Discussion in 'Build Threads' started by Verzerrung, May 13, 2018.
Koni hand made strut inserts are dampers.
I just bought $500 worth of special summer tires the FireHawks that perform almost as well as Michlins sports 4-those are way over priced at $190 each!
Got around to cleaning up the passenger side wheelhouse piece. It is not perfect, bu hopefully it should workout fine.
Not really update, but I wanted to get some opinions what you guys think is a good route to take on this. I got a better photo of the damage. Do you guys think the rail can be pulled straight? I have the red core support and on the passenger side of the core support I still have a bit of the unirail left (I cut it there and the spot welds are still in tact). I was thinking I could maybe cut behind the unirail where the damage was and then have someone weld the new support unirail on. Hopefully you guys get what I mean, not the best at describing this. I know the structural integrity might not be the best, but would it work?
I can’t see that being straightened personally. Maybe someone else can chime in
It's definitely gonna need replaced after looking at it some more. there's no way a body shop can pull that out. But that's my two cents.
that's some beat up mess
I think what I might just do is cut the unirail right before the damaged area and since the red core support has the passenger side unirail attached I'll measure it up and make sure it aligns and see if I can't find someone to weld it all the around. I know it probably isn't worth doing any of this, but I already have the parts so whats the worst that can happen. Thanks for the input guys!
I think that plan will work, I'm just not sure how "legal" it is to weld on the unibody like that. I guess what no one knows won't hurt them, just food for thought. But go for it, clean up the weld good and smooth things out and no one should be able to tell. Good luck brotha, like you said you got the parts already.
I think be getting around to the frame in the next month or somewhere around there. I got the LED bulbs and installed them into the map light I installed earlier. Removed the seats, going to remove the rails and clean them up. I also did a wire tuck on the passenger side since there was a lot of cut wires in the harness. I used flux, soldered and heat shrinked the wires. I will post a photo later since I'm still waiting for wiring loom so I can clean it up.
Update: I will be getting my 9th back on Wednesday hopefully.
making some serious progress man. Good stuff
Nice work, keep up the progress!
My dad helped me out and we got quite a bit done today. We tried to pull the rail and it just wasn't working so in the next few days (or week(s)) we will be working on cutting the rail and trying to match them up as best we can. Nothing was welded, just test fitted. You can see the rail before and after when we tried to pull it.
If nothing else it seems like it will be easier to make your cut for replacement.
That's the best option I see in this situation as well. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the most accurate and even measurements on all four sides of the rail.
I decided to leave the rail alone, it is outside of my knowledge. There is only one bolt on the left side rail and it is angled, but it should hopefully hold the support in place. If I cut the rail I would have new issues that I may not be able to come back from. The passenger wheelhouse is on and it looks good. Here is a photo of the car as it sits right now. This is purely mocked up, nothing is welded. I'm not sure why there is so much space between the corner lights, but I doubt that is an issue with the fitment.
really enjoying this build keep it up
Thanks man, appreciate the support!
Nothing has been welded in, but the passenger side wheelhouse I put a self tapping screw in to hold it where I need it for now until I can get it welded. That being said, everything is bolted up and there is no give in the support. PIC HEAVY. Just wanted to show some before and afters of how it was. I know it isn't the best, but I believe it is at least a little better than it was. The gaps between the fenders, hoods, bumper and headlights are driving me nuts trying to get it as good as possible, but I'll continue to get that as close as I can later on. The passenger side bumper is sagging. (broken clip)
Before Photos: When I got the car
Looking good man. Nice progress. Yea that rail end is done.
I've done a number of retrofits on other hondas and there is usually a bit of play in 3 or 4 different places on headlight mounts. On ones I've done there is usually a headlight frame mount on the far side by the fender, one below the light, and one or two on the top of the light. The holes on the light frame are usually bigger than just a standard bolt hole. If you loosen each one of those up slightly, you can get a little wiggle room in each direction usually. From there it is just a matter of doing a little tightening at each spot while holding the light in whatever direction needs a gap tightened up. It can take a little trial and error, but you can usually improve the gaps that may be bugging you (at least a little). You mentioned the fender clip being broken, so that will also help when you get that swapped.
Separate names with a comma.