2012 K24z7 Build

2012Si_kcrow

Houston, TX
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
Looking for advice or comments before I start my build. I will be providing pics and DIY articles the whole way so stay tuned. Alright so my Si is less than 4000miles old and Im ready to build this car up. Like the two Civic's I've owned before (7th and 8th gen) I want a fully built, but streetable NA build that is goaled to put 260Whp and 220ft lbs on the pavement. This car will be a daily driver but must be able to compete a couple times a year in the Ozark's downhill races and a few Friday Fun Night Drags at MoKan Speedway in Joplin, MO and some at the Houston Motorsports Park. I will most likely trailer the car when traveling back and forth to Arkansas and Missouri as it is a 600mile drive, I would like to keep the miles down on this motor and the fiance's twin turbo diesel F-350 pulls Civic's behind it effortlessly.

I currently live in Houston but grew up in Northwest Arkansas and racing through the mountains is what I grew up with, the flat, straight roads of Houston are simple and do not worry me. So, for a car to compete it must have an excellent suspension. As most of us already know most of our suspension parts from our 8th gens will fit up nicely on the 9th gen. I have already put my Skunk2 Rear Lower Camber/Control Arms (Gold) on the car. I am going to do a complete suspension rebuild on the car either late 2012 or early 2013. The car rides so smooth and quiet right now I just can't justify the rougher ride that comes with increased handling, well I can but the fiancé doesn't see why it's necessary...need to ease her into it...lol. Anywho, the following parts are en route to me as I type.

1. Honda RBC Intake Manifold
2. Hondata IM Gasket
3. K&N Typhoon Intake for '06-2011 Civic Si

I noticed our MAF sensors are identical to those on the previous gen Si's, seeing as how the engines are turned the same direction and throttle body size is not any different, if so it's negligible, the previous gen intake systems should bolt on easily and with no modifications. (please correct me if I am wrong here as I have not tried this yet and do not want to be giving inacurrate information).

Next week I am ordering Kelford Stage 1 Cams, possibly Skunk2 Adj Cam Gears (is this a neccessity with stage 1 camshafts on this engine? We've always used them on B18s with Stage 2 and 3 camshafts but these weren't built for the street.) and Supertech Lightweight Valves, Dual Springs and Titanium Retainers. Will also be sending the ECU to Evans Tuning to get the Hondata Reflash. I have not contacted Jeff @evan's Tuning yet to see if another tuning is necessary for this setup...does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Looks like a no go for the cams and other cylinder head goodies. I received an email back from Marquis at KMOD Performance today stating somethings slightly different than I had been told before, but seeing as how he is the main guy I trust his advice and expertise. Here is what he said about building the Top End of the K24z7:

"Sorry, but the 2012 Si Cylinder head & its parts are not interchangeable w/ the 02-11 K-series. Its an all new design. The cams, Rockers, Head bolt holes, are all different. The ex manifold is grafted into the head. Its really not an engine that can be modified for much over stock. Honda K-series modification stops w/ this one. There may be parts that come out for but don't expect large gains like the type we've seen w/ the 02-11 k-Series. It looks like forced induction may be the only option. -Marquis"

So for now looks like simple bolt ons and ECU reflash will have to be relied upon to gain any additional power out of this engine. KMOD specializes in building K24 engines so this was definitely not something I wanted to hear but if I had to hear it, Im glad it came from a group of people who know these engines inside out. I have found out that Blueprintracing.com offers RBC Intake Mani Port & Polish for $500 or for $700 they will take a brand new RBC Intake Mani, Port & Polish then send it to you. The $200 obviously is the cost of the RBC IM. The RBC IM I ordered is on the way, still waiting for a tracking number though.

I have canceled the order placed for the 8th Gen K&N Typhoon Intake after some new light was shed on the topic of using an intake designed for the K20 engine on the K24. I am currently looking at AEM Short Ram Intakes designed for the TSX or Accord with K24s. Both vehicles take a different model number intake and from what I can tell is its the mounting points that make it slightly different, I don't mind having to fab some sort of new mounting bracket for the intake, gives me reason to get the welder out! I have confirmed that the Acura TSX uses an MAF identical to ours so the fittings on the intake should be correct (I am still looking for Acura TSX pics prior to 2008, but 2008+ seem to use the same shaped MAF). I will of course be checking with AEM in the next couple days when time permits with work and what not to see if I could use this intake system. I have seen several people using different types of intakes when doing K swaps, they usually find one that will fit the engine bay of whatever car they are swapping into and use it. More info to come.

I did hear back from Jeff Evan at Evan's Tuning concerning the Hondata Reflash for our cars, I asked him some questions concerning knock that I was getting in my 8th gen with Flashpro as well, here is what he had to say about it:

Kelly,
We offer the reflash option here: http://store.evans-tuning.com/tuning/ems/honda/hondata-reflash.html
The reflash is a pre set tune, so nothing can be changed. Further modifications other than what they have outlined in the reflash page could potentially lose power. Knock actually is able to be monitored even on the factory flash/stock through a dealer monitoring tool. Even the stock ecm seems knock while driving around, the ecu makes adjustments based on that information. I have sold alot of reflashes over the past few years and never had a single issue.
Jeff Evans
Evans Tuning
www.evans-tuning.com

Okay, I have been gone for almost 10 months, for reasons that would take too much time to explain and is irrelevant to this thread. My build took a pause for most of that time, however, there have been several things done to the car. The Honda RBC Intake Manifold that was ordered was sent back after much consideration and I opted to wait for K&N to develop an intake instead of modifying an 8th Gen SRI or Cold Air Intake for use on the K24z. I have been looking at these P2R Intake Manifolds that CorSportUSA carries and will most likely be ordering one this week. The P2R IMs are Honda Manifolds that have been ported and polished. This should make a fine addition to the K&N Typhoon SRI that I installed a month or two back. I will be posting sometime early next week all the pictures and walkthru's of what has been done to the car so far (Even though I haven't had access to my Mac, I have had a digi camera on me the past 9 months)!

Also, I have created a new blog specifically 2001+ Civics (I have owned 5 and built 8 of them). It is really new, like I made it today, so the info will get there as time goes on. I will have a section that is specifically dedicated to the 2012 and 2013 Si's and I will link it up through my signature line so everyone can access it through different threads. In the meantime you can access 21st Century Honda Civic's blog at 21stCenturyCivic.blogspot.com. Please keep in mind that I run four different companies, manage several blogs and websites, and have a full-time girlfriend (she keeps me the most busy...lol) so, please bare with if I don't post back the next day. I won't just disappear for a year like I did this past year, I'm back and super excited to catch up on everything I've missed out on here at 9thCivic. I see we have lots of new members and threads, which is fantastic. I can't wait to show everyone what all I've done, see some of ya'lls cars, show you guys and gals some cool projects, and learn a few new things while I'm at it. Here's to 2013! Stay Tuned.

I will update with more info and pics as the parts get here and I start the installs. Please ask questions, leave comments and lend advice as this is the first K series engine I have ever worked on. I look forward to an informative thread growing out of this build!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am quite interested to see if the K&N Typhoon Intake works with the 9th gen. Although I would hesitate to use it as the 8th and 9th engines are so different.

^ injen wrote about someone trying to use an 8th intake on a 9th-

injen said:
there is no way it will fit or perform with the correct fuel trims and a/f readings. You can definitely damage the engine.

^ injen wrote about someone trying to use an 8th intake on a 9th-
Thanks webby for the info. I am still waiting to hear back from Hondata about specs of their Reflash, but from their website it says that the Reflash along with boltons will produce up to 20hp. I'm guessing an intake is needed.

I have a hard time believing that installing an intake on an engine could damage it, especially if running a Reflash. But I will hold off before running the car with it installed. Lol, webby you have placed a very small amount of doubt in my mind now but after reading that statement from injen it is enough to keep me from wantin to start the engine with it installed until I have more info.

The reason I find it hard to believe is I remember back in the late 90's when modding cars sometimes meant building your own intake and fab'ng a MAF sensor port into it. We never damaged engines but probably didn't get the optimal amount of power out of it either that a quality built CAD designed intake system would have produced.

NthTier- the engines may be different but having both parked side by side in the garage last weekend I noticed that the engine bays had almost identical amounts of room on the right side and the stock intake systems on both the K20a and K24z were almost identical, as a matter of fact I believe and could be wrong but I do believe that the stock intake system takes the same air filter. Can anyone verify this or correct me with part numbers if I'm incorrect please?

As for injen, I'm sure they mean you could always go lean, which would obviously be bad.

Good info webby...I am going to give Corsport and probably K&N a call in the morning and see what they recommend, maybe a TSX intake?? This was my first thought but I was thinking for ease of mounting points go with the 8th gen Si intake system. I will most likely need to custom fab some different type of mounting setup for a TSX intake, Cold Air or Short Ram but, that's the fun part of working on such a new car! I will post my findings in the main post at the top.

Nvm, guess i can't add on to the original post. I will just keep adding info in post like these, if its worthy of being sticky'd after the build is complete and I've got pics and details from all the different shops that help do the work, I'll see if I can't put it all in one post in a new thread.

any staff member can help cleanup a thread and add content into post 1. Just give a shout...

Consider me an interested party on your build. Will be following closely. The aftermarket bug has bitten me.

Mods, can you post everything typed below into my first post starting where I left off? Thanks.

Looks like a no go for the cams and other cylinder head goodies. I received an email back from Marquis at KMOD Performance today stating somethings slightly different than I had been told before, but seeing as how he is the main guy I trust his advice and expertise. Here is what he said about building the Top End of the K24z7:

"Sorry, but the 2012 Si Cylinder head & its parts are not interchangeable w/ the 02-11 K-series. Its an all new design. The cams, Rockers, Head bolt holes, are all different. The ex manifold is grafted into the head. Its really not an engine that can be modified for much over stock. Honda K-series modification stops w/ this one. There may be parts that come out for but don't expect large gains like the type we've seen w/ the 02-11 k-Series. It looks like forced induction may be the only option. -Marquis"

So for now looks like simple bolt ons and ECU reflash will have to be relied upon to gain any additional power out of this engine. KMOD specializes in building K24 engines so this was definitely not something I wanted to hear but if I had to hear it, Im glad it came from a group of people who know these engines inside out. I have found out that Blueprintracing.com offers RBC Intake Mani Port & Polish for $500 or for $700 they will take a brand new RBC Intake Mani, Port & Polish then send it to you. The $200 obviously is the cost of the RBC IM. The RBC IM I ordered is on the way, still waiting for a tracking number though.

I have canceled the order placed for the 8th Gen K&N Typhoon Intake after some new light was shed on the topic of using an intake designed for the K20 engine on the K24. I am currently looking at AEM Short Ram Intakes designed for the TSX or Accord with K24s. Both vehicles take a different model number intake and from what I can tell is its the mounting points that make it slightly different, I don't mind having to fab some sort of new mounting bracket for the intake, gives me reason to get the welder out! I have confirmed that the Acura TSX uses an MAF identical to ours so the fittings on the intake should be correct (I am still looking for Acura TSX pics prior to 2008, but 2008+ seem to use the same shaped MAF). I will of course be checking with AEM in the next couple days when time permits with work and what not to see if I could use this intake system. I have seen several people using different types of intakes when doing K swaps, they usually find one that will fit the engine bay of whatever car they are swapping into and use it. More info to come.

I did hear back from Jeff Evan at Evan's Tuning concerning the Hondata Reflash for our cars, I asked him some questions concerning knock that I was getting in my 8th gen with Flashpro as well, here is what he had to say about it:

Kelly,
We offer the reflash option here: http://store.evans-tuning.com/tuning/ems/honda/hondata-reflash.html
The reflash is a pre set tune, so nothing can be changed. Further modifications other than what they have outlined in the reflash page could potentially lose power. Knock actually is able to be monitored even on the factory flash/stock through a dealer monitoring tool. Even the stock ecm seems knock while driving around, the ecu makes adjustments based on that information. I have sold alot of reflashes over the past few years and never had a single issue.
Jeff Evans
Evans Tuning
www.evans-tuning.com

Question, if there is so many issues with the 2012 si cylinder head and/or top end, why dont we simply swap out our top end for a TSX top end (k24z3)?
In this thread CLICK ME it states the only difference form z3 to z7 is the "oil block setup" from the z3 didnt clear the 2012 si chasis.

So if we were to swap out the top end, the problem of the "oil block setup" is still not an issue AND we would have the swapped z3 top end, which would allow us to still ultilize the k-parts available for the TSX. Also, if the top end is swapped this would obviously eliminate the integrated header design, (not stating this is an improvement, but if you swap your head for k-series parts you will obviously loose your cast header).

Opinions anyone?

the exhaust manifold is in the head - same on both the tsx and si. If you're trying to get rid of the integrated exhaust manifold setup, the tsx isn't going to help in that area. You can use interchangeable parts for the tsx, but you're still talking about single lobe exhaust cams, etc

Oh, i didnt know the tsx had an integrated exhaust manifold. Well, my main concern isnt to get rid of the manifold, its the lack of k series parts available for our z7. I was reading a bit and it seems like the other k24 top ends have a variety of parts and company's who are constantly trying to manufacture new internals. So couldn't it just be possible to replace the problem and find a solution? Which at this very moment seems to be our top end on the z7.

I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to replace/upgrade? Are you trying to build an all-motor high hp setup? I think a number of users want to go turbo, and are purely waiting on hondata to release a solution. A number of turbo/sc companies are on the home stretch of releasing a product.

As stated in the other thread - these items are the same as the tsx

Crank
Pistons
Rods
Head
Cams
Valve springs / retainers
Intake manifold

^ if there is something in there that you find aftermarket that you want to replace, you can. A tuning solution from hondata will hopefully be available in the near future.

What do you think about extrude honing the exhaust ports/manifold? You won't be able to change the lengths of the primaries but you would be able to make them larger diameter. It might help if you are trying to raise the redline.

Why not throw a 06+ tsx engine in, use the stock parts you have now, tune it (when you can) get 220/180 call it a day

Those engines are 1600-1800 shipped and they head flows super well

technically you can't swap an older engine in a newer model car (per the epa,...or the state of california).

Back