Disabling VSA w/ wheels that have no TPMS Sensors.

or you can pull the fuse to #24 which disables the VSA all together which that means you also lose ABS and power steering becomes stiff as you lose the power assist feature from EPS...But this is the US version which I have a 2012 Civic Si...Now unless you know what you are doing I highly recommend not doing this as you are now driving without ABS and also No power steering assist other then that enjoy you winter. I have not really driven around with this off so I will update when I leave work today.

^ okay scrap this options as it sucks because you are fighting the EPS and it is worse then driving with just a manual poer steering rack, so next best thing short of buying new sensors is, do not pull fuse 24 as lose all functions and it will disable VSA but this is not a very good option because you will be fighting the EPS(big no-no), so the next best thing which I just did and drove around like this, is beside from the obvious sensors and what not, but just disconnect the ABS/VSA unit which is located behind right side headlight in the engine compartment, Now if you do this beware that you "WILL NOT HAVE ABS or Traction control assist at all. Another thing is also you have to make sure to seal up the connections of the unit and connectors with a plastic bag and some zipties to prevent water intrusion and corrosion, this option is still not very wise unless you know what your getting yourself into and are mechanically inclined. Those that know nothing or very little I would recommend not doing this otherwise, this is your only option it seems if you do not want to buy some new sensors...This is also good for those who want to AutoX on the weekends as well. oh and the fuses can be plugged back in as well. And yes you still have the function of power steering, even though you will get message saying check power steering system.

^ okay scrap this options as it sucks because you are fighting the EPS and it is worse then driving with just a manual poer steering rack, so next best thing short of buying new sensors is, do not pull fuse 24 as lose all functions and it will disable VSA but this is not a very good option because you will be fighting the EPS(big no-no), so the next best thing which I just did and drove around like this, is beside from the obvious sensors and what not, but just disconnect the ABS/VSA unit which is located behind right side headlight in the engine compartment, Now if you do this beware that you "WILL NOT HAVE ABS or Traction control assist at all. Another thing is also you have to make sure to seal up the connections of the unit and connectors with a plastic bag and some zipties to prevent water intrusion and corrosion, this option is still not very wise unless you know what your getting yourself into and are mechanically inclined. Those that know nothing or very little I would recommend not doing this otherwise, this is your only option it seems if you do not want to buy some new sensors...This is also good for those who want to AutoX on the weekends as well. oh and the fuses can be plugged back in as well. And yes you still have the function of power steering, even though you will get message saying check power steering system.
Can you include a few pics with what we are disconnecting I need this badly.

^yeah I will get some pictures tommorow after the storm, it is snowing out right now so will try to get some pictures tommorow, but you can miss it it is the ABS pump unit with the brake lines coming out of it, when you lift your bonnet up and look right, right behind the headlight you will see a unit with some hard aluminum lines coming out of them, it is a big connector and a bit tricky to unplug, there is a white clip the you pull back when you press a tab right in front of the white clip and then pull the connector from the ABS/TC unit.....

"""Again I will address this, that this is very dangerous and eliminates all safety features of ABS/Traction control assist, so do this at your own risk and if you want to have full control of your vehicle during the winter months without TPMS sensors"""....

If you have never driven a car without traction control or ABS I highly advise not to do this..... Other then that just be sure you properly cover you connector and unit from getting water/corrosion on it...

here is a picture of a picture of a older 8thGen civic but the location and the look of it is similar so look for that and unplug that unit....If you still have trouble I will then provide you with a better picture of our Gen Civic.

CivicABSunit.png

wow really theres no way of disabling tpms system ??? When I do road racing at streets of willow I end up running like low 20psi tire pressures; maybe even dipping down to about 16 to 17psi... With TPMS on I cant do this... And I like TypeS2Si said I could disconnect vsa but I would lose ABS ... I guess I try it out when I hit the track in feb. 2014

^Gotta love missouri! No emissions, no tpms, radar detectors are legal... haha

wow really theres no way of disabling tpms system ??? When I do road racing at streets of willow I end up running like low 20psi tire pressures; maybe even dipping down to about 16 to 17psi... With TPMS on I cant do this... And I like TypeS2Si said I could disconnect vsa but I would lose ABS ... I guess I try it out when I hit the track in feb. 2014

After lowering the pressure on all 4 tires, reset the system and drive at least 15mph for about 1/2 a mile IIRC. It should then consider that normal pressure and you should be good to go. Just remember to reset it again after you fill the tires back up.

Of course, all that is moot if our systems have some kind of minimum acceptable pressure hard coded into them but I doubt that.

Last edited:
After lowering the pressure on all 4 tires, reset the system and drive at least 15mph for about 1/2 a mile IIRC. It should then consider that normal pressure and you should be good to go. Just remember to reset it again after you fill the tires back up.

Of course, all that is moot if our systems have some kind of minimum acceptable pressure hard coded into them but I doubt that.
How do you reset the system on the tpms ???

It has a value hard coded into the system for recommended tire pressure.

How do you reset the system on the tpms ???
There should be a procedure in the manual but if Webby's right, it won't matter. :(

EDIT: Couldn't find the procedure in the manual so unless it's one of those hidden procedures, it doesn't appear doable. All the Toyotas I've owned since '05 had a button in the glove box.

Last edited:
^yeah I will get some pictures tommorow after the storm, it is snowing out right now so will try to get some pictures tommorow, but you can miss it it is the ABS pump unit with the brake lines coming out of it, when you lift your bonnet up and look right, right behind the headlight you will see a unit with some hard aluminum lines coming out of them, it is a big connector and a bit tricky to unplug, there is a white clip the you pull back when you press a tab right in front of the white clip and then pull the connector from the ABS/TC unit.....

"""Again I will address this, that this is very dangerous and eliminates all safety features of ABS/Traction control assist, so do this at your own risk and if you want to have full control of your vehicle during the winter months without TPMS sensors"""....

If you have never driven a car without traction control or ABS I highly advise not to do this..... Other then that just be sure you properly cover you connector and unit from getting water/corrosion on it...
so if you unplug the abs unit you'll disable the tpms and traction control ???

I'm about to invest in some track suspension and I dont want to drop $2 Grand on a suspension on a car thats going to trip out when I lower my road racing tires down to 16 to 19psi or 10 to 12psi on drag slicks...

Yesterday i went in and had them put tpms into my motegi rims. I bought the sensors from another member, and they charged $106 to put them in and code them, not too bad

Back