Disabling VSA w/ wheels that have no TPMS Sensors.

so if you unplug the abs unit you'll disable the tpms and traction control ???

I'm about to invest in some track suspension and I dont want to drop $2 Grand on a suspension on a car thats going to trip out when I lower my road racing tires down to 16 to 19psi or 10 to 12psi on drag slicks...

Hit us up and we will set you up with all the best items for the track

Not sure if this would work for you Civic guys but on my 2011 Fit I found a way to not run TPMS sensors and still have control of the VSA disable button. I found if your reprogram the TMPS sensors to the car (with a HDS or equivalent) and then get the sensors away from the car before you drive it. The car's TPMS system will continue to search for the sensors BUT I can use the VSA disable button indefinitely! The dash indicator will continue to flash though (taped it). Not an easy solution but if you have access to a HDS you might be able to do this. Death to TPMS!

my buddy with a fit RS just took them all out and kept them in his glove box so the computer still registered them hahahah
I had heard that they needed to be kept moving, as in a wheel, in order to be seen by the ecu. Also, wouldn't they show 4 flat tires sitting in the glove box? I made a TPMS "B0MB" that never got used. If anyone wants it, it's yours for the cost of shipping BUT YOU HAVE TO USE IT ON THE 9TH GEN AND REPORT BACK! All it is, is two 3" pvc ends, a bit of straight pipe and a standard tire valve. One end is not glued up yet. The idea is to glue it shut with the sensors inside and then fill it to about 30 psi. Then store it in the trunk. Here's a picture.
TPMS Bomb.jpg

^^^ On second thought, probably not a great idea to put something that looks like that in the mail, even though it's harmless!

If you've never driven a car without ABS or one that comes standard with ABS and then disabled you'll be in for a nice treat when you go to the track.........

If you've never driven a car without ABS or one that comes standard with ABS and then disabled you'll be in for a nice treat when you go to the track.........

Is that a round-about way of saying "you may not want to do that"? lol. My first vehicle had two-wheel ABS, I believe (I assume most have 4).

Is that a round-about way of saying "you may not want to do that"? lol. My first vehicle had two-wheel ABS, I believe (I assume most have 4).

Yes lol. Most people put a proportioning valve in the brake system when disabling the ABS.

Not exactly. Because sometimes when exiting a turn you want to just mash on the gas and go and if VSA detects wheel spin it cuts the throttle and there is no throttle response until it deems it's safe to have power delivered to the wheels again. If you are a driver that likes to enter a turn smoothly and exit smoothly then maybe but as Dale Jr. says "Enter the turn like an angel exit it like a bat out of hell." My opinion the less electronics are assisting the better. Thank god Honda still puts a real LSD in the Si and doesn't use that torque vectoring crap everyone is going too.

I have not read up on everything Honda's VSA does in that aspect. All I know is every time I've autoxed with the VSA on my times are significantly lower because I have zero throttle response in tight turns because the computer is trying to prevent wheel spin. Any gains you would make in rear wheel braking assist you'd lose in your ability to control the throttle.

hey fellows, this is my first time here and i have a 2012 civic, during the winter time i hit the curb and in the dash showing check tpms, changed the rims but put the old sensor back, light is still there and while the light is on cant turn of VSA, i'm going to try to pull out fuse #40, but is there anyways to reprogram it by myself or turn it off manually? thanks for your time in advance!
ok, so i pulled fuse #40 (7.5) and tpms system check info is still there, didn't work!! (US version civic coupe)
is there any other solutions fellows?

Last edited:
You'll probably need to buy another sensor. Dealers have dropped their prices on them and have it reprogrammed. This past weekend I stopped by the old Honda dealer I used to work at to get some warranty work done and while one of my buddies was doing his thing I was messing around with the Honda PC trying to adjust the threshold for the TPMS light to go on (so i could run 26psi up front and 40 in the rear for autox and track days). It won't let you do anything even for "accessory wheels" as the option. Honda has the TPMS system pretty locked down on these 9th gens and it totally screws with the VSA nonsense as well. HONDATA needs to come up with a solution haha.

Why not just buy the "ez sensors" and program to the car. Cheaper than stock sensors and work the same, I have them in my snow wheels.
Coming back to this thread because I'm looking at a new winter setup if I get an Si. Where did you buy these? I found them for hundreds per sensor online.

Back