Replacing stock speakers

civicfb2

I want to replace the stock speakers ,do i need to run an another amp or will the factory one be fine?

I want to replace the stock speakers ,do i need to run an another amp or will the factory one be fine?
This thread has a lot of really good info, including an answer to your question. If you don't want to read through the entire thread, take a look at the 15th post on the first page.

Last edited:
If the speakers can handle more "wattage" you will probably want to run an amp. You can get a small amp with something called, I believe, line level inputs. Basically you can use the stock factory headunit and upgraded speakers with it. Just replacing the speakers wont add much to the overall sound. The stock radio doesn't put out enough power to run better speakers effectively.

I don't know a lot about audio but it's something I looked into for a while. It seemed like a pain so I left it alone. So, other than changing out the head unit, a small amp with line level will be the route you need to go.

@squiggy knows a lot about audio stuff. He might have something to add.

Does the stock stereo in the FB even have an amp? I know the Si has one, but I don't the think the FB does.
I will be adding an amp when I do this.

I won't be much help with the line out converter stuff. I just ran RCAs all the way to some amps and new speaker wire from them.

We need to know if your Civic has the Premium Audio System. The Si sedan and Si coupe have the Premium system, and the EX and EX-L Coupe have the Premium system. All other Civics have the standard stereo. If you have a standard stereo, it has a powered head unit so you could replace the four speakers and that will improve your sound quality over the stock speakers. You could also add an amp using a line out converter or amp that accepts high level speaker inputs for better sound, along with replacing the stock speakers. If your stereo says "Premium Audio System" at the top, then your stereo is unpowered, and has an external amplifier. The external amp has built in crossovers for the front tweeters, rear speakers, and subwoofer. Replacing the speakers in that scenario may not improve your sound since they would be receiving the frequency modified sound from the external amp. You would get better sound by replacing the factory amp and factory speakers with an aftermarket amp, speakers, and a custom sub built in the trunk. Replacing the factory sub in the rear deck is a waste of time. You would also need an amp that is compatible with differential balanced inputs because the Premium system is wired that way. JL Audio amps are compatible. If you decide to replace the head unit with an aftermarket stereo, then you can match it with any aftermarket amp and speaker combination.

I have a question to add to this thread, with my SI my speakers, sub especially, just do not kick enough. If I wanted to upgrade the speakers, could I just pull the factory amp out and use the same wiring for a new one? since obviously there would be a remote, ground, etc for the new amp already. Or should I rewire it with new ones (I dont mind doing either) but I am curious as to whether the stock radio has RCA plugs in the back of it for the amp sound. hopefully that made some sort of sense

I do know that the stock radio does not have RCA connections.

I have a question to add to this thread, with my SI my speakers, sub especially, just do not kick enough. If I wanted to upgrade the speakers, could I just pull the factory amp out and use the same wiring for a new one? since obviously there would be a remote, ground, etc for the new amp already. Or should I rewire it with new ones (I dont mind doing either) but I am curious as to whether the stock radio has RCA plugs in the back of it for the amp sound. hopefully that made some sort of sense
There is a thread on here with all the amp/radio pin outs. That might help you decide on what direction you want to go for rewiring.

Could you pull the factory amp and use the same wiring. Answer, yes. See my post in the Audio thread entitled 2013 Premium Audio System Navigation Stereo Upgrade. The shop removed the factory amp and spliced RCA plugs to the existing wiring to connect to a JL Audio amp that is compatible with differential balanced inputs. Infinity and JL Audio make amps that are compatible with differential balanced systems. You need one of those amps. They also used the existing speaker wires to connect to the outputs on the JL amp for the new speakers. They used the factory remote lead, but ran a new power line to the battery and used a separate ground. The stock radio does not have RCA plugs, but the Premium Audio unit in the Si is an unpowered head unit with pre-amp outputs. You have to buy RCA plugs and splice them into the existing wiring. The shop did it all from the A and B wiring harnesses at the factory amp. They didn't even have to pull the head unit from the dash. Use the link posted above for the wiring diagram and scroll down the page and you will see the wiring diagram for the external amp in the premium system. My stereo upgrade post also has links to the wiring diagrams.

If the speakers can handle more "wattage" you will probably want to run an amp. You can get a small amp with something called, I believe, line level inputs. Basically you can use the stock factory headunit and upgraded speakers with it. Just replacing the speakers wont add much to the overall sound. The stock radio doesn't put out enough power to run better speakers effectively.

I don't know a lot about audio but it's something I looked into for a while. It seemed like a pain so I left it alone. So, other than changing out the head unit, a small amp with line level will be the route you need to go.

@squiggy knows a lot about audio stuff. He might have something to add.
Bought a Kenwood sub, which slides under the front passenger seat, and seems to fill in pretty good. Found out it was a bastard to try to take out rear speakers, so plastered Dynamat all around them, and it seemed to help quite a lot. Getting ready to do the front doors, and want to hear from anybody else who has done the same.

Back