First Oil Change - 2012 Civic Si

turbojay

So, I just did the first oil change on my 2012 Civic Si at 5k miles today. For some reason, the car now seems to have a lot more power, the revs go up way faster then before. Is my mind playing tricks on me or could an oil change cause the engine to run smoother? Anyone else experience this?​

can't imagine it making a huge difference... full synthetic would technically be more lubrication (if you used it), but even then...

I know a handful of users have done their first change.

The oil that came with the motor comes with break in fluid. Which makes it feel thicker than usual, and the rpms stay up longer between shifts. I was pissed at it at first but I looked into it. Now I use Mobil 1 5W-20 with mobil 1 filter

The technical advantages of synthetic motor oils include:
  • Measurably better low- and high-temperature viscosity performance at service temperature extremes
  • Better chemical & shear stability
  • Decreased evaporative loss
  • Resistance to oxidation, thermal breakdown, and oil sludge problems
  • Extended drain intervals with the environmental benefit of less oil waste.
  • Improved fuel economy in certain engine configurations.
  • Better lubrication during extreme cold weather starts
  • Longer engine life
  • Superior protection against "ash" and other deposit formation in engine hot spots (in particular in turbochargers and superchargers) for less oil burnoff and reduced chances of damaging oil passageway clogging.
  • Increased horsepower and torque due to less initial drag on engine
  • Does not contain detergents

Where did you get that list from? I've never heard of a non-detergent motor oil currently for sale. There shouldn't be any difference in drag, since the viscosity of the oil is identical. Same with longer engine life, and "measurable better low/high viscosity". Some full synthetics, like Group III - example- Valvoline Syn. used to be group III, are from the same base stock as their conventional oil counterparts, the way they are made "synthetic" is their additive package.

When I did my first oil change at 5k, my car felt like it pulled harder but I thought it was just my mind playing tricks on me haha.

Just curious since were kinda on the subject of first oil changes... Is it bad to change oil for the first time too early? like around 1k miles? is the oil that comes in the engine supposed to be ran for a certian time period?

There is a high count of molybdenum from grease/lube used in engine assembly. A lot of people who have had oil analysis done on their first oil change showed high levels of moly in the oil. That seems to be the source of the rumors that they used special break-in oil. It has anti-wear properties, so draining it early won't help things.

from wiki -

Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) is used as a solid lubricant and a high-pressure high-temperature (HPHT) antiwear agent. It forms strong films on metallic surfaces and is a common additive to HPHT greases — in the event of a catastrophic grease failure, a thin layer of molybdenum prevents contact of the lubricated parts. It also has semiconducting properties with distinct advantages over traditional silicon or graphene in electronics applications. MoS2 is also used as a catalyst in hydrocracking of petroleum fractions containing nitrogen, sulfur and oxygen.

I just use what's recommended, which is 5w-30. I don't think I'll go a different oil weight. Lol.

Back