What level of vibration is normal

davefootball123

Hi everyone. Wanted to ask a quick question regarding what the normal amount of vibration from an engine is. Around 2500rpm at 3/4+ throttle, there seems to be a slight vibration, maybe resonance in my 2012 Civic R18 5MT. Nothing seems excessive however it is noticeable in the gas pedal when really getting on it. Does anyone else have any sort of vibration. There is also vibration from my winter tires which may be causing some sort of pseudo engine vibration but I'm not exactly sure. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ive got an R18 5speed and I dont have any noticeable vibration in that RPM range. Only start to get some above 4000 RPM

Maybe mention it to the dealer at your next visit

I'm wondering if I'm just thinking it's something when really it's not. The vibration isn't significant at all. You just know the engine is revving? I'm not sure if I can even class it as abnormal.
I'll ask the dealer next time.

Thanks for the reply. Will run some injector cleaner through and see if anything changes. Sometimes it seems smoother than others, potentially weather related? It's been a little colder as of late, as I'm sure you're aware (from the GTA myself).

This may not apply but what I've experienced with most 4 cyl's is around 2500-3000 there is a minor as can be vibration difference. I only noticed it at a stop in neutral, every Toyota car or truck do it that I've tried it on at work. 4 cyl's can't balance as good as v6/v8 so I assume it's a balance shaft"like" reverberation. Or I'm just talking bologna.

I have an REM so at 4-5 grandish the vibration is ear splitting. Lol.

For anyone wondering, the vibration turned out to be intake related. Stock box doesn't vibrate at all. I have the Takeda TR-1020B. Maybe its the airbox bracket vibrating?

I actually did replace the transmission mount from a very low mileage wrecked 2013. Smoothed things out a little bit more as well.

Last edited:
Maybe I can get some thoughts on this. While putting the stock intake back on did improve things a lot (1500-high rpm), with little vibration while driving, I have an interesting one that has come to light.
Sometimes the clutch and takeoff in first gear is buttery smooth with no issues, while other times there seems to be some vibration from the clutch and some potential clutch shudder along with some clunk sound from the drive line and slack in the drive line that can be felt. It's not always the case but when it does its noticeable. Also causes a slight but noticeable vibration at around 2000rpm. As stated above, I replaced the transmission mount, that really didn't do much. I'm wondering if it could be the lower torque mount as I've heard these symptoms from that before, or potentially the passenger side mount. Other potential issues could be clutch related but I'm more skeptical about that given the inconsistency with the issue.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks.

Gonna take the car in Tuesday to see what is up. Hoping I will get some answers. the Inconsistency is the odd part.

Back