Why do people buy LX civics and then spend like 10k on RICE?

People in this thread are getting way too defensive and salty

I did not intend for this to happen haha

Don't worry. You didn't hurt my feelings. I'm not as much defensive as passionate about what I do. I would rather see a community that educated people instead of criticizing. Which I why I am here and not over there.

And I don't believe you started the thread not intending to ruffle some feathers. Especially if you've seen all the modified R18 build threads around here.

Also someone call @07TLX - If you can beat this guy at the dragon then you can say the R18 is not fast. He will annihilate you.

:rotfl: I am fast in the corners so that I can keep up in the straights...

I attribute that to balls of steel!

That's part of it.... Don't forget I have between 2-3 grand in suspension and tire mods. Plus I know how my car handles and drives at the limit and beyond.... It surprises people that I can rotate the back of my car like a RWD car.

I ask this question thou, what is your definition of RICE...
Would you call this car ricey because of the white wheels or the SI muffler with 2.25 inch piping with no resonators..

image.jpg

Big wings, stickers on the windshield (or just excessive in general), carbon fiber overlays :hiding: (I really just dislike CF in general), fake badging, poorly designed body kits, exhausts that simply make noise, non-functional hood scoops, etc.

I almost bought white wheels. Hell, I may still powder coat the ones I did buy. Wheels are more of a statement of personal taste than they are a ricey mod.

@Twitch
I just read your reply. That was so well said. Bravo. :clapping:
I loved the point you made that our cars do the same speed as Si's but take more time to get there. I really enjoy driving my LX. It' s not fast but it is peppy and certainly fun to drive. I love taking corners fast and rest assured that i take them as fast as any Si.

The Si was not an option for me and an automatic transmission was because my wife doesn't know how to drive manual and drives it at times. The suspension and appearance modes that I have done have made my car into something that I must look back at every time I park and walk away from it. Irregardless of what I have just said, I ask myself how can someone be against a car enthusiast? We all adore cars and enjoy driving. Shouldn't that be enough?

Last edited:
People in this thread are getting way too defensive and salty

I did not intend for this to happen haha
You did not intend it, but I would suggest to be a little more careful with your choice of words in the future: specifically the title. Perhaps you now can see that it was a little exaggerated and provocative. I can't speak for everyone, but it seems the tone of this thread is calm and open. I can say for myself that I am not salty.

You did not intend it, but I would suggest to be a little more careful with your choice of words in the future: specifically the title. Perhaps you now can see that it was a little exaggerated and provocative. I can't speak for everyone, but it seems the tone of this thread is calm and open. I can say for myself that I am not salty.
Well I'm an old Salt.... it's called the U.S. Navy, and thank you.

Last edited:
RICE is not provocative

Body kits, spoilers, and teal wheels are race inspired cosmetic enhancements

:rotfl: I am fast in the corners so that I can keep up in the straights...

That's part of it.... Don't forget I have between 2-3 grand in suspension and tire mods. Plus I know how my car handles and drives at the limit and beyond.... It surprises people that I can rotate the back of my car like a RWD car.

Would you call this car ricey because of the white wheels or the SI muffler with 2.25 inch piping with no resonators..

View attachment 48369
I don't see any obnoxious body kits or GT wings so I wouldn't call it rice

Depending on how loud your exhaust is it could be labeled as RICE

rice is an acronym

If I can say it's a race inspired cosmetic enhancement then it's rice.

I know I am jumping in late, but I agree with basically both sides of this discussion..... to a point. I own an LX with the auto, and at the time I had no choice. It also fit my situation with a long daily commute and wife who couldn't drive stick. Up until recently, the only change I made was a set of wheels. When I was highly active in the car scene (meets, shows, racing), I had a base model 97 Jetta. I built that car up to be extremely fun to drive. I was undefeated in my local autocross club in the FSP class, and I was dead consistent when at the drag strip running in the brackets.

I took pride and was admired by fellow car enthusiasts for what I achieved with a base model, economical car. I have now been bit by the same bug, and after checking finances decided I am better off modifying what I have rather than buying a better car and still ending up wanting to modify it.

As for riced out cars, I will always laugh at ridiculous mods that have no function......but to each his own.

The concept of a sports car has changed considerably from the days of the classification meaning an expensive two-seater primarily meant for racing. Now we have super-cars, hyper-cars, and race cars to fit those classifications. To me a modern sports car is one designed to be enjoyed when driven spiritedly. i.e. higher horsepower, suspension upgrades, MT, etc (edit: in comparison to what is available at the time)
Off topic, but not......... By crossing to other things we do, I can see how things go from being a standard, to becoming physically different but accepted as if the whole definition is now wrong......... "KAYAK" Use to be a canoe like boat that is enclosed with a top over the rider.... Now, it's described as pretty much anything that looks close to the shape of a kayak even if you sit/kneel/etc. on it, instead of in it.

I guess the point I'm now seeing, is that standard definitions of anything can be changed and much easier excepted, than before words which are now changing every day. Like Peeps(people) put'in-down(writing/saying) whatever(anything) they want, and even make up their own words just to sound bad(cool).

Premium gas...$3.50ish difference a tank. Fill up every other week. $91 a year. Not really a whole lot. Decreased mpg on the other hand depends on how you drive. Fully bolted/tuned and I still average about 30mpg.

Insurance...not as expensive as you would think (some insurance companies don't even differentiate the Si from the other models):

Compare insurance premiums for 2012 Honda Civic models
Premiums below are a nationwide average of rates from six major car insurance providers for a 40-year-old single man, no accidents or violations, commuting 12 miles each way to work, $500 deductible for collision and comprehensive coverages, 100/300/100 liability coverages ($100,000 inbodily injury liability coverage per person, $300,000 total per accident, and $100,000 in property damage liability coverage).

Model Style Cylinders Expected premium
Civic DX 4 Door Sedan 4 $1,281
Civic LX 4 Door Sedan 4 $1,322
Civic EX 4 Door Sedan 4 $1,363
Civic HF 4 Door Sedan 4 $1,364
Civic 4 Door Sedan 4 $1,372
Civic 4 Door Sedan Hybrid 4 $1,372
Civic LX 2 Door Coupe 4 $1,444
Civic EX 2 Door Coupe 4 $1,482
Civic SI 2 Door Coupe 4 $1,509

Higher payments are a trade-off for the money dumped into an LX/EX to make it "better." Or you could just put a bigger down payment down using the money that would have been spent on mods and get the payment closer to what an LE/EX would be.

Manual transmission...is better if you are really into performance cars.

Si takes premium gas
Si is more expensive to insure
Si has higher car payments
Si only offers manual trans

All fair reasons to go with an R18

Why bother spending 10k extra on the highest trim level of Civic when you coulda upgraded to an Accord?

Some people dont wanna spend almost 30k on a Civic (Si's are much more expensive in Canada). Seems silly to buy the base model for others. It's all about what you need the car for and your personal financial situation

Come on... let's see you in September.

In my opinion, buying and spending $$$ on LX civic to me is a personal preference and people's choices. The same applies to buying a condo, coop, a house. Buying a huge house does not necessarily mean that one is living better than me. I could live way better with my family in a smaller house or condo than living in a huge gigantic house that puts myself into a lot of financial issue and family issue such being separated and disconnected. I could get a smaller house and work on my way up by putting $$$ to fix up the house more nicely and comfortably. It is the same reason why I got the LX.

I am working on making it look nicely by putting some cosmetic mods and more comfortably by changing a better suspension, wheels, seats, etc. For the speed performance, if I got some extra money, I can think about modifying it but no deal to me at all. I may put extra money toward getting another car for my family and fixing up my house.

I know Si is nice. But hey, it's not my choices at the moment when I got my LX and also at this moment. And Si is not really a huge different than LX in my preference.

Its because that's what they want to do. It's like saying why did you mod your Si, you should have bought a wrx, Evo, Mustang, camaro or any other number of cars that are better platforms than even the Si for performance.

Its because that's what they want to do. It's like saying why did you mod your Si, you should have bought a wrx, Evo, Mustang, camaro or any other number of cars that are better platforms than even the Si for performance.

Just taking this a step more.... How can anyone knock someone else's car unless they own the "best car of the time"..... Like gun slingers, there will always be a faster gun....

Back