Velox

Naples, FL
Vehicle Model
2013 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe
Trunk/Boot Grocery Bag Holder - DIY

Problem:
The flat trunk of my Civic will not hold my grocery bags to prevent them from shifting while driving home from the grocery store. It just so happens that there is a super fun turn on the way back from the grocery store, so simply driving smoother is not an option :D

Note: If you’re the type of person that does “bulk” shopping and completely fills the trunk every trip to the store, this device probably won’t help you at all. I live alone and like eating fresh fruit and vegetable, so I go to the store a few times a week and only have a few bags per trip. This leads to a lot of dead space in the trunk that allows these bags to shift and sometimes causes damage to items. I’ve come home to broken eggs from bags shifting a few times because of aggressive cornering on the way home from the store.

Solution:
Build a rack system to hold the grocery bags and prevent them from shifting during quick turns or big bumps.

Build Perimeters:
1) Must be able to remove the device quickly in the event of needing it out of the way for a super large item to go in the trunk
2) Must not damage or require drilling into the trunk or carpeting.
3) Must stay out of the way and not impede storage capacity as much as possible in case I need the trunk to store something other than grocery bags.
4) Cost less than $20 since there are trunk organizers on the market starting at this price range.

Items Needed (this item list is to build one):
1) 10” of ½” PVC pipe
2) 2x fender washers with an OD of >1”
3) 2x thumb screws threaded at 10-32
4) 2x 10-32 nuts for the thumbscrews
5) 3x Screw hooks
6) Black spray paint (optional)
7) Plasti-Dip or electrical tape (optional)

Tools Needed:
1) Drill
2) 3/16” and 5/32” Drill bits
3) Pipe cutters or hack saw (to cut PVC)

Build Instructions:
1) Cut a piece of ½” PVC to a length of 10”. Mark the pipe for drilling at the following increments (from one side) – 2”, 3”, 5”, 7”, and 8”. The 2”,5”, and 8” marks are to be pre-drilled for the screw hooks (3/16” drill bit). The 3” and 7” marks are to be drilled for the 10-32 thumbscrews (5/32” drill bit). The thumbscrews should be able to slide through fairly easily, but the screw hooks need to be twisted in to ensure they fit properly.

2) Clean the PVC with alcohol or another cleaner to get rid of the permanent marker. You can also debur the holes with an exacto blade if you’d like.

3) Spray paint the PVC black so it doesn’t attract attention in your trunk. I suggest doing this before inserting the hardware because the metal will likely flake over time if painted with a rattle can.

To give the fender washers additional grip, you can add a layer of Plasti-dip to them. This is expensive if you don’t already have a can of it, but it only takes about 5 sprays if you already have a can lying around. You can also just wrap electrical tape around the washer’s face for additional grip. The purpose of this additional grip is to allow the washer to grip the metal of the trunk and to allow the nut to grip the washer. This makes the installation faster because you can just pull down on the thumb screw. Because of the size and shape of the trunk holes used with this device, gripping the nuts with pliers while inserting the thumb screws would be difficult.

4) Insert the screw hooks.

5) Loosely insert the thumb screw, then a washer on top of that, and then the nut.

We’re installing the hooks into these two trunk holes:

6)To install, push the washers up through these holes and set them flat against the metal. Because their diameter is larger than the hole, they will not slide back out if laying flat. After they’re flat, tighten the thumb screws until the PVC pipe is touching the trunk’s metal and there is no wiggle in the system. Done.

Holding bags - the only function of the device.

As you can see in this photo, the bags are held at an elevation so the weight is not actually pulling down on the hook. I would not want the bags to actually be fully suspended; this would likely lead to broken bags and a larger problem than without the device at all. This support, however, has proven to keep the bags in place and in their original orientation so I don’t come home to broken eggs from the store :D

Conclusion:
I know this is kind of a weird post for a forum mostly based on cool looking or nicely performing modifications, but I’m sure at least one person that visits this forum will find this helpful – and that viewer alone justifies the time used to make this guide.

I did make some overly aggressive turns on the way home from the grocery store today and everything was held perfectly in place. The sound of "shhh DUNK" of something sliding and smacking into the wall of the trunk was pleasantly absent from the drive home. I'd say it does its job quite well. Granted, it's a job very few people need done or actually care about - but I'm happy.

- Velox

Last edited by a moderator:

KennyGS

How may I help?
Keystone State
Great idea!

What might be a nice addition is to mount the holder on lightly spring-loaded hinges that rotate it up out of the way. It would be out of site until you reach up and grab/pul it down to hang a bag of something on a hook. It rotates back out of the way when you remove all of the bags.

This way, it's always there, but not in the way.

Last edited:

AlienPrime

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic Si HFP
Body Style
2 door Coupe
cool idea! Great work with the DIY :)
I would so do this if my car was used for groceries and i didn't have lights and whatnot on the top hahaha

Last edited:

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
Great idea! Love it! Super smart too. Simple and effective. I'm sure now that you've let your secret out we're gonna see one of these on an infomercial shortly.

bobshur

Atlanta
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic si
Body Style
Coupe
Great idea and great DIY,we use the 04 for the shopping but I really like this.

Velox

Naples, FL
Vehicle Model
2013 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe
Great idea!

What might be a nice addition is to mount the holder on lightly spring-loaded hinges that rotate it up out of the way. It would be out of site until you reach up and grab/pul it down to hang a bag of something on a hook. It rotates back out of the way when you remove all of the bags.

This way, it's always there, but not in the way.
I considered this exact function, actually. However, it would take a bit more work to make sure it's stable with the hinge design and it would also cost a bit more due to the springs and the spring mounting hardware. If you think of a cheap way to do it this way, I'd definitely build another one!

Great idea! Love it! Super smart too. Simple and effective. I'm sure now that you've let your secret out we're gonna see one of these on an infomercial shortly.
"Only $19.99! But wait, call in the next 15 minutes and get a car shammy for free!"

AlienPrime

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic Si HFP
Body Style
2 door Coupe

andre12dbsi

Gatineau, QC Canada
Vehicle Model
'15 Acura TLX SH-AWD Tech
Body Style
Sedan
not as strong tho... what if i'm hunting and i wanna hang my rabbits?

I have the Honda one. You're right AP. If you have more than one rabbit to hang you're SOL.

You could hang a few bags from one though. It states that the bottom of the bag should rest on the floor. The solution here is much stronger.

Taffeta 12

Antelope Valley
Vehicle Model
Honda civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Haha nice. My moms corolla came with a net like thing installed in the trunk already.. Don't know why all car companies don't do something like this :)