Turbo Noob right here!

thatSIguy

Moore, Ok
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Si
I've made the decision to go turbo on the 9th. I am looking at getting 300-350 to the wheels. I am a little confused on about when I should upgrade my internals. Anytime I have had boost in the past, I have ran 7 psi of boost on the stock internals and it seemed fine and reliable. I know A LOT depends on the tune, but I would like some outside input on whether to go forged with the internals or not.

The fox marketing sema car had the full-race turbo. It had 450hp and it was running the stock internals. They had updated the clutch, but that was mainly it.

Compression ratio needs to be lower for higher psi.

You can run 7 psi, very safely on these engines. It's nothing.

11-12 psi would put you at about 400whp, and even that is considered a "safe" amount for stock internals.

You can run 7 psi, very safely on these engines. It's nothing.

11-12 psi would put you at about 400whp, and even that is considered a "safe" amount for stock internals.

^ I am going off of that train of thought. Before I got the turbo I decided on 10.5, but we will see where that goes. I believe there was also talk of the transmission blowing before the engine ever would. I'm not sure if that is true or what -- hopefully someone with that knowledge can chime in.

^ I am going off of that train of thought. Before I got the turbo I decided on 10.5, but we will see where that goes. I believe there was also talk of the transmission blowing before the engine ever would. I'm not sure if that is true or what -- hopefully someone with that knowledge can chime in.

Yes, you are far more likely to break your tranny before your engine gives. 300wtq is about the level the 8th gen trannies start to break. I'm not sure if the 9th gen trannies are stronger or not. My guess is they're probably about the same.

Last edited:
Back