Bikes!!!! (MTB, Road, etc... just no motors)

That's a steal! haha!

Yeah, I have almost the same bike just sitting here. If you're not in an area with any DH stuff you would have a tough sale. The guy might need $$ now and can't wait for an internet sale. He should be able to get more than that but if the market and riding isn't right.... eh.... I've been in the same boat. Stupid nice bike though. I should get it but then like my other bikes, it would never get ridden either!

No real DH stuff that I know of around these parts. The listing is in Greensboro which I an hour or so north. Not sure of the trails around there.

Went riding last night. Awesome shop ride. We took a new guy out with us and he borrowed my wifes bike. Unfortunately his skills and fitness were pretty sub-par but I didn't mind working on some skills with him for a little bit. I think he was definitely overwhelmed. He's lived next to the park we rode his whole life and never ventured in! Hah! The lead group got a flat so it gave us time to catch up.

I put the wife's bike on a diet. Weighed in at 32 lbs yesterday. New carbon bar, stem, seat post, and clamp on the way. Should drop around a pound and with a new wheel set sometime soon I'll hopefully have her bike under 30.

I also bought a new underseat bag. My old one was nice and big but the front strap was chafing the "stanchion" on my dropper post. I found a tiny micro bag that doesn't have a front strap. Tried it out last night. It barely fits a multi tool, 2 tire levers, a tube, and my keys. Definitely no room for phone or wallet. You could slip a drivers license and CC if you had to. It does exactly what I wanted it to but I think I'm going to have to try and fit the tube between the seat rails. I don't ride with my phone if I'm out with people anyways. Someone else always has one. I should probably look into a new camel back style pack.

Bontrager Micro Seat Bag:

2ng75av.jpg

643py1.jpg

I also need a new fork. Mine sucks. I called Cane Creek directly and ordered a new lower race since my current one is "bonded" to the fork crown and not removable or reusable. I'm open to suggestions for a new trail fork.

Requirements:

26" Wheel
1 1/8- 1.5 tapered steerer
160-180mm travel (don't care about travel adjust)
20mm Maxle ( working on getting hub adapters for 15mm)

I ordered hub adapters from the local Spesh' dealer. Forks can be either 20mm or 15mm axles. Phew.

Also just picked up a new pump for seating tubeless tires:

Bontrager TLR Flash Charger - pump up the chamber and then flip the handle to get a whoosh of air to help inflate/seat the tire. Just like having a compressor without having to buy one. Hopefully it works.

p4pb11423713.jpg

I need to get some new pads... maybe I'll look into that this weekend.

I ordered hub adapters from the local Spesh' dealer. Forks can be either 20mm or 15mm axles. Phew.

Also just picked up a new pump for seating tubeless tires:

Bontrager TLR Flash Charger - pump up the chamber and then flip the handle to get a whoosh of air to help inflate/seat the tire. Just like having a compressor without having to buy one. Hopefully it works.

p4pb11423713.jpg
these pumps are the best, i need a new one heh

Reactions: Nix
Just put new grips and the Bontrager RXL carbon bars on my wifes bike. Still waiting on the stem to show up.

Grips:

Old grips 85g
10mptty.jpg

New grips with locks, the locks should weigh more so the grips are definitely lighter and no more rotation. More performance, equal weight:

2how9l4.jpg

Old bars were 640mm with 6° upsweep, 8° backsweep, 31.8 clamp, and 15mm rise. Weight: 261g

2ibgbxc.jpg

New bars: Bontrager Race X-Lite Carbon

Same specs but 720mm length. Weight: 178g - 4 grams lighter than published. Nice job Bontrager! 80mm longer and 80+ grams lighter.

346p9nn.jpg

Finished product:

29qin9d.jpg

So thats 83 grams lighter, or just about 0.2 lbs, with the new stem it'll be 0.25lbs total weight lost in the front. With the new seat post, clamp, and tubes it should be just about 0.5 lbs. New pedals will drop another 0.25lbs and the new wheel set should be 2-3 lbs lighter. Hopefully after all that and possibly a drivetrain conversion the bike will sit in the 28-29lb range. I think thats pretty decent for an older 5" aluminum AM bike. I'm thinking about cutting the bars down to 700 or 680mm width. Drop a few more grams but mostly for comfort. Have to see what she thinks after a couple rides.

And the new stem came in today, seat post should show up tomorrow!!

Old stem: 60mm, 0° rise, 165g

waljx1.jpg

New stem: 60mm, 7° rise, 115g - Exactly 50g lighter.

2gxmujk.jpg

Comparison: 50g lighter on the left

fmjur7.jpg

So another 50g down, plus the 83g from the bars is 133g total weight loss in just the bar/stem combo alone which is 0.3lbs or so. I weighed the bike before and after.

Before weight was 32.5lbs and after the swap the big scale read 32.2lbs, means both scales are accurate and the weight loss is real! Almost 1/2lb down without changing anything difficult.

Seatpost came in today!

Loaded Precision X-Lite Ultra Aluminum.

Old post: No name 30.9 cut down stock Specialized "black" AL: 288g

o01eld.jpg

New post: 196g Cut shorter, I didn't measure but its approx 2" longer than the old one.

23s9ndf.jpg

Length comparison:

3c75y.jpg

So weight loss is 92g which comes out to just over 0.2lbs! That plus the bar/stem loss of 0.3 lbs means we are down a total of 1/2lb! Just on three simple parts a half pound gone. Not bad.....

Total weight loss: 225g / 0.49604 pounds

More parts!!!! Yeah!

Pedals came in today. I've ridden this companies pedals before and they work great especially for the price. I hate their name. Xpedo. They put an accent/pronounciation bar over the E, cause it's a long E sound, so the name is X-peee-do. But it really looks like Ex-pedo. Great. Yeah. Ex-pedo. Anyways......

I don't know where the Sun Zu-Zu's that were on here went. Rocking stock blocks for the time being: Heavy, black, crappy bushing pedals.

266g per pedal! Both pedals were exactly the same weight. Pretty accurate for stock crap.

33mv2q9.jpg

Combined weight of 531g = 1.170 pounds

2hqx8nd.jpg

Xpedo Spry - Claimed weight 260g: I've seen on the scale pics ranging from 245-261g. I expected the same or close to claimed weight. One pedal was 135g and the other 136g. Could be the paint color is thicker and weighs more but I have an overall weight of 271g. Over claimed weight by a bit but still half the weight of the stock pedals for a very cheap price. Sealed bearings feel great. I cannot complain over 11g for how cheap these were.

bebz3o.jpg

2duax6b.jpg

Thickness comparison:

2pzagc3.jpg

So weight loss is 531g - 271g = 260g which is 0.573 lbs. Wow, over half a pound lost on pedals alone.

Current bike weight according to floor scale: 31.8 LBS

Grams lost so far: 485g = 1.06lbs

Starting weight was 32.5 so either I had the bike balanced wrong on the floor scale initially or the floor scale is not accurate because it should be closer to 31.5lbs overall. Off by 0.3lbs.

I need to find something to calibrate both scales! It seemed accurate at the start but now something is off! Crap!

Back