Text Messaging and pandora

patm95

Trying to figure out some nuances with our new EX-L w/ Navi and not being able to find it in any searches. First I have an iphone 5s and I can receive text messages, have them read, but the option to reply is greyed out. Is there anyway to enable this, or is my phone not compatible? Honda's website only goes up to iphone 5 and ios6, but says it's compatible.

My 2nd question would be that when we are listening to pandora, there doesn't seem to be an easy or intuitive way to navigate back to listen to songs stored on the iphone. I couldn't do it without actually uninstalling pandora. Is there an easy way to navigate back to native songs on the iphone?

Thanks.

The behavior that you're seeing with your iPhone is completely normal. The car can receive texts but cannot respond. Certain manufacturers can but the iPhones cannot. The Honda Handsfreelink page breaks down what each manufacturers phone can do.

As for Pandora, I haven't tested this to be sure, but I would think just killing the Pandora app should let you get to the songs on your iPhone.

Thanks for the reply. I did try killing the app, but that didn't seem to work. Whenever I toggle through the available sources, I only get a Pandora option, no ipod option.

What if you disconnect your phone, kill the app and then reconnect? A bit of a pain when you're driving obviously but I'm thinking that should work.

Good call. That did do it. I must say that I am somewhat disappointed as I thought that it would be a more seamless integration with my phone.

Did you see the USB or Bluetooth as sources? Also how are you looking at sources? On my wife's 2014 SI, I have to look at the sources on the audio of the main center 7" screen to get to Pandora, as that is not listed on my imid source selections. There may be a certain set of sources for one or the other. I can switch between bluetooth and pandora from the main screen. If you are talking about on the Iphone itself, home button does nothing?

I have android and there is a limited set of reply's that you can send from the car.

Last edited:
Seems to me, in order to solve issues with safety gray outs to stop ppl from using their hands for texting would be to develop the software so we can speak the words we want to be sent in a text while driving.

That is one of the things I absolutely love with my phone (Lumia 1020) Even if I am driving my Fit it will read my messages and allow me to respond, just say anything after the beep. Then it's back to music as per usual. I'm not up on Pandora (being in Canada and all Eh) but I know for me AHA and Nokia Mix radio both work great, but they do both stream through the Bluetooth source so i have to close the app and re-open my own music catalog if I want to get back to "my" music.

Seems to me, in order to solve issues with safety gray outs to stop ppl from using their hands for texting would be to develop the software so we can speak the words we want to be sent in a text while driving.

Unfortunately, Honda only supports Iphone 5 and up with the voice recognition features through siri. https://owners.honda.com/utility/do...ommon/HondaLink_iPhone_Connectivity_Guide.pdf https://owners.honda.com/utility/do..._Civic_4D_Si-EXL-NG_NAV_Voice_Recognition.pdf

That is one of the things I absolutely love with my phone (Lumia 1020) Even if I am driving my Fit it will read my messages and allow me to respond, just say anything after the beep. Then it's back to music as per usual. I'm not up on Pandora (being in Canada and all Eh) but I know for me AHA and Nokia Mix radio both work great, but they do both stream through the Bluetooth source so i have to close the app and re-open my own music catalog if I want to get back to "my" music.

Does that mean your car can transfer your voice to text?

The only way I can see this driver/texting issue solved is to force(government) all cars to have auto hands free voice to text only, or normal voice hands free. We do need to take the option of texting while driving out of the hands of drivers, we can't stop the ppl that will continue to text while driving without changing the software to not allow it...........

The only way I can see this driver/texting issue solved is to force(government) all cars to have auto hands free voice to text only, or normal voice hands free. We do need to take the option of texting while driving out of the hands of drivers, we can't stop the ppl that will continue to text while driving without changing the software to not allow it...........

Tuesday April 22, 2014
Apple today was awarded a patent by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (via AppleInsider) that describes technology to partially disable a phone when the user is driving. The patent details several different lockout mechanisms that block functions like texting and SMS in order to reduce distracted driving.

U.S. Patent No. 8,706,143 describes two main methods to block select iPhone features. The first method requires no input from the car and uses the iPhone's accelerometer and other on-board sensors to determine when a user is driving. Another method uses direct input from a car, which sends a signal to the iPhone that blocks a user from text messaging and using other mobile phone functions while behind the wheel.The lock-out mechanisms disable the ability of a handheld computing device to perform certain functions, such as texting, while one is driving. In one embodiment, a handheld computing device can provide a lock-out mechanism without requiring any modifications or additions to a vehicle by using a motion analyzer, a scenery analyzer and a lock-out mechanism. In other embodiments, the handheld computing device can provide a lock-out mechanism with modifications or additions to the vehicle, including the use of signals transmitted by the vehicle or by the vehicle key when engaged with the vehicle. The technology would contain a provision that would allow a phone to be used in a car by the passenger. This feature uses visual input and sensor data to determine whether a person is in the driver's seat or sitting in the passenger seat of the car .
As with all patents, this is proposed technology that may or may not make its way into a future device. Apple's in-car efforts now focus on the Siri-controlled CarPlay, which provides voice-controlled access to Maps, phone, messages and music.

The in-car technology initially debuted as a factory-installed option in new 2014 luxury models from Ferrari, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo and will be available as an aftermarket add-on via Pioneer and Alpine-branded receivers. It also will debut in 2015 Sonata models from Hyundai.

Thx @webby......... I'm glad to see that someone is working in that direction............

Does that mean your car can transfer your voice to text?
yes, its basically like using SIRI on the iphone. Mind you it does have issues from time to time and comes up with some pretty wacky stuff but if nothing else its good for a laugh and if you have to send a text while driving overall is pretty effective!

The best part is that it automatically asks when a text comes in...for example
"You have recieved a text from Bob Smith, would you like to read it?"
-yes (then it reads it to me)
"Would you like to Reply, ignore, or hang up (or something similar ...wording is probably wrong)
-then i speak my message, it reads it back and and i just say send. I do not have to touch my phone or even any of the hands free buttons to do this.

Its probably the safest text software ive seen

I have to read the manual more. I was under the assumption I was locked in to the ready replies on the screen. https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/i...features/SMS-Text-Message-and-Email-Functions

I think the Voice reply is a Siri only thing according to the manual. They need Google Now integration.
The Ex and higher trims were pretty much designed with an iphone 4s or better in mind. (Siri eyes free and the ability to project the honda GPS app onto the 7" touch screen) I had no idea my phone (and others in the Lumia series) were capable of doing text at all, it's really a trial and error thing. Best thing to do it experiment with your phone and see what it will let you do. Siri Eyes free is an easy one as it it the exact same as holding the home button on your phone to access Siri (the biggest issue is the commands as a lot of people i encounter have Siri but do not fully understand or use it) I use it on my ipad now constantly to set alarms, take notes, send messages and look up general trivia.

a lot of people don't know this but Siri has its own users manual built in. Simply say "Siri, what can i do?"

Which button do you press on the steering wheel and for how long to activate Siri eyes free? I'd like to try this with mine.

Which button do you press on the steering wheel and for how long to activate Siri eyes free? I'd like to try this with mine.
Its only on the 2014 EX and higher trim levels. What you do is press and hold the bottom bluetooth button (the one with the fella talking on it) until you hear a beep. On the 14 models it will show a picture of the button's icon on the 7" touch screen and beep which signals that Siri Eyes Free is active.

Back