Sunofwolf Random Banter Containment Thread

Your not in ME, its much colder here. I play with battery's all the time and had a braille- racing 17pd-they don't work in cold weather. CCA power is req 500 ever start max, optium is 450cca-not really enough. braille is much less cca. But for there size Braille are powerful. Best bet is for me wally 3yr war. Napa would be ok but more dough. I keep looking at this battery stuff, but so far wally is the best for the money for sure.:chopwood:

Nope, but I have been over seas where the temperature is much colder than Maine and we were using the yellow top that worked just find. The extreme heat like here, is not good for a battery just like the cold but they make heat blankets for batteries and oil for your situation. Each there own. And the Odyssey extreme has 950 CCA

Last edited:
Oem size only so I don't have to do anything except replace and know it not going to fail. I look at yellow top again, I have zero experience with optium batterys. don't think they make a odyssey extreme in 51r. The honda isn't effected as much as a neon by battery weight by a wide margin. The 51r is 2 pds lighter than a 26r neon battery. I compare the two battery's:joke: again. the optium yellow :lildevil:is much more pretty then the ugly everstart max.

For what it's worth, I've been in Maine (as well as Washington State) in the winter (in Presque Isle, ME, Madawaska, ME, and Bremerton, WA; heck, I got accepted to and almost attended UofME at Orono) and have never had any issues with any battery I've had installed at the time other than just standard failure due to age and what not. To include Die Hard, Interstate, Optima Red tops, and Optima Yellow tops. While I understand the concern for CCA and wanting the reliability of the battery in the cold season (which we all know is quite long in Maine), your counter-argument about weight savings of 2lbs, battery appearance, or what not are just B.S. excuses. I would worry less about a 2lbs savings or addition if it meant that I could depend on the battery; your handling for a 2lb difference is negligible and unless you're driving at the limit everywhere you go (getting speeding tickets for frayed/broken throttle cables weekly), you're not going to notice this. So, stop wasting everyone's time with excuses. You choices are, reliability, cost, or quality, pick two and call it a day.

And, I've had both good and bad experiences with Optima batteries; just like any other battery, they have had quality issues. The thing I love about Optima batteries is they are maintenance free without having to worry about electrolyte depletion (like a typical liquid lead-acid battery) and they don't acid up the electrodes much at all (if you've every had a Die Hard, you'll know the pain). Do Wal-Mart batteries have these issues? I'm not sure, I don't buy anything from Wal-Mart unless I have to as I don't like them as a corporation; but if you're happy with them, last you the length of time you deem to be enough to be satisfied with your purchase, and start the car in the dead of winter when you need it to, then it sounds like it is what you want.

Last edited:
check the internet the optima battery's now made in Mexico and are junk.
I should have bought that Walmart battery everstart max 51r weighs 29 pds that more than my neon cheapo battery's. So the max weighs a little more than cheapo batterys.The better battery's weigh more. Why did I bother with this subject, its a big purchase and the difference in size not use to this style tall instead of wide. I was disappointed in napa legend dead at about two years.

What is wrong with a battery made in Mexico and how does that make it junk?

Mexican people take more pride in there work than almost all American's. And like I said the military uses Optima batteries for their vehicles and the amount of stress we put them through is good enough for me to say it is a damn good battery.

If you only trust your Walmart battery why even say anything to just argue your personal opinion on a web review you seen? Everyone will have a different experience with a single battery for example we have gotten a few bad batteries(you want believe it but every company has this problem) in the hundreds of vehicles that take 4+ batteries each so imagine 1 person getting that battery and giving a bad review about the battery(because who really logs on to give a positive review anyway).

You do have a good point-I do not know if the optima is good or bad. The only thing I know is the everstart max is 29 pds weight on scale and the optima is 26 pds and its not because of Mexico, I wouldn't buy something- I was rooting for Elchapo son perhaps a bad idea. I found a optima battery at advance auto who I do trust and it has a three year replacement with a special $48 off comes to about $200 and some change. I could get one tomorrow. The military was likely buying them when they were not made in Mexico. A little more research-I do like the design. been under the gun lately with cranberry harvesting, almost done and they turned out excellent.:corndance: Perhaps I am just trying to turn a battery into magic-its just a stupid battery

Last edited:
At one time that was true, Optima when Johnson bought them out in the early 2000s they moved the plant to Mexico for multiple reasons one being we could not produce enough batteries fast enough I believe the American plant closed in 08 or 09.

The weight of the battery comes from how it is made some lighter batteries are sometimes better.
AGM, GEL, Wet Cell, VRLA, SLI, Deep cycle and so on so the weight will jumps up and down depending on the type. You say you have bad roads with harsh bumps I would aim for a sealed battery that is less prone to shock and being damaged.

I am not saying to get one of the Optima batteries just in my personal experience they have worked phenomenal. but hey now that I say that tomorrow my battery is probably going to die now.

Well lets see if advance auto will install a optima battery-20% off about $206, I like the sealed nature, and it won't corrode anything. Kind of funny I have a super light weight Honda VFR 800 battery that has lasted three years now and its a laptop type hybrd battery non exploding, a sealed battery usually last maybe two years, it so small-I look at it again-I have a sticker on the side of what it is-saved two pds and is super powerful for it size-not a lead based battery. But since you claim it works, I am kind of fascinated by batteries, I have a tickle charged and a old but excellent western auto 10amp charger. I have some dialectic grease too. And 3-2 pounds less is always a good idea. By the way I had to special order it to be dropped off at auto zone. They had none in stock which isn't surprising. Looks like a very pretty battery too, I hope it works. These r direct fit battery's optima 51r, I could not find a direct fit red top!

Last edited:
When you say sealed battery, that overlooks the actual battery type. A sealed lead-acid battery, I agree, they don't last long as a by-product of the charge/discharge chemical equation is water (evaporation) and the electrolyte depletes over time (I mentioned this in my previous post on this subject); hence, why you have to add water to a typical lead-acid wet cell battery and why so-called "maintenance free" batteries don't last very long (2yrs sounds about right). However, other types of sealed batteries, AGM/Gel (like Optima), do not have electrolyte depletion. Li-ion (which sounds like what you have in your VFR based on calling it a lightweight "laptop style" battery) also does not deplete (although, Li-ion batteries are prone to other issues besides exploding, just FYI). So, "sealed" does not mean much, the chemical type is what matters and determines how a battery performs. If you want an independent review, I linked the Consumer Reports testing results and recommendations in an earlier post in this thread; check it out as that is about as un-biased of an opinion as you can get.

Also, you commented on the weight of a battery meaning it is better; I think there is some credibility to that with regard to lead-acid batteries alone as more weight generally means more lead which means either more cells or more lead in the same number of cells. A typical lead-acid battery has about 20lbs of lead in it; so, 2-3 additional pounds of lead could mean more stability and more material for chemical reaction. Although, mySIck could also be correct, and it is just more of other materials (like thicker plastic casing, more space for water/electrolyte, etc) and the battery itself is no-better than any other one (again, Consumer Reports ratings are a good way to look at these comparisons when shopping for big purchases). So, I'll also add that I don't necessarily agree that heavier is better as a universal truth; for example, I don't necessarily want a motorcycle helmet that is 2-3lbs heavier than a lighter equivalent one as it generally means the heavier one is made of cheaper materials (such as fiberglass or poly-carbonate materials versus carbon fiber).

As for the Optima quality issue, they did go through a bad phase when the plant moved; I too have had some bad Optima batteries; however, the past few I've had have been good. I have a yellow top in my Stealth, and I would have to check to be sure, but I believe I am on my 4th or 5th year with it. Again, no real issues to date with my past couple of Optima batteries. I also do keep my bike (Yuasa sealed lead-acid wet cell) and my Stealth on battery tenders when they're not in use which does help prolong the life of the battery.

Last edited:
Well maybe they fix the problems as they would have to keep replacing them under war which is three year replacement, buts good to know as the different type of battery's are confusing.:shady: But one battery I wouldn't buy is the napa legand died just a bit after its lousy replacement war of only 18 months.-I didn't buy it-the only other owner of the Si - old man with a bad knee did-not speed racer the teenager or joe blow the idiot Modder. Old geezer who almost never really drove it. Dead at less than 2 years sounds like a napa scam-that battery is $159 retail. If it doesn't have a three yr war, I wouldn't buy the battery except if was really cheap like the $50 Neon batterys were at wally only 1yr war, but they last at least two yr.:bananawhipdance:try and figure out the twisted mind of the wolfee:pianodance:

Last edited:
Its a pain is *** getting a rare optima yellow top 51r seems I have to wait another day for the computer to update at advance auto who is giving me a $48 discount on it-retail price is $249 which is too much for me, I would rather pay $206 total. Well the honda has been sitting now for a week with a tickle charger on the almost dead napa over priced dud. Battery scam's are all over the place. The is the best 51R battery direct fit battery, but not easy to get a fair price on one with the 3 yr replacement war. Battery War's are Fun!:rotfl:

That is crazy, if you order it from there website with the battery maintainer you get a full 4 year warranty.

showing the price at $237. advance auto its around $208 with 3yr war. Buying direct you would have to pay for shipping which would be a lot to return battery. Advance auto no shipping charge on returns. I am going for lowest price with 3 yr war that I can return easy. I haven't found anything that really beats advance auto.

How did you pull that? Maybe I can add my 10% to that?

I looked at the Optima universal battery today and it $260. It has double the power of the 51R but is about 1.5" wider so my turbo piping might get in the way.

Back