New 0w-20 Extended Performance?

Matsweeper

New Jersey
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Sedan
Hey guys so my car (2014 civic sedan EXL) has 6,500 miles and is at 20% oil. I'm waiting for the minder to show 15% so I can do my oil change. I read from the manual that honda puts different oil as the first to help the break in process.

I purchased my 5qt Mobil1 0w-20 Advance Fuel Economy (this was the only 0w-20 they had), and mobil1 Exteneded performance oil filter.

So...

I'm planning on changing my oil whenever the minder tells me. With the way engines are built now and days and advance oils, i really feel like going 7,500 on full synthetic oil is the norm.

I'm looking for my oil to last 12,000 or 1 year whichever comes first HOWEVER if my minder says to change it at 8,000 miles, I will.

My questions is, i was researching mobil1 and found they not only have extended performance for 5w-30 but now for 0w-20. I know they didn't have this a month ago. Reading online from different forums, people say there really is NO difference except AFE says may last up to 15,000 miles and EP says it's guaranteed up to 15,000.

My 5qt is sealed and i'm was planning on exchanging it for the EP. I'm not looking to take my car to 15,000 but i feel that will give me a more peace of mind that i'm not changing my oil until the high 8,000+ miles.

What would you guys do? I don't race my car, or beat it up. I live in jersey and the temp is really cold in the winter and really hot in the summer. I plan on following 0w-20 rule which is stated by the manual.

I feel 0w-20 AFE (advance fuel economy) would give me a slight better increase in mpg. I know its very little however even if it's .5mpg, i'll take it. The EP (extended performance) doesn't improve mpg but guaranteed protection for 15,000.

M1_0W20_zps5b3773b5.png photo1_zpsdf970f31.jpg photo2_zpscdf0d5d8.jpg

stilletto

Chicago, IL
Vehicle Model
Volkswagen Golf GTI
Amsoil. Oil Analysis by BITOG showed nothing but good at an 8k interval. Mobil 1 isn't a true FULL synthetic anyways.

sircoffee

California
Vehicle Model
Civic EX
Body Style
Sedan
I think it just comes down to personal preference.
The maintenance minder will tell you to change oil BEFORE 15,000 miles. If you plan to ignore the MM and the full 15k, go with the EP. But if you plan to follow the MM, just stick with AFE.

Matsweeper

New Jersey
Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Sedan
It doesn't matter if the oil can last 15k, the filter can't. I wouldn't leave it that long.
I do not plan on keeping it in for that long either. I will be using the Mobil1 extended performance oil filter as well. They claim guaranteed to 15,000 miles. I will stick the the advice given as I don't plan on ignoring the MM and don't plan on keeping the oil in for 15,000 miles anyway, I will use AFE