2012 Starter Issue

2012blackLX

I have about 16000 miles on my Civic, likely more than most people with a 2012 but still low. This morning when I turned the key, the starter made a sound like it failed to engage with the engine on my first starting attempt of the day and has not happened since. Has anybody else experienced this?

I have lost count on how many hundreds of times my 06 Si has done that. Other than being annoying, I haven't noticed any other issues with it.

I recall some people on 8thcivic having similar random issues on the first key turn (on the SI model), and then it'd start. I don't recall anyone ever getting theirs to repeatedly do it, where a tech could look at it though. Or they'd take it in, and nothing was found....

As long as it's something that won't eventually leave me stranded somewhere I am not too worried about it. Hasn't done it in a couple days.

I have about 16000 miles on my Civic, likely more than most people with a 2012 but still low. This morning when I turned the key, the starter made a sound like it failed to engage with the engine on my first starting attempt of the day and has not happened since. Has anybody else experienced this?

I have 2,700 miles on my 2012 Honda Civic EX and have had this starting issue/problem four times now. - It won't turn over or make any noise, but all the dashboard lights will come on. Then when I take the key out and try again, it starts just fine. - The dealership where I leased the car is doing little to nothing to help me resolve the issue, so if anyone has a resolution that I can bring to their attention, I would greatly appreciate it.

Since she is still under warranty I would take it in ASAP so that you won't be stranded one day on the road.. :/

Since she is still under warranty I would take it in ASAP so that you won't be stranded one day on the road.. :/

I have taken the car in, multiple times unfortunately, and they cannot find anything wrong with it. Even worse, the Service Manager at the dealership is not taking too much responsibility or onus for the issue, so I’m not sure where to turn next.

At least they've had the chance to find the issue since you brought it in to them. If it happens again, and won't start at all, I would put them on the hook for all of the costs, including towing.

I have the SAME problem, the car won't start. The Dealer ask me to check if the "Green Key" is On / Off. (It can be a Security key issue). But this is not the case...
There is no Starter sound, Nothing.... The car is a Civic 2012 EX. AND the Dealer Tell me, he NEVER see this problem...

I have the SAME problem, the car won't start. The Dealer ask me to check if the "Green Key" is On / Off. (It can be a Security key issue). But this is not the case...
There is no Starter sound, Nothing.... The car is a Civic 2012 EX. AND the Dealer Tell me, he NEVER see this problem...
is it random for you, or you have it happen often?

My 07 si has done it a couple times but never more than once. Unless it does it constantly and in a row i wouldn't worry too much about it. If i remember ill call my guy from honda tomorrow and see whats up. Also you can call american honda if your dealership won't help and they usually will assist.

is it random for you, or you have it happen often?
Yep!, On my side, the problem is really random... sometime the car is cold, sometime is hot... there is no particular situation...

Honda, take my car for 3 day and they didn't find any problem. i have no solution.

Hey, I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this forum, but I seem to be having problems with my 2012 as well.
It only has 625m on it and it's been causing me starting problems.
This is what I mean:
I use my command start and nothing happens - that's understandable because when I get in it and start it by key it works fine, but then when I try and use my car the next day it won't turn over. Then I get all these sevice lights on my dash.
Then we figured it was maybe a dead battery, but we left the C-tek on it all night and the light only remained amber colored. So we figured that the C-tek wasn't reading it right, so I went about my merry way and what do you know the same thing happened the next week. So I took it into Honda and they said there was nothing that they could find that was wrong with it and it just needs to be driven more. Well I have been driving it more and last night I ended up getting stranded in -32 weather. Same problem, the command start is trying to get the engine going but can't, and last night was differnt because I couldn't even get it to start with the key.

Could it be that the wiring isn't right or its my alternator, or even that my battery doesn't have enough power for the command start?

Well, now we have multiple people with starting issues, and at least one other member who had a bad battery replaced already. Can you get your car to a place like autozone? They can run a test on your battery for free to see if it needs replaced, or if it's ok. That would at least take one item out of the equation to pinpoint the problem.

if you read from this post down, you'll see his battery issues
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/hi-everyone.2659/page-3#post-48062

He had to get a new one shipped to him from Honda

My 2012 Civic started having the start problem at 1,500 miles and failed to start on the first try 13 times by my 5,000 mile oil change. Luckily it happened to the service rep when moving from parking space to service dept., but it always starts on the 2nd try. Then last week the battery died so they came by a gave me a jump then to dealer and got a new Honda 100 battery. Wrote it off under warranty. Thought that was the problem all along. The next morning it didnt crank on the first try. It might go a month till it happens again and after a couple hundred correct starts. I aint losing no sleep. Back to the drawing board. Oh well have a 7 year/70,000 mile extended warranty and lifetime this and that from dealer.. Otherwise this former Buick owner for many years has another Honda in the family . Great MPG. Enjoying cruising with the roof open and the heated leather seats on, Sweeeeet-ish!!!! Maybe some AC/DC blasting out those six speakers. Now thinking that the dealers know a little more about this than they are letting on about. Like the service rep says the car would have to be hooked up in the service depart when you try to crank and it fails. Seems all this computer stuff in the car would be able to relay a problem, when at the dealer. Have 7,300 on it now. Got the first one sold in my area on coming out day April 20th 2011. Oh I still have my 1973 Datsun 1200 Coupe..Runs like a sewing machine. I have had in past a 1976 yellow Civic & 1986 Civic 4-door wagon. Thanks for the forum.............

Back