Official Computer Talk Thread

All this motherboard talk has me trying to remember what motherboard I have.. :think:

It's old. I still am rockin' a i7 4790k :woot:

What's the issue on that board, I just built my new computer using that one. Should I be worried about it?

Nope. Nothing to worry about. That board fails no more than any other. It's just hit or miss with the experience you'll have if you end up needing to RMA. You'll find horror stories just as you'll find smooth transactions.

All this motherboard talk has me trying to remember what motherboard I have.. :think:

It's old. I still am rockin' a i7 4790k :woot:

That was a solid proc. No reason to upgrade if it still works for you. You probably won't have issues until you upgrade your monitor to something above 1080p (if you haven't already). Wholly depends on what you do with the machine of course, but the advice fits for most folks.

That was a solid proc. No reason to upgrade if it still works for you. You probably won't have issues until you upgrade your monitor to something above 1080p (if you haven't already). Wholly depends on what you do with the machine of course, but the advice fits for most folks.

i7 4790k, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080 - It allows me to have 2x27" monitors (1x27" @ 1440p 144hz & 1x27" 1440p @ 60hz) :thumbsup:

Gaming, Car Forums, YouTube/Streaming Video, pr0n (not storage) and emails. :giggle:

Pfft. You're good. That's was a pretty solid build when you put it together and still will perform well for I'd say another 2 or 3 years at least. Your FPS requirements will be the determining factor in your next upgrade.

Pfft. You're good. That's was a pretty solid build when you put it together and still will perform well for I'd say another 2 or 3 years at least. Your FPS requirements will be the determining factor in your next upgrade.

I've had a few GPU's with that CPU/Mobo/RAM combo. I've probably had that setup for 5+ years but initially I had GTX770 then GTX970 then GTX1080 (buddy got a GTX2080 and sold me the GTX1080 for a deal).

I was just playing COD MW and awesome FPS.

Nice. That's the way to do it!

Personally (not bashing anyone here) for my needs I don't see a benefit of upgrading yearly or whenever new stuff comes out. Yes I'm running DDR3 RAM but it's been doing fine for years why change it.
I can definitely notice the most performance increase with the GPU for my needs especially at the resolution I'm gaming at. When I had a 24" 1080p dual monitor setup the GTX970 was great for all the games I played.

To think about it I haven't had that many GPU's.... I don't have the best memory (no I've never smoked weed) but I had an ATi HD6950 (brand new) -> GTX770 (brand new) -> GTX970 (brand new) -> GTX1080 (used)

Glad I updated speeds when I did and I upgraded the house to a mesh network. Now that both me and my lady are stuck at home with this virus and wide scale closure of Seattle, we’re working from home and streaming like never before.

My brother got me Tap-Link Deco M4 units.

I would have gone with the M9 I think because they have powerline capability which would help things like my TV which could have a unit close to it and be connected via wire to ensure high bandwidth for 4K streaming.

Glad I updated speeds when I did and I upgraded the house to a mesh network. Now that both me and my lady are stuck at home with this virus and wide scale closure of Seattle, we’re working from home and streaming like never before.

Nice you both have the option to work from home. My wife's job has very limited computer use. She only uses the 1 shared computer (between 4 people) for email. She tries to check her email at least twice a day while at work.

We recently got a Roku Streaming Stick + for the bedroom and returned the Xfinity DTA box to save $6.99/month (plus taxes). Our data usage has went WAY up since adding that device.

I have the Google Mesh WiFi (1 box as of now) but plan to add a 2nd box in the living room (furthest away from router/modem)

Nice you both have the option to work from home. My wife's job has very limited computer use. She only uses the 1 shared computer (between 4 people) for email. She tries to check her email at least twice a day while at work.

We recently got a Roku Streaming Stick + for the bedroom and returned the Xfinity DTA box to save $6.99/month (plus taxes). Our data usage has went WAY up since adding that device.

I have the Google Mesh WiFi (1 box as of now) but plan to add a 2nd box in the living room (furthest away from router/modem)
I'm more than likely going to be getting rid of my second one once we move if you're interested.

Back