Thinking of purchasing an EX

Hey everyone. New to the forums here. 30 year old guy from New York and been driving a 2004 Mazda 6 for the last decade. Thinking of purchasing a 2014 EX Sedan for the reliability factor knowing it will probably last me another 10 years easily. Just wanted to get some thoughts from everyone here. Dealership says they can get me a really good deal on one of the remaining 14's. Took it for a test drive and it seemed great although I wonder if I will really adapt well to the CVT engine as I've been driving regular 5-6 speed automatics my entire life. I would accelerate from a stop like I'm used to and it's just a weird feeling not getting that shift right away.

One other HUGE and probably only gripe I have with the Civic is that there is NO volume knob anymore. Really!?!? I can't imagine I won't end up pulling my hair out everytime I simply want to switch off the music right away. It gets worse too, as the touch screen didn't exactly seem super adaptive to my finger when I played around with it on the test drive. I just can't picture people sitting around in a room deciding that was a good idea to get rid of the knob. Never seen that happen in a car in my life.

All advice is appreciated!

Last edited:
Hey everyone. New to the forums here. 30 year old guy from New York and been driving a 2004 Mazda 6 for the last decade. Thinking of purchasing a 2014 EX Sedan for the reliability factor knowing it will probably last me another 10 years easily. Just wanted to get some thoughts from everyone here. Dealership says they can get me a really good deal on one of the remaining 14's. Took it for a test drive and it seemed great although I wonder if I will really adapt well to the CVT engine as I've been driving regular 5-6 speed automatics my entire life. I would accelerate from a stop like I'm used to and it's just a weird feeling not getting that shift right away.

One other HUGE and probably only gripe I have with the Civic is that there is NO volume knob anymore. Really!?!? I can't imagine I won't end up pulling my hair out everytime I simply want to switch off the music right away. It gets worse too, as the touch screen didn't exactly seem super adaptive to my finger when I played around with it on the test drive. I just can't picture people sitting around in a room deciding that was a good idea to get rid of the knob. Smh.

All advice is appreciative.

You get accustomed to the touchscreen eventually. Definitely not as responsive as it should be considering what phones are capable of. Plus, you have volume controls available on the steering wheel. I am not a fan of the CVTs (wife has an Insight), but I have been driving manuals for quite a while now.

I suggest taking an Accord without a CVT for a test drive. It will be more similar to what you are accustomed to with the Mazda6, but have the reliability that makes a Honda great.

Agreed on the knob. It was one of the first things I noticed as well. It's easier to spin a knob in a fraction of a sec from max to zero versus hitting volume down on the steering wheel or unit. Others seemed to think it wasn't a big deal.

You should be able to score a decent deal since the 2015s are hitting lots. If one dealer has a ton of inventory, they will probably be your best bet.

Hey there,

As an ex-New Yorker I can say the civic will serve you well but I highly recommend snow/winter tires. My civic was easily the worst car I ever had in the winter with cruddy all seasons on it. With snow tires I never had an issue. Im from upstate so the snow situation is a bit different but that's just my experience anyway. The EX is a very nice car. We have 3 civics in the family and I can say the EX trim has some excellent features. I wouldn't worry too much about the CVT. The regular AT isn't that great either. You might be able to beat the price down a bit more if that's a sticking point for you.

Not to talk you out of the Civic but, not considering the new Mazda 6? I like the look of those a lot.

Yes, the new Mazda 6 is beautiful and probably the greatest looking car out of all mid size and compact sedans IMO. But when you're talking $25,000 for a mazda 6 touring as opposed to $19,000 for an ex(the deal I was presented) that has just as many goodies and even a moonroof which the 6 wouldn't have, it's hard not to save that 6 grand

Reactions: Nix
I hear that. I had wanted a new Accord but the price difference between that and the Civic was almost exactly the same as you describe.

May I ask why you want to buy regular Civic and the Si?

Price for starters.. A good couple grand difference...
and isn't the Si manual only? Hate to be that weird guy who says I only drive autos but well, it's true :P

Yes the Si is only available with manual. It's never too late to learn how to drive stick.:vtec:

Reactions: Nix
Just curious ... does anyone know how dealerships work in regards to getting rid of the previous years models? The dealer told me he would take a couple grand off the price of the 2014 EX for me. I wonder if I could get him even lower. I mean what happens to the 2014's if they just never sell?

Just curious ... does anyone know how dealerships work in regards to getting rid of the previous years models? The dealer told me he would take a couple grand off the price of the 2014 EX for me. I wonder if I could get him even lower. I mean what happens to the 2014's if they just never sell?

I would recommend going to the dealer at the end of the month. Also check this website truecar.com

Back