General Altimax Arctic review

Yes, mine have been on since early November, however I haven't driven it in a while, going to install the new battery tonight and trade vehicles.

My initial impressions:

Specs: Studdless 205/50/17 on my 2012 RR Si Coupe, stock suspension.

These things are AWESOME. This is my first venture into winter tires for a FWD car and I won't have a car without them now. I live in Central Maine where we have a pretty significant annual snowfall (~100 in) and a lot of ice.

So far I've noticed that snow/slush covered road take-offs, stopping, and cornering has been drastically improved over my Michelin all-season tires. With FWD and an LSD, my car always wanted to go straight when going through a corner on the gas, it was a disconcerting feeling. With the Altimax's, that is completely gone, you can run through tight corners on the gas and the car tracks the road perfectly.

I'm not sure if it's the softer rubber compound or the fact that I now have a 50 series sidewall over the previous 45 series, but the ride comfort went up as well, they seem to soak up the bumps a bit better.

I've been running with traction control off, and I rarely have issues with spinning like I used to with the stock all-seasons. The tire tech asked me if I wanted them studded and I opted to not have them, he reassured me that I would still get the performance I was looking for and I'd say I definitely have. They're incredibly quiet for such a meaty tire, which I'm impressed with.

I'll make sure to update in a few weeks/months when I have some more driving completed with them.

Also, dat salt. :face-puke:

Very nice. I need to finish up my wheels so I can get the Artics mounted!

My car is ready! The Arctics are on. And it's going to snow this Thursday and Friday. :rockwoot:
1521731_10151596258767168_731670843_n.jpg

Mine are still doing great! We've gotten a ton of snow here in Maine the past few weeks and I'm so glad I have them. Haven't gotten stuck yet!

Another storm coming tonight. :bananasplit:

The Generals are one of Top Rated Studdable tires. They use technology developed in Sweeden. As the OP stated most winter tires will have a little longer stopping distance in dry versus an all season or summer performance but the stopping distance on Ice an Snow is greatly improved. The tires perform well without studs. Adding studs will give them a little better packed snow and ice traction. These are a best seller here at the Tire Rack. I am glad to here you guys have been happy with them as well.

This is a pic I took last January. That was a fun drive.
jygenuna.jpg

Tuesday's snow was an epic failure since my area got like 2mm. But my Arctics did well on the icy roads yesterday and today. The freezing temp is making ice rinks on the roads/highways. I was feeling some noticeable slipping on the highway. It's supposed to snow tomorrow but I feel like it will be another baby snow fall.

I'm going to be putting my winter setup back on the Subie.

'15 WRX stockers with General Altimax Arctic tires (one winter on them)

I did notice last year that my tires were louder than my buddy's tires (same brand but different size).

He has 235/45/17 and I have 225/45/17 :-/

Isn't that odd?

9.25" wide vs 8.85" wide.... I would actually think his would be louder with the wider contact patch. Same amount of tread on them?

9.25" wide vs 8.85" wide.... I would actually think his would be louder with the wider contact patch. Same amount of tread on them?
I would have thought that also. Yes same amount of tread.

I bought a new set of Arctics just to prep for this expected long cold winter. My current ones probably have one more season left (or less depending on this winter season).

With eBay bucks and the $100 off discount via discounttire on eBay, I only paid ~$209 shipped for the set. :woot:

I bought a new set of Arctics just to prep for this expected long cold winter. My current ones probably have one more season left (or less depending on this winter season).

With eBay bucks and the $100 off discount via discounttire on eBay, I only paid ~$209 shipped for the set. :woot:

Damn! What size? $209. hell-of-a-deal

Damn! What size? $209. hell-of-a-deal
Just 205/50/17. The $250 savings made me get the tires lol. EBay bucks have expiration dates and mine expires by the end of the month. I didnt know what else to get with my eBay bucks. So I figured this was the best choice due to the large discounts. If General Tire still has their tire rebate, then this set would have cost me $159. Haha.

Back