Winter drifting and camping

Redrocket1

Kalamazoo, MI
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Today I wanted to go check out a campground nearby, feeling out the idea of winter camping. We've had so much snow here in Michigan, that all the sites have 2 feet of untouched snow, but the long and perfectly winding roads throughout Fort Custer Recreational Area were perfectly plowed and really fun to drive on. And with no cars or people in sight, I turned my traction control off for the first time this winter and was experimenting with slipping around a bit. I may end up camping there when it warms up a little, but I'll definitely be back for the roads before then.

Anyone into winter/summer camping in Michigan or anywhere, and/or have spots for nicely plowed secret winter roads?

Attachments

• FC_1.jpg
    FC_1.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 19

Redrocket1

Kalamazoo, MI
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Yea I only saw one occupied site, but it was an RV. Nobody hardcore enough to sleep out there

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe FG3:ASM
I've camped at -9F with a 20 degree bag. I just layered another blanket inside of the bag and wore a winter hat on my head. It wasn't that bad.

Until you have to pee in the middle of the night.... :D

Redrocket1

Kalamazoo, MI
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
8 degrees with about 5 inches of snow overnight.. but at least it wasn't windy. I had to get up at 2am to brush snow off the tent because it was sagging really bad and the snow was covering all my ventilation and it was getting damp inside. About 4am my body finally started to get pretty cold. Other than that, it was pretty comfortable. Worst part was probably taking down the tent with wet cold hands. I bought a yearly pass so I will be back, although probably not for winter camping until maybe next year.