Tire load rating and speed

Chase

Hey so I need new tires for my 2012 SI HFP. I got brand new ones last summer that are bad now because of inside shoulder cupping is what I’m told. I was stupid and didn’t get an alignment after tires were installed and I thinks that’s where I screwed up because when I did get one they told me my front end was out. I’m not sure if anyone can speak on that but is that likely the reason for the cupping?

My main question is when I got these new tires last year the tires I had previously were 215/40ZR18 91Y. The new ones were 215/40R18 89W. The door panel shows that size but not sure if this could also be affecting anything wear wise?

anyone who could provide any info on this would be appreciated as I don’t want to have another set of these tires go within 8000kms. I’m also wondering if anyone has any recommendations for that size of tires that aren’t ridiculously expensive (under 800$ preferably) I’m looking at firehawk Indy 500’s

Load rating does not affect tire wear. Is the car lowered? Any suspension damage?

Dramatic inner tire wear is generally caused by toe being out of spec. Tire cupping is usually due to bad shocks but can also result from bad alignment.

You need to find the root cause of the problem before you install new tires.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Load rating does not affect tire wear. Is the car lowered? Any suspension damage?

Dramatic inner tire wear is generally caused by toe being out of spec. Tire cupping is usually due to bad shocks but can also result from bad alignment.

You need to find the root cause of the problem before you install new tires.

the car has the HFP suspension so it’s I believe 1 inch or so lower then stock SI but the set of tires I had previously never had this issue.

There’s no dramatic inner wear, in fact I can’t even really see any wear that looks off on the tires I’ll attach a photo. But the shop I got them balanced at recently said inner shoulder cupping (suspension) so I’m guessing their hinting at that.

I believe the HFP has different shocks and springs but the car only has 70,000km on it so I can’t see the shocks being that worn, i don’t know those parts that much how can you really inspect for damage to those parts other then pushing and seeing if it bounces which I’ve tried and everything seems pretty stiff

Only thing I can see is the sides

Attachments

• 0B7579E9-C210-4B5C-A2C5-A72AD9B6B909.jpeg
    0B7579E9-C210-4B5C-A2C5-A72AD9B6B909.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 8
Post pics when you can, if the tires are destroyed in 8000km, then something is wrong.

Attachments

• 829515BE-65E3-4339-A486-E4E9A6541DFE.jpeg
    829515BE-65E3-4339-A486-E4E9A6541DFE.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 9
  • D239D2AA-E4C6-4E41-880A-F983904A1A11.jpeg
    D239D2AA-E4C6-4E41-880A-F983904A1A11.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 8
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see anything odd in the picture?

That’s me too. I couldn’t see it either. The tires make a whirling noise when driving. At the start it was only at lower speeds but the more I’ve driven the worse it’s gotten and they sound terrible even on the highway now. It’s like a spinning/whirling noise or howling that goes with the rhythm of tires spinning depending on speed.

Tires look like they have a ton of life left on them from what I can see.

Tires look like they have a ton of life left on them from what I can see.

Yeah they should be good for another 2 seasons at least but yeah they sound awful and its screwed my fuel economy I’ve found. When I switched to winters they were silent no weird noises and my range went up nearly 200km

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back