What suspension should i use?

I honestly believe if those who are buying coils are not going to track their cars, Buddy Club is a bit over kill.

Are you saying I won't track them? I'm actually planning to track my car in May. If you haven't seen my thread on 9thgen I made one talking about tracking my car.

My strong opinion is that anyone considering tracking their car does not want Buddy Club or most of the blingy coilovers. Go with a good solid Koni Sport setup and you will have a car that is both nice to drive and way better for the track. Whether or not you do coilovers with the Konis is up to you, but anyone interested in a good handling car should really consider the Konis.

Chris

Koni's are good too but I'm waiting to see what buddy club puts out before I buy a set. And judging by your username you're probably bias towards them too so your opinion doesn't really matter to me. No offense.

haha... understood. You don't know me at all; so I am not offended. Hope you do enough research to make a good decision. Just give them Konis a look...they are better than what most people tend to buy, especially for what you want out of them. And btw I am not biased by anything other than what works..... that exactly why I like the Konis. Did you know KW adjustable shocks used to be Koni internals? Now they do there own thing, but they learned if from Koni. Did you know most of the big race shock manufacturers were started by Ex-Koni engineers (like JRZ, Moton, etc). Did you know Koni has won about 150 Formula 1 races? Do you know how many F1 races have been won by all the other coilover companies discussed on these forums combined? Zero.

Give them a chance. There is a reason I recommend them. btw Koni is far from all I deal with everyday.... it's 1 of about 15 dampers brands I could recommend... but I don't usually recommend the others... except KW, Bilstein, and a precious few others. Definitely not Buddy Club. ack..... They are ok for just street driving... but when anyone mentions track, you become a different type of consumer.... so that's why I chimed in. Hope you'll not just dismiss them because I recommended them. :)

Cheers,
Chris

This guy knows all about suspension. Btw, is Koni still made by ITT Corp?

haha... understood. You don't know me at all; so I am not offended. Hope you do enough research to make a good decision. Just give them Konis a look...they are better than what most people tend to buy, especially for what you want out of them. And btw I am not biased by anything other than what works..... that exactly why I like the Konis. Did you know KW adjustable shocks used to be Koni internals? Now they do there own thing, but they learned if from Koni. Did you know most of the big race shock manufacturers were started by Ex-Koni engineers (like JRZ, Moton, etc). Did you know Koni has won about 150 Formula 1 races? Do you know how many F1 races have been won by all the other coilover companies discussed on these forums combined? Zero.

Give them a chance. There is a reason I recommend them. btw Koni is far from all I deal with everyday.... it's 1 of about 15 dampers brands I could recommend... but I don't usually recommend the others... except KW, Bilstein, and a precious few others. Definitely not Buddy Club. ack..... They are ok for just street driving... but when anyone mentions track, you become a different type of consumer.... so that's why I chimed in. Hope you'll not just dismiss them because I recommended them. :)

Cheers,
Chris

Nice to know. I know they're good, my cousin has them. I've read up about them before and on Red Shift motor sports so I have a good idea of what they're like. Which is why I'm waiting to see what buddy club releases. I will definitely keep them in mind, and I'll pick what I believe is best. But hey, since you say you're not bias, maybe you can point out the pros and cons of the buddy clubs and koni's when the buddy club ones are released.

Last edited:
Chris knows his stuff. If you need suspension advice he's the guy to ask on here.

You can get the Konis in a coilover setup also if you are looking for adjustable ride height.

Chris knows his stuff. If you need suspension advice he's the guy to ask on here.

You can get the Konis in a coilover setup also if you are looking for adjustable ride height.
Never said he didn't, I'm sure he knows his stuff. I seen their product line up for the 2012 Si. Just wanting to see what others release before buying anything. Thanks though.

I heard BUddyclub/Ksport/Skunk2 are made by the same manufacturer or maybe I'm mixing it up. Lol.

Last edited:
The bottom line is most of those coilovers are made to a price point rather than what works. The dampers are the most important part of the suspension, and none of those dampers are good. All have 1 year warranties I think.... And yes most of them made by similar or the same plants in asia. I've been to Japan and China a few times, and I know well how things work in that part of the world.... shocks like that are fine for your rear hatch, but they are just not really that good where their performance is important.

One thing that you will find is that you will see twin-tube Konis like Sport and SPSS Race shocks all over amateur racing and running up front. You basically NEVER see Buddy Club, Skunk2, or any of those "price point" coilovers on any track. And the Konis are made so that they don't beat you up...they don't have to. That's a part of what makes them good... beating you up is the same thing as not controlling the mass of the car well. A Koni Sport will be both more comfortable and faster through the corners than the above coilovers..... and we are talking shock vs shock. Then you put whatever spring you want on it.... a lowering spring is great and so is a coilover setup. But the damper is what's important....

Chris

The bottom line is most of those coilovers are made to a price point rather than what works. The dampers are the most important part of the suspension, and none of those dampers are good. All have 1 year warranties I think.... And yes most of them made by similar or the same plants in asia. I've been to Japan and China a few times, and I know well how things work in that part of the world.... shocks like that are fine for your rear hatch, but they are just not really that good where their performance is important.

One thing that you will find is that you will see twin-tube Konis like Sport and SPSS Race shocks all over amateur racing and running up front. You basically NEVER see Buddy Club, Skunk2, or any of those "price point" coilovers on any track. And the Konis are made so that they don't beat you up...they don't have to. That's a part of what makes them good... beating you up is the same thing as not controlling the mass of the car well. A Koni Sport will be both more comfortable and faster through the corners than the above coilovers..... and we are talking shock vs shock. Then you put whatever spring you want on it.... a lowering spring is great and so is a coilover setup. But the damper is what's important....

Chris

So what Koni set up would you recommend to someone who daily drives their car but also wants to track 2-3 times a year?

Koni yellows with Neuspeed Sport springs.

Run -1.25 camber F and like -1.5 R with a larger rear sway bar.

Last edited:
Or Neuspeed Sports if you don't want the car too low.

Yep Neuspeed Sport with the rear upper spring isolator from the 8th Civic. And you have to take a half of full coil off the rear Neuspeed Spring to make the car level.... but that's totally ok in that case. Doesn't cause any trouble at all.

Chris

Chris

not bias ?? you guys gotta be kidding me...

koni is good, there is no question about it...

you never seen people race buddy club because your in scca... this video shows you buddy club is not some garbage brand, just like spoon sports, they actually own a real racing team, the current buddy club owner made his fortune as professional race car driver.

Last edited:
Back