Disabling VSA w/ wheels that have no TPMS Sensors.

dirtybird222

'
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
So I previously had a 2012 Civic Si that I autoxed a few times. I had an extra set of 2011 Si wheels with Hankook RS-3s but no TPMS sensors. The problem was that the car recognized that there was no signal from the TPMS sensors and I couldn't turn off traction control/VSA which was a huge turn off and very frustrating while autoxing. Losing throttle response and getting no tire spin seriously degraded my times and my fun lol.

Anyways, it seemed as if no one had found an answer for this except to put all of your tpms sensors in your spare tire. Not practical when you have two sets of tires and you'd still like to use that "safety feature." Pulling the fuse did absolutely nothing to bypass the TPMS Nazi and curious if anyone has found a solution to this.

My reading has me concluding that Honda purposely tied the two systems together. Logic being...if you have a TPMS failure, it's also important that the computer aid in control of the vehicle through the stability assist. Honda one-upped the federal government on that one. TPMS is a terrible feature as it is, but tying the two together was worse. You could try to import a Canadian Civic, they don't have TPMS.

The only thing that can conceivably work on these sensors is to put them in a pressurized vessel of whatever blend. BUT...if the RFID in the sensor is supposed to be close to the receiver sensor, say mounted somewhere in the general vicinity of the wheel in proper place, that will also fail. I can't remember if it was this forum or the other, somebody was trying to sell a programmable solution...one where you could reprogram the sensors such that low pressure was okay, but you still had to have the sensors in the wheels.

problem with ^ is...the sensors activate on rotation to get the reading. If they are in a pressurized canister/spare tire etc... it will not work. It will not give a proper reading to the ecu. You'll still end up with a tpms error. They have to be in motion/rotating to send the info.

problem with ^ is...the sensors activate on rotation to get the reading. If they are in a pressurized canister/spare tire etc... it will not work. It will not give a proper reading to the ecu. You'll still end up with a tpms error. They have to be in motion/rotating to send the info.

I remember in some thread AlienPrime said you could pull a fuse or something? If i find the thread I'll post a link

Yea it's turrible what they did with these new ones. At least with the 8th gen you'd just get a hard TPMS code but could still disable VSA. The only solution I've found for autox is to take both sets of wheels/tires with you and keep swapping out after each run because it takes about 2-3 miles at minimum for the TPMS system to pick up on the fact they aren't there.

I went to the old dealership I worked at with the last one and attempted to completely disable the system with the Honda tablet with absolutely no luck (option really didn't exist). Not sure if the system was updated with 2012 Si information and features yet but it looks like you are pretty much screwed unless you get an HPD ecu that Conti Series Civic Sis run.

I remember in some thread AlienPrime said you could pull a fuse or something? If i find the thread I'll post a link

Yea I tried that multiple times on the 2012 to no avail. I don't have the extra set of wheels tires to try on this new one.

In here there was some talk, i dont think a conclusion was ever reached on the whole fuse thing from what i read

http://9thcivic.com/forum/index.php?threads/7345/
Wheel purchasing !

Turned the notification off. But, if you do get the system off by removing a relay or something, if you get caught for whatever reason, it's tens of thousands of dollars to Uncle Sam for breaking the law. IMO, it's crap, but...it is what it is.

Turned the notification off. But, if you do get the system off by removing a relay or something, if you get caught for whatever reason, it's tens of thousands of dollars to Uncle Sam for breaking the law. IMO, it's crap, but...it is what it is.

Lol it is not required for state inspections nor will a cop pull you over to make sure your TPMS is working properly. It's mandated for the manufacturers to have it on every new vehicle sold. If you disable it on your own accord that is your own choice and you deal with not have annoying system telling you that your tire pressure is 1psi low (sarcasm).

Lol it is not required for state inspections nor will a cop pull you over to make sure your TPMS is working properly. It's mandated for the manufacturers to have it on every new vehicle sold. If you disable it on your own accord that is your own choice and you deal with not have annoying system telling you that your tire pressure is 1psi low (sarcasm).

I'm sure if you got into an accident and it was found the system was disabled and had or potentially had anything to do with tire pressure, you're in trouble. I know it's mandated, and I'm sure as this mandate ages, states, especially California and New York will use it as an opportunity to get "revenue" when deficient. Like charging $50 for a $5 license plate light bulb that was burned out to pass NYS safety inspection. Do what you want to your car, disable what you can.

it is fuse #40...
wca9O.sized.jpg

Yea I tried that multiple times on the 2012 to no avail. I don't have the extra set of wheels tires to try on this new one.
i can make a video of it working haha. I have a wheels with tmps sensors that i paired, put a 7.5A fuse in there and notification came on, pulled the fuse, off it went again.

I don't think "TPMS is a terrible feature". It's a great feature for probably 99% of drivers. It's a pain in the *** for the other 1% that like to swap wheels.

For example, my gf hit a curb and unknowingly bent the lip of her stock steel wheel just enough to cause a leak. She wouldn't have known it was low for a long time because the light went on before it was actually noticeable at a glance. Most people aren't enthusiasts and don't stand back to admire their car, and as a result don't notice the air pressure looks low. Also, these people are not usually mechanically inclined and forget to pump up their tires. Without good knowledge of tires, it's hard to imagine that tires just lose air for no reason. Heck, if there wasn't a fuel gauge, these 99% of people would probably expect to never have to fill up on gas until they run out in the middle of street for the first time.

When I had my 2012 Civic Si, I had pulled the fuse for TPMS, had my autox wheels/tires on w/ no TPMS sensors and I still got the error. Maybe the Canadian version of our cars doesn't have a failsafe that if the fuse happens to go missing or blows the TPMS system will still work in proper fashion.

I'd like someone with a US spec version to confirm it. Not saying I don't believe you, but with my own trial and error not working with the fuse....I'm hoping the 2013s are different.

And trustdestruction, my comment stems from dealing with it as a tech for so many years and as an inconvenience it provides me as someone who loves to autox and do HPDEs. I know it's great for the simpletons out there who spend thousands of dollars on a car and have no idea how to take care of their cars and need flashing lights, blinking lights, or big warning signs to let them know something is wrong or its time to take the car into the dealer because this light is telling them too. Those systems were part of my livelihood for a while so I can't complain too much.

Back