Check Brake System, Check ABS System, Check VSA & Check Power Steering

KendeR

Hey All... Been lurking in the forums and have had this baffle me.

I have a 2012 Civic EX-L Navi and had it for almost a year. I keep regular maintenance on schedule.

On a road trip yesterday I all of a sudden as I was driving received the following message in this order on my dashboard and iMID :

Check Brake System
Check ABS System
Check VSA System
And after a minute...
Check Power Steering System.

Then, I power the car off, and drive off it's fine for a while and then, repeats.

The power steering abs and brakes were perfectly fine with no loss of power to the engine or anything strange it drives perfect even with the lights on.

I had the voltage checked on the alternator and the battery and they both are perfectly fine. So now I'm left a little baffled as to what the situation is because clearly it is an electrical short somewhere.

I've seen threats started about this but nothing ever really concrete about what the solution was.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

KendeR

Awesome. I will have to give them a shout. Much appreciated. That might be the issue.

bauer311

Fayetteville, NC
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
This happened with my 15 ex about 4 months after I got it. Took it to honda and it just needed am ecu update like @webby said. Haven't had the issue since. Also, I know it sounds crazy, but check your fuses. I was told it could also be from that. If one that controls those systems is blown or missing in the fuse box it will cause the same thing

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

KendeR

This happened with my 15 ex about 4 months after I got it. Took it to honda and it just needed am ecu update like @webby said. Haven't had the issue since. Also, I know it sounds crazy, but check your fuses. I was told it could also be from that. If one that controls those systems is blown or missing in the fuse box it will cause the same thing

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Thanks for confirming the ECU update. It's odd it would just malfunction. With the fuses, Good thinking. I will check those too!
Your ideas are much appreciated.

KendeR

I just called Honda and they told me it's likely a software update - though they want to charge diagnosis of 120$ first lol. Ah well. But your thoughts gang, seem to be spot on, and for that I thank you. Though it's not a firm diagnosis, I will update once I have it remedied for those like me who have this happen to them.

KendeR

In a surprising turn of events....vsa modulator. And that's after I called 3 different Honda service depots all saying it's likely an electrical fault.

And...price tag is $1500 including parts and labor

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
In a surprising turn of events....vsa modulator. And that's after I called 3 different Honda service depots all saying it's likely an electrical fault.

And...price tag is $1500 including parts and labor

They physically looked at your car and said the vsa modulator was faulty?

KendeR

They physically looked at your car and said the vsa modulator was faulty?
Yes indeed. That's what they told me at the dealership. They had it on diagnostic this morning and physically inspected. Called me and said that's the culprit.

KendeR

The part itself was 1250$ plus labour, inspection and tax. Good good. I feel like I need to sell a kidney.

Btw....kidney for sale.

freggie

Same thing happen to wifey's car and same module went out. IIRC it was around $700 for the part but it was covered under warranty at the time... few years back. Just curious how many miles does your car have? Wifeys car had around 80k

KendeR

Same thing happen to wifey's car and same module went out. IIRC it was around $700 for the part but it was covered under warranty at the time... few years back. Just curious how many miles does your car have? Wifeys car had around 80k
Mine was at 117km