Terrible radio reception after sub install????

Doublestack00

GA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
So last week I installed a sub and amp. It sounds great when I listen to a CD or usb/phone. But since the install my radio reception is pretty much gone. If I unplug the remote wire to turn the amp on it instantly clears up and I get all the channels again.

I've been reading on Google for days and have yet to come up with a good solution. I've installed countless subs and amps in the past and I have never had this issue. Anyone have this problem or found a solution?

I am about to just take it out, I love the extra bass I feel the audio in the car is perfect now but I listen to the radio a lot.

Only thing I can think of is trying a different spot for your remote wire. Where do you have it now?

I am stumped on that one. My sub install works perfectly, but it was also done by an audio shop. My amp is under the passenger seat and it is using the factory amp turn-on lead that went to the factory amp. The radio antenna is in the rear window, so maybe his wiring has something to do with it, such as the location of his amp and what he chose to provide the amp turn-on signal.

Im thinking maybe the turn on lead was tapped into the antenna somehow to maybe even the rear defroster but thats a stretch

Since he has an Si with premium audio, he should use the turn-on lead that feeds into the factory amp.

Im actually thinking the same thing Bulky, the amp on a remote wire is so mediocre that it should have any interference to other surrounding wires. I further diag the problem. I would start by running a simple 16-24gauge wire from the battery positive terminal to the remote-on. If thats to much, then you can run a wire from the amp's positive to the remote and see if it still runs interference.

Im actually thinking the same thing Bulky, the amp on a remote wire is so mediocre that it should have any interference to other surrounding wires. I further diag the problem. I would start by running a simple 16-24gauge wire from the battery positive terminal to the remote-on. If thats to much, then you can run a wire from the amp's positive to the remote and see if it still runs interference.
Good suggestion, jump the remote and power at the amp and see if you still have the radio drop out. we are assuming you have the power cable from the amp going straight to the battery. Right? Where is it grounded at? And where is the remote lead connected? Then we may be able to help further.

I've looked around and people who have installed the power and remote on the other side of the car are having the same issue. Mounting the amp under the seat might solve it, may mess around with that.

This is the answer I got from another forum and I think it is what my issues is.

"What EffBee said, I ran into this problem with the RSX's as well with the rear window antenna and through trial and error we found out that some class d amps were not as well shielded as others which caused interference with the reception and this sounds like your issue. Biggest culprits were the maxxsonics amps (Hifonics, Crunch, Autotek, and MB Quart) only solution we found was to switch to another amp brand or a class ab unit."

I've looked around and people who have installed the power and remote on the other side of the car are having the same issue. Mounting the amp under the seat might solve it, may mess around with that.

This is the answer I got from another forum and I think it is what my issues is.

"What EffBee said, I ran into this problem with the RSX's as well with the rear window antenna and through trial and error we found out that some class d amps were not as well shielded as others which caused interference with the reception and this sounds like your issue. Biggest culprits were the maxxsonics amps (Hifonics, Crunch, Autotek, and MB Quart) only solution we found was to switch to another amp brand or a class ab unit."
That could be. Although I don't have one of the amps you listed I do have a class D and no trouble like what your having.

Back