Still getting popping noise.

phil136

Los Angeles CA
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Sedan
After installing my H&R springs over a month a go I started getting a popping noise on the front passenger side as i turn the wheel while parked or turning the wheel while doing really slow turns, 3 point, parking spaces, etc.

It a sequence of 3 pops turning the wheel in either direction, separated by several turns of the steering wheel. Its a very distinct pop that sounds like the spring under tension getting released after going an uneven surface and the popping against metal after clearing that uneven surface .

i have read that can happen when the top hats are not installed correctly.(arrow point to the front of the car)

So I installed the new shocks/struts yesterday and was gonna check what could be the problem. of course my top hats were pointing in all diff directions(LOL). I made sure that they were in correctly this time. I also inspected the springs. I noticed that the passenger side spring had way more rubbing wear between the coils. I threw on some grease between the coils just for the heck of it.

After all was done. same damn noise. Its not that big of a deal but i would really like to solve this. Perhaps there was damage to the top hats after wrong install. Although visually I couldn't see anything wrong. Im starting to think there's something wrong with spring.

IM gonna recheck all the bolts are torqued to spec as I dint have time last time.
:surrender:

Last edited:
Have you cut the bump stops?

Top top nuts are torqued at 33ftlbs I believe.

Last edited:
Popping noise is normal, and will fade eventually. Most people with sportlines and h&r's have the noise and it goes away after a long while. Been about 3000 miles with my springs on and the noise finally went away

sure hope so Im just over 3k on the springs. Why would it be just the passenger side though. grrr

Last edited:
Update: dont know what it means. Jacked up my car passenger side (side with noise) rotated wheels back n forth,,,, no noise. Greased springs and perch(half assesd); put car back on the ground, same noise.

Read about 30 forums without resolution. I really doubt this noise is gonna go away on its own.:rantsmiley:

Update: dont know what it means. Jacked up my car passenger side (side with noise) rotated wheels back n forth,,,, no noise. Greased springs and perch(half assesd); put car back on the ground, same noise.

Read about 30 forums without resolution. I really doubt this noise is gonna go away on its own.:rantsmiley:
How many miles has it been?

Im counting down the days. Really annoying. Have you had a chance to look at your springs? If so have you noticed wear between the coils?

No I haven't looked at them yet, but from what I've read, the noise congress from the top of the spring hitting the top hat, not the coils rubbing

Last edited:
i have same issue. it is the coils laying on each other (binding.) if you put car on lift and clean area of contact with brake cleaner / something comparable it will temporarily stop the popping noise. it will return. short of putting in little rubber inserts between coils i have found no permanent solution. sorry for the bad news.

if you lift car you can see where they are touching....and if you put car on algnment rack and turn wheels back and forth you can see where the springs are popping out of "place" and causing noise. i was depressed when i discovered it as it was driving me bonkers after i used tire shine/armoral to clean springs / struts it got 10xs worse to the point i thought something was mechanically wrong.

this is because coils are not touching when car is in air. only with weight on springs will the coils touch.

Back