Sony unsure if PlayStation Network user data was stolen

Sony Hit with Another Lawsuit, Plaintiff Seeks One Billion Dollars

A Canadian law firm, representing a plaintiff who claims Sony has breached her privacy, is suing the company and all its subsidiaries for $1 billion Canadian dollars.

21 year old Natasha Maksimovic has enlisted the services of Toronto law firm McPhadden Samac Tuovi LLP to claim damages in excess of $1 billion (Canadian) against all Sony subsidiaries, including Sony Japan, Sony USA and Sony Canada. Maksimovic claims that Sony has breached her privacy and must "pay the costs of credit monitoring services and fraud insurance coverage for two years."

"If you can't trust a huge multi-national corporation like Sony to protect your private information, who can you trust?" Maksimovic said, proving she's never played Final Fantasy VII or indeed dealt with a huge multi-national corporation before. "It seems Sony focuses more on protecting its games than its PlayStation users."
Sony has 20 days to file a statement of defense.
=========

yeahhh good luck with that

77+ Million PSN Users - A Group Lawsuit regarding the breach in privacy would be nice.

I'd be happy with no less than $10-$15 million per user. Write me a check Sony!

:usa: :canada:

They did take some personal information. One of my friends got old people stuff charged and sent to his house without his consent. :pat:

Updated:

PS3 owners can finally access Netflix on their game consoles again after Sony started to restore the PlayStation Network(PSN) over the weekend, but they shouldn’t expect any grand welcome back gestures from the streaming video company. Netflix isn’t offering any discounts or refunds to people affected by the PSN outage, I was told by a spokesperson today.

That’s a stark contrast to Sony, which plans to offer all kinds of goodies to make up for the four-week outage. PSN members will receive a free month of PSN Plus membership, and PSN Plus members will also get a month of PSN Plus access for free.

They did take some personal information. One of my friends got old people stuff charged and sent to his house without his consent. :pat:

SOE says that there was "no evidence that our main credit card database was compromised" in the recent attacks, but "information from an outdated database from 2007 containing approximately 12,700 non-US customer credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates (but not credit card security codes) and about 10,700 direct debit records listing bank account numbers of certain customers in Germany, Austria, Netherlands and Spain may also have been obtained." The company promises to notify any of the affected customers "promptly," but it looks as if US-based players are safe for now.

- if they have odd charges on their credit cards, they need to talk to the bank/credit card company asap. It may not be related to this hack

i heard you can download two free games from the playstation network. I'm not sure how it works though, I tried logging onto the playstation store today and it wouldnt let me.

I read that the store is not actually fully up as of right now. Reports are saying it could be till the end of the month until the store itself is functioning. Just the network for gaming is up for people.

my gosh, they cannot get things together

Just released in the last hour:

=======

It's the nightmare it must have been dreading. Evidence is mounting that one of Sony's fresh PSN security measures has already been circumvented.
The exploit allows people to change users' password via the PSN password reset page using only a PSN account email and date of birth – both of which were obtained by hackers in the original breach.

It was first exposed by Nylevia.com, and while on the face of things it looked unlikely Eurogamer now claims to have verification of the hack's authenticity.
As a result, PSN sign-in is now unavailable on a number of Sony's sites. The site that password reset emails direct users to has also been taken down.
"Unfortunately this also means that those who are still trying to change their password via Playstation.com or Qriocity.com will be unable to do so for the time being," a Sony statement confirmed.

Sony Ericsson online store, Sony BMG Japan reportedly hacked

Attacks mount as hacker group says it looks to embarrass Sony

--------

Sony's security woes are continuing unabated as two more hacking groups today claim to have broken into the company's networks.
According to information posted Tuesday on Pastebin.com, hackers have apparently broken into a database at Sony Ericsson's Eshop online store for mobile phones in Canada and extracted the names, usernames and passwords of thousands of users.

The Hacker News, an online news site, reported that the Eshop hack was carried out by Idahca, a Lebanese hacking group. The hackers claimed to Hacker News that they extracted the whole database and have leaked its contents via their Facebook and Twitter accounts.

The news site also reported that hacker group Lulz Sec claims to have accessed a database of Sony BMG Japan and posted its contents, minus usernames and other personal information, on Pastebin.com.

Lulz Sec also claimed to the Hacker News site that it has discovered more vulnerable Sony BMG databases. The news site posted links to two pages on Sony Music's Japanese Web site that it said contain the SQL injection vulnerabilities used to break into the Sony database.
Sony did not respond to requests for comment on the reported hacks.

Chester Wisniewski, senior advisor at security firm Sophos, said it isn't clear whether the hackers could inject data into the vulnerable Sony BMG Japan database or simply access its contents. "If they are able to alter the records, this could be used to insert malicious code that could be used to compromise people browsing the [Sony BMG Japan] site," Wisniewski wrote in a blog post today.

The latest attacks were said by the Hacker News to be enabled by SQL injection flaws on Sony websites.
THN editor Mohit Kumar told Computerworld in an email that the Sony Pictures' site in Japan may have also fallen victim to a hacker attack, while another of the company's sites in Europe contains the same flaw that allowed hackers to break into the other Sony sites. That site has not been reported as being hacked, but hacker groups are actively discussing breaking into it, he claimed.

If you tried to sign into PlayStation Network on your PS3 or PSP in the last 30 minutes, you may have had no luck. Do not be alarmed: Sony says that PSN will be down today but that it's not another security issue.

The company posted today on its PlayStation blog that PSN will be undergoing "maintenance" between 8 a.m. PT and 5 p.m. PT. That means many users will have trouble signing into the service on their PlayStation 3 console or PlayStation Portable handheld, but can still sign in to play games online, including on Sony Web sites such as PlayStation.com.

Back