Keyless Entry Question

Wayne

On my 2014 Civic I think I have a major problem that makes the car very easy to steal unless of course there is something I don't understand.

My wife and I both have a keyless entry fob. Mine in my pocket, her's in her purse usually. When we go somewhere together both fobs are in the car. We stop to eat and go in to a restaurant and since we are together she leaves her purse (and fob) in the car. I lock the car and go inside.

Now, since her fob is in the car, anyone who touches the door handle can take the car because it unlocks.

Is there a fob pushbutton sequence that will keep the car from unlocking all by itself?

Todai

Not that I know of Wayne, but the car is also designed to not lock the Key Fob inside the car although I have never bothered to have 2 Key fobs on me durring a test... I have tried to lock my keys in my car a few times & the Arm button does not lock the car because it sense the fob still in the car. I guess the solution i can come up with is to make you wife pay for lunch / dinner all the time & this should never happen >.>

Sorry I do not have anything more useful to say

Bulkybear

Theoretically yes, if the FOB is in the car it should start and should refuse to lock. However, I'm not sure if the system can detect when there is more than 1 FOB and handle that accordingly. Easiest way to find out is after you go inside step back out without your FOB and try to unlock and start the car. I'd like to know what happens as well.

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe FG3:ASM
Also try it with her key in the trunk(where her hand bag should be if left in the car)??????

dath1974

Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
sedan
She leaves her purse behind?! Ack! A friend just had a car stolen in broad daylight from a driveway doing that... They couldn't remember if the doors were locked, but still, seems like a bad idea.

Todai

Also try it with her key in the trunk(where her hand bag should be if left in the car)??????

Although this suggestion would make sense. The problem is that if the key fob is locked in the trunk the car will auto pop the trunk to prevent you from locking your keys in the car... So that won't work. I guess the solution is you leave your keys at home & have the wife bring her purse when you guys want to drive together

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe FG3:ASM
That's a nice safety..... The only thing I can think of is for your wife to get a wrist band thingy' for her key when she put's her hand bag in the trunk. Then the bag will be safer, and no keys near the car.

FryFTW

I'm not sure if this works 100%, but when my wife and I go somewhere to eat and she wants to leave her purse (and FOB) in the car, I just lock the car with my FOB instead of with the button on the door. The car beeps and we hear the doors lock, we just never tested what might happen if we come back without my FOB to open the door. So maybe test that out and see what happens? Hope this was useful.

Dennis Rockholt

9k Alll Day
Franklin, TN
Vehicle Model
370Z Fairlady aka "Nismo"
Body Style
Coupe
I accidentally tried to lock my fob in the trunk and the car got quite upset with me and popped the trunk back open.
Pretty smart lil car!

Lucky you....I have locked mine in the trunk by mindlessly slamming the trunk closed, and realizing it seconds later!

Flightmaster127

Supporting Member
Vip Member
Delaware
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
We discovered the same issue when my girlfriend would leave her purse under the seat with her fob while we went into the store. I never tried opening the door again without my fob near me so I'm not sure if the vehicle would stay locked or not. Anyway lesson learned, if I'm driving she has to leave her fob at home.

GSX-RBOY

My 14 si recognizes which fob was used to start and lock the car. tested this several times, If I leave the wifes FOB in the car and lock it, you can not simply unlock the door without having the fob used to lock the car, to unlock it.

No worries.