Squiggy's 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder

Finally caved and put a fitted cover on the MR2 today.

Probably won't be able to get it out until April.

I have a short shift kit and short ram/cold air intake to install. The intake actually puts the air filter behind the FUNCTIONAL side scoop. I actually would like some new side scoops that dont look faded and boring.

Short of that, I am getting the (tiny little) windows tinted (dark) and having a paint correction/detail done.

Ohter than that, it absolutely needs new shocks/struts this year. Unfortunately, so far, with my limited research, it doesn't tolerate lowering all that well.

Also, I want new wheels (which I may hold off on due to cost/difficulty of finding wheels I like that confrom the the stock size offset).

Tires are original...but seem to be fine upon inspection. Not a single indication of dry rot. Still worries me a bit, but I really don't want to get new ones without getting new wheels first.

Speaking of wheels! Throw some color suggestions at me! I know I have asked this before, but want to restart the conversation...still leaning towards a darker bronze though.

SO, my question is...do I leave the rest stock or do some mods?

Last edited:
SxQYiaA.jpg
A dark gunmetal or bronze would look good with black. Honestly about anything would prob look good with black.

Replaced the side vents with 2003+, better looking ones.

Ordered harnesses and mount kits for an aftermarket stereo.

Have a short shift kit, base bushing, and shifter bushings to install.

Have a short ram (cold air) intake...filter sits behind the side vent.

Scheduled an appointment for 18% tint.

very nice. You'll have to snap some pics of the changes

very nice. You'll have to snap some pics of the changes
The side vents look SO MUCH BETTER than the crappy faded grey looking ones. The new ones are legit JDM/OEM replacements. I could only find one set for sale and they came from Japan.

Tint won't be done for about 2.5 weeks.

Scheduled an appointment for 18% tint.

Interesting. Around here you only hear about 20%, 15%, 10%, or "Limo Tint" (5%).

Of course people get the legal tint % of 35 but that's too light for my blue eyes.

Interesting. Around here you only hear about 20%, 15%, 10%, or "Limo Tint" (5%).

Of course people get the legal tint % of 35 but that's too light for my blue eyes.
I was going to go with 20%, but the guy said the 18% is from a different manufacturer and looks a lot darker.

Legal limit here is 30%. Like you, I am very sensitive to the sunlight. I can never find sunglasses that are dark enough and even wear them on most overcast (non-grey rain cloud) days.

Reactions: Dad
I was going to go with 20%, but the guy said the 18% is from a different manufacturer and looks a lot darker.

Legal limit here is 30%. Like you, I am very sensitive to the sunlight. I can never find sunglasses that are dark enough and even wear them on most overcast (non-grey rain cloud) days.

Yeah it's crazy every company has different darkness tint %. I know the 20% 3M tint on my '15 WRX was not as dark as the current 20% (unknown brand) tint on my '15 Accord

I'm the same with sunglasses. I always have them on (rain, cloudy, snow days).

Reactions: Dad
New tires came in last week. Dark bronze wheels will be here in a few weeks.

I also put a JDM front badge and steering wheel badge on. Planning on removing all rear badging soon. Ghosting will be an issue, but "I know a guy". (Not @RaskyR1)

And, about to buy a new header/downpipe...

nice. what wheels and tires did you go with? Rasky just helped me a bunch with a really bad classic single stage paint correction job that took almost 40 hrs :bleh:.

Back