Tips for buying used wheels??

keith88hk

Toronto, Canada
Vehicle Model
EX
Body Style
Sedan
hello everybody, I'm going to pick up a set of 8th Oem Si 17" on Dunlop Graspic DS 2 winter tires. Any tips/advice on what to look for before buying them. i know they need to be round.. =D

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
Well... check for bends, cracks, curb rash, and obvious signs of physical damage. See if they ran the proper lug nuts with them or if they had them mounted on spacers. They should not have run any type of aftermarket lug just the stock ones. If they put them on spacers its possible they didn't have extended studs and had to really really crank the lug nuts on. Could be a spot for damage to the wheel. I doubt it though. Those are the only things I can think of.

The tires I can say are a great snow tire. I have run them for several years. See if they know how many miles are on the tires as snow tires do not have a treadwear rating and if run on dry roads or in the summer they wear very very quickly. Check the tread depth with a gauge if you can.

keith88hk

Toronto, Canada
Vehicle Model
EX
Body Style
Sedan
Quick and nice response. Thanks a ton Nix. Appreciate your help. taking notes to remind me what needs to be checked.

Dar-Dar

Mordorator
North NJ
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Fiji Blue Pearl Coupe Coolest Member Since: May 15, 2011
Also, check for camber wear or an abnormal wear on the threads. And check for lumps on the tires. Lol.

Pauly99to17

Ville de Quebec
Vehicle Model
2012 LX
Body Style
Dyno Blue Pearl Sedan (FB2)
Check for punctures in the tire that have been repaired. You don't want to see those (possible leaks) and certainly not near the tire sidewall (possible structural compromise of tire could cause a blow out).

keith88hk

Toronto, Canada
Vehicle Model
EX
Body Style
Sedan
thanks for all the tips guys. The wheels are in good condition just a few chips and tyres are good for 2 more winter.
now im so excited can't wait to install them :bananasplit:

Attachments

• IMG_3236.JPG
    IMG_3236.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 19