Tach gauge or shift light ???

9thgizzyguy

Vehicle Model
Civic si RR
Body Style
Coupe
Hey guys i wanna know if anyone has done a tach or shift light in their 9th Si yet ??
if so is their a tach wire under the hood or behind the cluster and what color i wanna install a shift light but if anyone knows this it would make my life alot easier for me and others lol.

Hit me up guys let me know what info you got b4 i start my surgery lol..

I don't quite understand the point of this, since we have shift "lights" already in the 9th gen SI. When you get 4 yellow and 2 red lights on the v-tech indicator it is time to shift.

yeah but my left hand always blocks where the lights shines and i feel they put those lights in an awkward spot to begin with so most of the time when im in the high rpm realm i dont even see them and i dont like how i gotta take my eyes off the road for that split second to look at them or at the rpm gauge id rather a nice big light in front of me telling me its time lol .

i feel the shift lights should have been mounted in the center of the dash or under the windshield so it reflects off the window straight at your face like the speedo HUD's

I think the 8th gen had one on the right. I don't have an issue at all with the location, but we all have our preferences with seating position and wheel position. I just typically use the tach and the sound and feel of the engine to shift.

yeah it would have been nice if the lights were on the right.

:thumb:it would have been really cool if the i-mid screen blinked red to let you know to shift lol

no takers huh ?
ok ill continue my research and post what ever i find here and possibly a DIY in case any one else is interested in doing this too.

I actually don't look at either, I'm looking straight ahead and go by sound

133346BC-1FE4-430D-89A3-F6949ED83ABC-6490-00000CE4E7B15989_zps281e3a80.jpg

I'm picturing this above your wheel....

you have pics of what you're trying to buy?

I actually don't look at either, I'm looking straight ahead and go by sound

thats what i usually do too but i just dont feel taking my eyes off the road for that split second man in this day and age anything can happen in a split second .

@webby i had that in my teggy back in the days and somthing like that is just way too cluttlery for me ...i ordered a glow shift , shift light and its just the tube part with a rpm knob on the back of it so it can be adjusted on the fly with a red lens ...
so it can be mounted behind the steering wheel or anywhere else of a small space .

:thumb:BUUUT ! i have an idea so as soon as i figure it out in my head and how to do it i will for sure post up my results lol

So i was just wondering if anyone new exactly where the tach wire was so i can tap into it and it would save me a world of time lol.

Last edited:
I figured id ask here first before i start searching for it with a volt meter lol

on the 8th gen si -

"I used the fuel injector and it works perfectly. For anyone needing this tach wire, there are two wires coming out of the fuel injector plug. Test both wires... the correct tach wire will show around 12v when engine is on and 0v when engine is off."

:thumbsup:SWEET @webby thats great thank you and ill update as soon as i figure out the idea i have and post a DIY

on the 8th gen si -

"I used the fuel injector and it works perfectly. For anyone needing this tach wire, there are two wires coming out of the fuel injector plug. Test both wires... the correct tach wire will show around 12v when engine is on and 0v when engine is off."

Unless I'm doing something wrong, both wires tested 12v when engine is on....

I'm on the side of why? If the car's rpms were that quick to rev then maybe I could see a shift light needed as time to react is minimal but this is no speed demon. Learning the sounds and feel of the car would be better IMO. If you like the look or feel it helps you more than go for it but to me it seems like and added waist.

Back