what kind of oil does the 9th gen come with from the factory?

scott

New York
Vehicle Model
EX
Body Style
coupe
At my dealer the salesman told me that my car comes from the factory with regular oil ...and the mechanic tells me it comes with synthetic.

So who is correct? The confusion for me is my dealer recommends an oil change every 3k ...which wouldn't be the case if it were synthetic ....or are they just trying to get me to spend money.....LOL

I'm not sure about non-Si models, but the Si models recommend 0W-15 or 0W-20, not positive which without looking it up. As far as I know, there is no conventional oil available with the 0W properties. So if it is a Si model, I would guess that it comes with synthetic.

Is the dealership recommending you don't follow the Maintenance schedule that Honda recommends? I have about 2200 miles on mine, and it just recently hit the 70% on the Oil Life Indicater, which should put me close to the 10k mark for an oil change.

I'm not sure about non-Si models, but the Si models recommend 0W-15 or 0W-20, not positive which without looking it up. As far as I know, there is no conventional oil available with the 0W properties. So if it is a Si model, I would guess that it comes with synthetic.

Is the dealership recommending you don't follow the Maintenance schedule that Honda recommends? I have about 2200 miles on mine, and it just recently hit the 70% on the Oil Life Indicater, which should put me close to the 10k mark for an oil change.
I guess that was my confusion .... the manual states to go by the maintenace meter yet after my first oil change at the dealer (at 3k) they gave me a "next oil change reminder" sticker for 6K. So I thought that perhaps they used regular oil .... then I took it into the dealer the other day to take care of the recall and figured while it was in, do an oil change (I was at 7K). Thats when the dealer told me the civics take synthetic. Also the manual is not clear as it states I can use synthetic if desired.

I think I will just wait until the oil meter hits about 15% as Webby mentioned and change it myself with synthetic 0w-20.

I've been running semi in my non-si. If I had the si I would definitely run full synthetic. From the factory most cars run a particular blend you can't just go out an buy. For new cars with the break in period the oil most likely has additional additives.

I read on bobistheoilguy:

For Lexus/Toyota their "factory" oil is made by mobil and is very close to mobil 1 but, Toyota specs a higher additive blend so it's not exactly mobil1 that you can go out and buy.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Oh as far as how often to change the oil? I change my semi between 3500-4000 miles. The minder says 50% usually. Past that it starts getting dirty looking. I ran it to 5000 once and the oil looked quite bad. I don't trust the maintenance minder at all. If I ran full synthetic I think I'd stretch it to 6000. Depends on driving habits though.

I noticed with my prior Honda, my dealership switched to a reminder sticker that said "Next Oil Change Due at 15%"

I guess your dealership hasn't switched over yet?

I don't use no dealer!

Depending on how much/hard you drive you might want to get a used oil analysis and see how much breakdown of the additives and how much dirt/wear particulates are accumulating by the time you reach 15%.

I ran my accord over 201,000 miles on conventional oil but changed it every 3,000 because of breakdown of detergents and viscosity improvers.

Back