Stripped bolt hole

davefootball123

Hi all, I was changing my air filter today and noticed one of the transmission mount bolts was not secure. I backed it out and noticed the hole has been stripped and won't secure tightly now.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I don't really want to spend too much money, and the other two bolts on the mount are fine.

I was going to get some JB Weld steel weld and then put a release agent on the bolt and thread it into whats left of the stripped hole to rebuild the threads.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

year/model/trim of your car? Pic of where it is? It would help to look up the part to see the cost. I don't think JB weld would work well at all on the threads of a mount. Does the mount itself have threads in it? Or, is it threads into the trans that actually stripped?

You should do a helicoil or tap it and use a larger bolt

I have used jb weld on a suspension bolt because the nut was stripped. The bolt mounted upwards so the head pointed down so I packed the nut/hole with jb weld and sprayed oil on the the bolt and screwed it in, waited 12 hours and torqued the bolt to spec. I never removed the bolt since but its still there.

JB Weld is runny so keep in mind if its just a nut, JB Weld will drip down

its a 2012 Civic LX, the bolt is the transmission mount bolt that has the stud coming from the transmission. The aluminum hole for the stud has the threads stripped out. Good to hear about the JB weld, given the other two are holding good (torqued to spec), and that its on the motor side of the mount rather than the frame side (the mount will allow all the flex), I'll give JB weld a try as I would imagine it could hold the force given your use for suspension.

Was going to use just a little bit of motor oil on the bolt and thread it in before the JB weld sets and then let it cure.

Dave,

On my sir swapped civic eg the bolts holding the engine mounts to the block snapped and sheered off. Left me with stripped threads and broken off bolts that were torqued down pretty hard. From my experience helicoils were a useful product considering the only other alternative was to bore it out to a bigger thread size as well as bore out the mounts. Still it was a tedious and stressful process since the cost of a making a mistake was pretty much losing an engine block. I ended up calling my buddy who was a machinist to help which gave me confidence. Had to pull the engine to take out the bolts and to get the holes straight and lined up which u would most likely have to do in ur case though I’m not familiar with how the r18’s sit it the engine bay.

With that said I have nothing but good experiences with jb weld. Cracked transmission case. I just cleaned everything up really good, applied the jb and it held for two years with no leaks no problems till I sold the car. I’ve also used it in cases like @freggie and it worked fine though never on a car.

I personally wouldn’t use it to secure a tranny or engine mount. Sorry for all the words lol.

Edit: There should be some videos of people using helicoils in situations like urs on YouTube. Good luck!!!!

The other 2 bolt holes are good, torqued to spec, 60 ft/lbs. I wonder if doing this one and then torquing to spec would support 60 ft/lbs. The transmission mounts aren't torqued like the other two mounts on the car (bottom mount requires over 70). I'm going to try the JB weld and report back, I guess the worst than can happen is the JB weld fails and I helicoil it.

Dave,

I do have a positive experience with JB Weld, I had to re attach an exhaust finisher bolt. While obviously not torqued quite as high, it seems to have done good with 20ft lbs and heat.

Will report back.

For anyone wondering, I ended up going with Permatex Steel Weld Epoxy. Rated much stronger than JB Weld, and reviews show the same. The description even states that it can be threaded and can be used to repair stripped threads.

Back