Noisy Reverse Gear

NoMoreNissans

Ottawa, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Sedan
Is it normal for the reverse gear in a manual 2013 LX to be quite noisy? It's pretty whiny, kind of a winding noise, and I just wasnt sure if that was to be expected with these cars. The other gears are dead quiet

Dragos

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
4 Door Sedan
Depends how noisy but in general Hondas have noisy reverse gears. It has to do with the way they're cut.
If just hear them chugging along is fine. Try another one if you can and see if normal but they are noisy. The '12 Si you can hear all the gears but I actually like that :)

Dar-Dar

Mordorator
North NJ
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Fiji Blue Pearl Coupe Coolest Member Since: May 15, 2011
It's normal for reverse gears.

NoMoreNissans

Ottawa, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Sedan
And what's wrong with Nissans BTW?
They burn oil. Actually, they drink oil like gas. My last maxima had 95000km on it and I had to add 5litres of oil to the motor in a short time of 2 months. Nissan knows about the issue and does nothing

NoMoreNissans

Ottawa, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Sedan
^ reverse gears are straight cut, so you will get a whine. It's normal.
That's what I thought, good to hear it's normal. My gf pointed it out and I was like "all reverse gears do that"... then I was curious if it was actually true

Dragos

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
4 Door Sedan
They burn oil. Actually, they drink oil like gas. My last maxima had 95000km on it and I had to add 5litres of oil to the motor in a short time of 2 months. Nissan knows about the issue and does nothing
Wow that's not very good. I knew they have their quirks but that's crazy. Is it a Maxima thing? Eitherway you should have no such issues with a Honda. There were some oil consumption issues but they are a defect that they fix if it occurs.

FooBird

If the Foo...well, you know. Just wear it.
Kirkland, WA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
Depends how noisy but in general Hondas have noisy reverse gears. It has to do with the way they're cut.
If just hear them chugging along is fine. Try another one if you can and see if normal but they are noisy. The '12 Si you can hear all the gears but I actually like that :)

Hmmm. Lemme guess...2001-2004 Maxima with the VQ35DE. That motor drinks. Plus, that seemed to be a bad group of years. The QE25 and VQ35 were plagued with oil consumption problems, primarily associate with the power valve screws. I once had a '03 Pathfinder. It drank oil at 1.5L/1000 miles. It burned catalytic converters. It lost it's power valve screws, which wrecked the piston rings and fouled the cats. Then it lost the butterfly valve itself and now it's in a junkyard.

Dragos

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
4 Door Sedan
Hmmm. Lemme guess...2001-2004 Maxima with the VQ35DE. That motor drinks. Plus, that seemed to be a bad group of years. The QE25 and VQ35 were plagued with oil consumption problems, primarily associate with the power valve screws. I once had a '03 Pathfinder. It drank oil at 1.5L/1000 miles. It burned catalytic converters. It lost it's power valve screws, which wrecked the piston rings and fouled the cats. Then it lost the butterfly valve itself and now it's in a junkyard.

That is insane. I always stayed away from them but I do love their sporty ones.

FooBird

If the Foo...well, you know. Just wear it.
Kirkland, WA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
That is insane. I always stayed away from them but I do love their sporty ones.

I love Nissans because for the displacement, they produce more power and torque, like Honda does with power higher RPM limits. But you have to do the research to see if the motors are problems, which for the most part is from '01-'04 and the VGxx motor. That was total crap. But the VQ35 was on the Ward's list of top motors forever and it's sweet as hell except for '01-'04 and only with the automatic transmission. I like the Frontier with the VQ40 and would take that power-wise over the Toyota 1GR-FE stock for stock. Toyota has higher resale value though...

Anyway...off topic...yeah, the reverse gear is a spur gear and those will make noise no matter what size at higher speeds, from RC car to your daily driver.

NoMoreNissans

Ottawa, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Sedan

The oil burner was an 02 Maxima VQ35DE yes, the issue also effects all altimas, quests and g35's that share the same motor. I also had a 2000 Maxima VQ30DE-K that didn't burn oil, but in the short year I owned the car I had to replace the radiator, the alternator, the mass airflow sensor, the starter, tie rod ends, and the entire exhaust since it had rusted out, and right before i totaled the car the catalytic converter was clogged and the suspension was about to rip apart. I got the car with 150,000kms on it but man... things would just fall apart on that car every day. Not impressed. So I deemed the 00' to be a random lemon and tried another Nissan with the 02' and was greeted with the fatal oil burning engine flaw.

All that being said, the 02' Maxima was a beautiful looking car and had a crazy amount of power beyond 3k rpms, i would rip onto the highway so fast that it honestly scared me a bit sometimes