2012 Starter Issue

I have 2,700 miles on my 2012 Honda Civic EX and have had this starting issue/problem four times now. - It won't turn over or make any noise, but all the dashboard lights will come on. Then when I take the key out and try again, it starts just fine. - The dealership where I leased the car is doing little to nothing to help me resolve the issue, so if anyone has a resolution that I can bring to their attention, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm having the exact same issues with starting my 2012 EX. The dealer is offering to keep it for a few days to see if they can replicate the problem, but the odds of that are probably pretty low since it is happening so randomly. It's not cold weather related, there's no consistent pattern. Very frustrating. I'm going to try to write to HONDA, they need to do a recall.

Did you hear an audible 'click' from under the hood when you tried to crank it? Next time you crank it, listen for that. If it makes a 'click' from the starter, then more than likely it's the starter solenoid that is the issue.

Update: It happened one more time to me at around 34000 miles and then never again. I am about to hit 60K now.

It's hard to say how long I will keep it, but I've heard of Million Mile Joe before. The interesting thing about him is that I don't think he even bought the car brand new. I don't remember for sure though.

he didn't buy it new, you're right. It had like 76k miles on it when he bought it.

the best thing to do about something random is try to capture it on video so that you have proof since the dealer doesnt seem to be helping. and every time go in to have it checked so that the dealer has record everytime you go in so that if it does break entirely you can have it taken care of by honda warranty because its a on going problem

I have 2,700 miles on my 2012 Honda Civic EX and have had this starting issue/problem four times now. - It won't turn over or make any noise, but all the dashboard lights will come on. Then when I take the key out and try again, it starts just fine. - The dealership where I leased the car is doing little to nothing to help me resolve the issue, so if anyone has a resolution that I can bring to their attention, I would greatly appreciate it.
I've had the same problem with mine for the last 4 days. I leased my car in may, it has 700 miles on it. Saturday they couldn't find anything wrong with it. It pulled the same mess this morning and I took it back to them and it wouldn't start for them. They are replacing my starter...on my brand new car...

sorry to hear... did they do any testing on your battery as well, or just the starter?

mine just happen this morning!!!!! just surprise 2nd try it started n back to driving fun.....

I hate to emit how I found this possible answer to the non-start issue, but it sounds like it may be some sort of safety configuration built in to my car in case I try to start it while it's running(Duh)......... and that possibly that might be kicking in on the 1st try to start (as a miss read). JMHO

I've had this happen to me about three or four times already. You basically don't hear anything but what appears to be air being sucked in through the intake. The second crank has always turned it on in this case.

I have had the problem a couple times now with my 2012 Civic EX automatic. Turn key and the car won't start. No sound of any kind. After trying a few times, it finally starts right up. 4600 miles on it. It's at the dealer now. Waiting to hear.

I had a 2006 Civic Si coupe in Fiji Blue Pearl (loved that color - miss it a ton). While the car was a major lemony pain in my *** over four years, I never had starting issues with it.

Except one time, when I was leaving the mall one summer afternoon (normal temperature). I went to start it, and instead of starting and turning over, it made an electronic humming, buzzing noise. I tried again, and it turned over - never happened again.

I never did figure out what caused that.

My 2012 EX-L is about a year old now and I've recently just had Future shop install a remote car starter in Nov 2012. My battery died the weekend after I had it installed, I had it boosted and took it into Future shop and they said that there is nothing wrong with it. It died again last night. If I tow it dead to Honda I'm pretty sure that they will say its the installation and my warranty is invalid, I dont trust that they would do an unbiased assessment. Should I just get my battery boosted and take it to another auto body shop to see if its actually the battery, the installation or the car starter itself?

Back