The Dragon -- speed limits and speed traps

My driving style is slow on the straights and fast though the turns.
Most LEOs are set up to get speeders on the straights, not the turns.
Turns are fun to go fast, straights are boring.
Straights are going to give high speed tickets, turns that are over the limit aren't that much ticket wise.

Now remember this applies to me........

I go to the Dragon once a year and spend a week there, when I do the dragon I'll run it once in both directions at a normal pace, to check out the surface and "surroundings". Then I'll do about 10 laps, till my time from end to end starts to slow, which tells me I'm getting tired mentally. So I'll quit for the day and drive the other roads that are less intense.

That map makes me think of chum in the water. Oh loook, sharks!
"Blount County and the Tennessee Highway Patrol Cordially Invite You to Several Tickets Today." It looks like a blast of a road, but for that.

I go to the Dragon once a year and spend a week there, when I do the dragon I'll run it once in both directions at a normal pace, to check out the surface and "surroundings". Then I'll do about 10 laps, till my time from end to end starts to slow, which tells me I'm getting tired mentally. So I'll quit for the day and drive the other roads that are less intense.
Sounds like a great strategy! By the looks of it, i'll be done after Round 1. To avoid traffic and LEO how early does one have to hit it?

I was expecting a cage to come over the line at you. I watched the whole video and you were doing pretty good at staying on your side of the road(with the exception of your head crossing the line, and those were curves you could see around). Anyway thanks for sharing. I liked the way the cage driver was so concerned for you though, it's nice to see the sensitive side of ppl once in a while...... Glad you and your bike were ok............

Sounds like a great strategy! By the looks of it, i'll be done after Round 1. To avoid traffic and LEO how early does one have to hit it?
Well, the 1st thing is I don't ride on the Dragon on the weekend, just Tue tru Thr , in the mornings, and and to add to my pleasure I'll watch the riders too, from the Tail OTD lot, so as not to catch up with anyone before I start. It seems that in most cases the timing works going each way, because most riders stop at each end , where as I just do a U-turn and and head back, repeat.

Trucks(semi's) are only allowed on "The Dragon" from the TN side, and shouldn't be allowed at all. All TN needs to do is post a sign at a parking lot before entering the Dragon. And like everything else, it's not the Dragon it's the user, slow moving cruisers and sport bikes alike just over drive their skill levels.

I can tell you that the first few times I tried that I would be going pretty cautiously.
I've gone down there for 5 years in a row now, but do my riding during the week(I really don't care for being on that thing on weekends), But every time I get there I'll make one scouting run to look it over then make about 8 runs at my speed level before I start getting tired, then finish the day riding the other roads.

Last edited:
That's crazy.....
Ya, it looks like a lot of fun, but I think I would be constantly thinking about a semi trailer blocking both lanes around the next blind corner. Wouldn't it be great if it was closed to traffic at certain times, say 5 - 8 a.m. and was open only 1 way. They could charge people big bucks and give official times. I'd be in for that.

Looks like a lot of fun, but just can't justify driving that far to possibly put myself into a dangerous, or even potentially fatal position. IDK, maybe the video is exaggerating the danger. ???

Back