Winter Weather Storm 2.0

you just said you were waiting for snow in the last post. :snow:

roads are a MESS here. Quite a bit of ice

ochee.png

A massive pileup involving as many as 80 vehicles has closed down Highway 401 east of Oshawa, Ont.
An Ontario Provincial Police spokesperson told CBC News that all westbound lanes of the highway are closed and traffic is being diverted.
It appears the worst part of the pileup is near Newcastle, at the Highway 35/115 exit.
"It just never ends. We stopped counting at 70 cars," said Filippo Fazzino, who was driving on the highway when the pileup happened.
Const. Linda Wolf said the weather conditions are far from ideal and have undoubtedly played a role in the accidents.
"It's too early to say what was the cause of the collision. We definitely will be looking at the weather conditions. We do have unfavourable driving conditions right across the Greater Toronto Area right now, so it's a wonderful opportunity to remind everybody to turn your headlights on, slow down, be aware of your stopping distances."
EMS officials say there is at least one injury that could be considered life-threatening, and several serious injuries.
But medical responders say considering the level of the accident, there is "more wreckage than injuries."
Wolf said it will take quite some time to clean up the mess and get traffic moving again.

B0wld.gif

snow has ended. spent the last couple of hours driving in the snow. only seen one accident which is pretty good considering. the snow is hard and packed on the road. the civic did good, vsc only came on twice.

A week ago thursday we got 3-4 inches in Greensboro, NC. Before the first flake landed... This is what happened at the grocery store. Bread and milk ransacked lol. Southerners are nuts. The high for the next day was 45. You woulda thought it was the end of the world. I just moved there from Illinois. I never new that they would freak out like this. My gf even got off work early. Im out of town right now but they got ice last night. Glad I wasnt there for that one.
IMG_0697.JPG

A week ago thursday we got 3-4 inches in Greensboro, NC. Before the first flake landed... This is what happened at the grocery store. Bread and milk ransacked lol. Southerners are nuts. The high for the next day was 45. You woulda thought it was the end of the world. I just moved there from Illinois. I never new that they would freak out like this. My gf even got off work early. Im out of town right now but they got ice last night. Glad I wasnt there for that one.
View attachment 9263

This is not southern thing. Even up here in northern Indiana, if the forecast says snowstorm, people still flock to the stores and destroy the bread, milk, water, and toilet paper sections. It doesn't matter if they are calling for 6 inches, 9 inches, or 12 or more. If the news says storm, they act like the world is going to end.
Source: worked in a grocery store way too many years.

Got some snow in PA, had a little fun, trying to save the transmission till I get into the shop

I talk about this in my class all the time. I teach geology so we're always talking about natural disasters and when people ask about predicting earthquakes and volcanic eruptions I like to point out our inability to handle the crisis of 3 flakes of snow. Once we had some unpredicted snow, a few years ago, and the entire highway system shut down. People who lived 30 minutes away from home had to get hotels.

When I lived in Louisville it was business as usual when it snowed. We never had a snow day when I was in high school.

Dunlop Graspic DS-3 snow tires. This is their third winter & they work great still.

I always run snows in the winter. It's been mild and dry but every so often a big storm drops a bunch of snow and it's nice not to have to worry about it at all.

Back