Supercharger vs. Turbocharger

The cost factor is going to be the biggest hurdle. You'll probably be looking at 3k+ difference to start out.

I'm just looking at reliability aspect mostly now (I had a turbo on my Volvo and it's at 120k miles and still runs so I guess that is a testament to a turbo granted the turbo came on the engine stock so it was made for it...) If I was going to get an aftercooled, ported, (possibly venom cooled) supercharger which is about 2.5k on top of the 3.75k then it sounds like a turbo is winning this debate as long as I don't push the turbo too much. (Stay at like 300-320 and below WHP?) If I'm going to spend 2.5k on my supercharger that is almost the 3k difference already, if I'm that close, it really doesn't matter to me either way.

There are plenty of happy 300-450hp turbo owners on 8thcivic. Just saying.

Simply installing either a supercharger or turbocharger will not make your car any more or less reliable, necessarily. Reliability mostly depends on the quality of the car, including the tune, and your driving habits. Although, I would say, theoretically, the supercharger would put more strain on the engine than the turbocharger when externalizing all other factors present in all forced induction systems which increase power output. I'm not an engineer, but the supercharger being belt driven means more wear on the engine just to operate it, whereas the turbo is being driven by exhaust gasses, which probably equates to about as much strain on the engine as having a restrictive stock exhaust and catalytic converter.

Simply installing either a supercharger or turbocharger will not make your car any more or less reliable, necessarily. Reliability mostly depends on the quality of the car, including the tune, and your driving habits. Although, I would say, theoretically, the supercharger would put more strain on the engine than the turbocharger when externalizing all other factors present in all forced induction systems which increase power output. I'm not an engineer, but the supercharger being belt driven means more wear on the engine just to operate it, whereas the turbo is being driven by exhaust gasses, which probably equates to about as much strain on the engine as having a restrictive stock exhaust and catalytic converter.

Thanks, that's kind of what I want thinking. I spoke with someone today about it and although they were in favor of the supercharger for ease of install and such, I brought up the parasitic power gain (take power to make power) part of the supercharger and with that he kind of conceded. My last turbo car ran like a top until I stopped driving it so I'm hoping this one will do the same. I got into contact with Full-Race and will see where it takes me!

webby I've actually read many thread on 8th before today about supercharger builds and turbo builds, seems like both groups end up with a smile on their face in the end -- and that's the main goal for all of us anyways. :)

Thanks for the discussion, I'll update when I make my final decision in my build thread!

I hate these threads because it is not an arguable subject.... It's like pc and Mac, Xbox or ps3, iPhone or android.... Smh

Ill try to sum this up since I beat the ever living **** out of my 8thgen Si at 15psi and 376whp/288wtq for over 16k miles.... Redlining everyday.... Boosting WOT everywhere...
(GT3071 modified greddy kit installed/ tuned by jay(mucter) )

The "lag" turbos have is nothing to bring into the convo... With the right turbo and right tuning(vit) that is so non existent it's not even funny...
The main difference between turbo and supercharger(I've driven jays CT-E and kraftwerks) is that a turbo really slaps you in the face with TQ, throws you in your seat and keeps you there until you let off... It really catches you by surprise and is really fun expierence and hilarious to the un expecting passanger....

Superchargers is such a smooth gradual pull it gets faster as the rpms climb... You don't get that immediate pull once boost hits.... It just pulls..... It's an interesting difference And coming from turbos it was weird...

How the turbo "lag" comes into this is really for DD turbos don't have lag... You just slowly press the gas an you can FEEL and hear the turbo spooling giving you the perfect amount of power you want...(more and less depending on how much you give the throttle) turbos work on how much engine load there is not rpm....

You can have full boost/tq at 3000-4000rpm which is not bad at all and is actually nice and comfortable for a DD..... So the whole "not dragging my car" thing is bullshit.

Now as far as upkeep.... The only thing I EVER did was an oil change every 3k miles... ZERO upkeep what so ever... So the whole"turbos are harder to upkeep and maintain" is more bullshit... As long as you have a good install its fine.

Install and tune will seal the deal on any aftermarket part.... Most issues are from user error....

Now, turbos are a lot more to change on the car and they aren't exactly the easiest to bolt on to these cars but I think if you want to spend the time and money on a build... Turbo it...
And plan on hitting 400whp cause no matter what anyone says... 300whp is slow and you will get bored especially knowing that you can turn the boost up an get more out of it.... Plus the k series can take 400whp forever.

I personally plan on supercharging my 13'si.... The reason is I have been the turbo route, I want to try new things. (Plus the plastic intake mani sucks and supercharger will fix that) also with the power you can pull from a supercharger (350-450) now..... I am okay with that... When they use to only reach 300whp turbo was the obvious choice but things are different now.

Uninstalling a turbo will really leave your car looking like a hooker at a gang bang, so I am also doing the supercharger as a quicker route, and easier mess to clean up.

There is so much more I can write about this but at the end of the day the "pros" and "cons" are really pointless to argue, no one is "better" just a personal choice.... Unless you drive both(in a k series 8th/9th) you can't say which is better or what one you like cause turbo is more fun in my opinion but superchargers are simple and have good results.

I think for a k24 a supercharger is a good idea because turbos make **** loads of TQ and these cars are already torquey as it is unlike the k20

That's my rant/ 2 cents

Now as far as upkeep.... The only thing I EVER did was an oil change every 3k miles... ZERO upkeep what so ever... So the whole"turbos are harder to upkeep and maintain" is more bullshit... As long as you have a good install its fine.... I think for a k24 a supercharger is a good idea because turbos make **** loads of TQ and these cars are already torquey as it is unlike the k20

i agree with most everything you said - except theres no way the integrated manifold k24 cyl head will work as well for superchargers as it will for turbo engines.... you guys arent going to see 8th gen levels of SC or NA performance - unless you swap an 8th gen cyl head on. regardless the 9th gen is a great platform you just need to know your stuff to modify it - a little more than the 8th

Last edited:
i agree with most everything you said - except theres no way the integrated manifold k24 cyl head will work as well for superchargers as it will for turbo engines.... you guys arent going to see 8th gen levels of SC or NA performance - unless you swap an 8th gen cyl head on. regardless the 9th gen is a great platform you just need to know your stuff to modify it - a little more than the 8th
:word:
From a tuning aspect and how the integrated manifold flows ect I know that can take affect. thanks for the input on what I posted:)

9th gens without turbo and without cat are LOUD, but not in an exotic fancy-sounding way... its harsh sounding due to the cyl head

What about with a turbo but with your exhaust (my current plans)? As compared to without -- the video gave me an idea, just wondering. I'm in contact with you guys (Jeremy) for ordering a turbo at the moment, just got a shop down here to quote me on the install as well. I'm so excited! :D

EDIT: Just read that you have to remove the fog light for this kit? Epic sadness.

<OT>Also nice name, mine too -- don't see many Geoffs around.</OT>

Last edited:
I hate these threads because it is not an arguable subject.... It's like pc and Mac, Xbox or ps3, iPhone or android.... Smh

Ill try to sum this up since I beat the ever living **** out of my 8thgen Si at 15psi and 376whp/288wtq for over 16k miles.... Redlining everyday.... Boosting WOT everywhere...
(GT3071 modified greddy kit installed/ tuned by jay(mucter) )

The "lag" turbos have is nothing to bring into the convo... With the right turbo and right tuning(vit) that is so non existent it's not even funny...
The main difference between turbo and supercharger(I've driven jays CT-E and kraftwerks) is that a turbo really slaps you in the face with TQ, throws you in your seat and keeps you there until you let off... It really catches you by surprise and is really fun expierence and hilarious to the un expecting passanger....

Superchargers is such a smooth gradual pull it gets faster as the rpms climb... You don't get that immediate pull once boost hits.... It just pulls..... It's an interesting difference And coming from turbos it was weird...

How the turbo "lag" comes into this is really for DD turbos don't have lag... You just slowly press the gas an you can FEEL and hear the turbo spooling giving you the perfect amount of power you want...(more and less depending on how much you give the throttle) turbos work on how much engine load there is not rpm....

You can have full boost/tq at 3000-4000rpm which is not bad at all and is actually nice and comfortable for a DD..... So the whole "not dragging my car" thing is bullshit.

Now as far as upkeep.... The only thing I EVER did was an oil change every 3k miles... ZERO upkeep what so ever... So the whole"turbos are harder to upkeep and maintain" is more bullshit... As long as you have a good install its fine.

Install and tune will seal the deal on any aftermarket part.... Most issues are from user error....

Now, turbos are a lot more to change on the car and they aren't exactly the easiest to bolt on to these cars but I think if you want to spend the time and money on a build... Turbo it...
And plan on hitting 400whp cause no matter what anyone says... 300whp is slow and you will get bored especially knowing that you can turn the boost up an get more out of it.... Plus the k series can take 400whp forever.

I personally plan on supercharging my 13'si.... The reason is I have been the turbo route, I want to try new things. (Plus the plastic intake mani sucks and supercharger will fix that) also with the power you can pull from a supercharger (350-450) now..... I am okay with that... When they use to only reach 300whp turbo was the obvious choice but things are different now.

Uninstalling a turbo will really leave your car looking like a hooker at a gang bang, so I am also doing the supercharger as a quicker route, and easier mess to clean up.

There is so much more I can write about this but at the end of the day the "pros" and "cons" are really pointless to argue, no one is "better" just a personal choice.... Unless you drive both(in a k series 8th/9th) you can't say which is better or what one you like cause turbo is more fun in my opinion but superchargers are simple and have good results.

I think for a k24 a supercharger is a good idea because turbos make **** loads of TQ and these cars are already torquey as it is unlike the k20

That's my rant/ 2 cents
Very helpful.. Thank you.. Im installing the prl kit now.. Almost done.. And i think i mad a good choise.. It was a ***** installing with no lift though.. But yea, i dont see how much maintenance i will have to do..just oil change.. And tires haha

one more point to mention- integrated manifold K24 with no cat will make your neighbor's ears bleed...

Haha I have had mutliple complaints about my no cat- full race setup. neighbors hate me hahahaha But to add to this I will most likely super charge, just seems like and easier install and that is really what I want. For now all I need is the injectors, fuel pump, and kit. And I will be good to go

Back