Does Seafoam actually work? Vid.

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
VIP Member
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
So engine additives are generally a very contentious topic. Yea, our Civics really don't need anything other than routine maintenance to last hundreds of thousands of miles. Still people want to know.... Do any of these magic fixes actually do anything? Well, heres a pretty good video of Seafoam and in a Civic! Its an 8th gen, but I still think its pretty informative.

Check it out...

In 2003 I had an 87 z24 with 200k + miles that would not pass emissions, someone suggested a seafoam product and it worked. I guess they just make good stuff...

Reactions: Nix
I really expected snake oil in all honesty. There is a couple ways to use the stuff. This one seems like it might actually do something. Interesting as heck! The guy has a ton of other vids of similar cleaners. This one happened to have a Civic. Bonus - the stuff works!

I had good luck once with Lucas transmission fix. Had an 03 civic automatic and around 50-60k had some issues with slippage and hard shifting. Changed the atf and added the Lucas. Within a few hundred miles I had no issues and it lasted to 135k, then had to replace the transmission. I ran it till 170k and traded it on my current Si. When trading the guy asked me where the rest of the car was at.. Lol

I've been using SF for quite a few years on my MC's and cars...... Usually use the amount suggested(per-gallon) for the 1st time then about half of that afterwards, and only about every 3 months.
If for no other reason to remove water from the system.

Last edited:
kind of wonder what the cat looks like after doing that

Disclaimer: By opinion is not based on any kind of analytical science but based on my experiences....YES...this stuff really works. It has certainly made all my power equipment run better and I use it when I store my BMW for the winter. I have a few very critical friends who swear by this stuff. If it were "snake oil" they would be the first to complain. This is probably the only fuel additive that will give you tangible results. I highly recommend it.

I agree this is one of the few products that actually does anything productive. When I was rebuilding the engine in my old car we took the valves out of the head and soaked them for a few days in seafoam to help loosen up 200k of carbon buildup. They were like new when done. Haven't tried putting it in the engine oil though.

I agree this is one of the few products that actually does anything productive. When I was rebuilding the engine in my old car we took the valves out of the head and soaked them for a few days in seafoam to help loosen up 200k of carbon buildup. They were like new when done. Haven't tried putting it in the engine oil though.
I've done the engine oil thing on my MC, which has a glass window to check the oil level. After using it the window is clear.
The way I use it is to put it in the oil and go for a 20, 40 mile ride, then come home and drain the oil & filter, replace with new oil & filter.

As a gas treatment, I'd feel safer doing it by adding to fuel tank so that it cleans the tank, fuel lines, and everything else the gas touches.
I'm not feeling as comfortable doing it as a direct blast, because I wouldn't want it to come loose in chunks. I don't know that it will, but I don't know that it won't.

So engine additives are generally a very contentious topic. Yea, our Civics really don't need anything other than routine maintenance to last hundreds of thousands of miles. Still people want to know.... Do any of these magic fixes actually do anything? Well, heres a pretty good video of Seafoam and in a Civic! Its an 8th gen, but I still think its pretty informative.

Check it out...

With unleaded fuel and low oil consumption there is very little carbon build-up. At 120k those pistons are very clean. My auto-tech instructor (circa 1970) recommended running a quart of ATF through the carb, using the same process. My Road Runner totally smoked the neighborhood and the plugs were coated something awful. Only did this once at about 12,000 miles and kept the car for another 16 years (189,000 miles total). Have to admit I had to change plugs every 4 - 5,000 miles, but the car was burning a quart of oil every 625 miles since she was new - and did she run!

Reactions: Nix
Thank God our engines are not direct injection:hail:

Cabron build up on the GTI with more than 50k miles on Intake valves
52-1.jpg

4.jpg

Engineers state carbon buildup vs carbon burn off reaches an equilibrium at about 10k miles. And that seafoam and gumout both work but once treated there is an increased rate of carbon buildup.

Wow, makes perfect sense... Do you think the type of gas has something to do with it? Someone recently started a gas thread here...
Some gas has cleaning agents in it. Around here Shell Vmax (think that's the name). That may produce less carbon buildup if used consistently, other than that not really.

Ya around here we have bp and she'll, a friend of mine runs tankers of gas for fill stations and claims he can smell the difference between most top tier fuel companies and shell and bp. Supposedly bp has their own refineries and racks to fill, al their own equipment.... Or so he says

Back