HELP PLZZ!!! Coil over noise

Neemerz

I just got finished installing my d2 coil overs and in the rear it makes this horrendous clunking noise as if everything is lose and jiggling around! I went back through and tightened all the collars and bolts but still have the same problem, anyone know what this could be?!

Is the spring loose? Check the preload on that to make sure it isn't rattling around.

The spring doesn't seem to be loose, but I'm unable to adjust the ride height of the spring so something has to be wrong

Lol this is easy, it's your rear struts. You didn't tighten them all the way in the trunk or you are missing one of the bushings. What is happening is when you hit a bump or drive on an uneven road, the space between the top of the rear struts is hitting the trunk. You need to go back in the trunk and take your Alan key and a rachet wrench, If you have one and tighten it down, meaning take the 14mm bolt out from the bottom of the strut and have someone hold it in place enough floor you to be able to tighten them.
The springs won't make noise, but one thing D2 did that I'm still not happy with is the rear isolators are bigger than the actual knuckle so there is an easy 1" gap on both sides and it can slide around from time to time. I've called and emailed tons if times for this fix and nothing :/
But your problem is definitely the rear struts....happened to me when I did my install on my old 8thgen and that how I found out, plus I've helped many people with this same issue and it's Lways that they don't tighten the struts enough!

yup was missing one of my bushings on the top! thanks so much everyone

Glad you got it fixed buddy!
I have the same problem! Noise coming from the rear with d2 coilovers I check the bolts in the trunk and they're pretty tight. When I push down on the car it makes noise? Iv check the whole installation and everything seemed perfect so idk what it is. Springs need breaking in maybe? Iv just been told theres supposed to be no noise at all

I have the same problem! Noise coming from the rear with d2 coilovers I check the bolts in the trunk and they're pretty tight. When I push down on the car it makes noise? Iv check the whole installation and everything seemed perfect so idk what it is. Springs need breaking in maybe? Iv just been told theres supposed to be no noise at all

If it is making a "clunking" style noise to were it sounds like something is banging, its your struts not tightened. Double check your bushings inside the trunk and out under the wheel well.
The springs themselves don't really "settle" but its possible that your rings are sliding on around the knuckle. I'm not sure if D2 has fixed this issue or not since they never completely fixed my issue for the rear, but the rear perches for the springs are waaaayyyy too wide and big for the rear knuckle. (Assuming they haven't fixed this) The diameter of the upper rear knuckle is nearly 3 to 4 times smaller than the diameter of the top part of the rear spring. Every now and then, I have an issue where I can here this sliding, but its rare since my car is used to where it sits on the springs now.
All in all, just go back and re-check everything. I know that it seems that you have checked everything, but trust me, I did the same thing before I found out what the heck it was and I didn't have anyone that had this issue before so I was all alone trying to find what it could be.
If you have any other questions, let me know. I'm a ghost on this site and I like to lurk quietly, but I'm a big wheels and suspension guy and do not mind helping anyone out!

Last edited:
If it is making a "clunking" style noise to were it sounds like something is banging, its your struts not tightened. Double check your bushings inside the trunk and out under the wheel well.
The springs themselves don't really "settle" but its possible that your rings are sliding on around the knuckle. I'm not sure if D2 has fixed this issue or not since they never completely fixed my issue for the rear, but the rear perches for the springs are waaaayyyy too wide and big for the rear knuckle. (Assuming they haven't fixed this) The diameter of the upper rear knuckle is nearly 3 to 4 times smaller than the diameter of the top part of the rear spring. Every now and then, I have an issues where I can here this sliding, but its rare since my car is used to where it sits on the sprint now.
All in all, just go back and re-check everything. I know that it seems that you have checked everything, but trust me, I did the same thing before I found out what the heck it was and I didn't have anyone that had this issues before so I was all alone trying to find what it could be.
If you have any other questions, let me know. I'm a ghost on this site and I like to lurk quietly, but I'm a big wheels and suspension guy and do not mind helping anyone out!
Ok I appreciate it man il probably check everything again once it heats up over here it's like 15 deg:(( iv also talked to some of the techs at work and they think that it's the cold causing the noise. They said during cold weather is the worst time to install suspension cause it will make noise until it warms up again and everything settles down so we'll see:)

The springs themselves don't really "settle" but its possible that your rings are sliding on around the knuckle. I'm not sure if D2 has fixed this issue or not since they never completely fixed my issue for the rear, but the rear perches for the springs are waaaayyyy too wide and big for the rear knuckle. (Assuming they haven't fixed this) The diameter of the upper rear knuckle is nearly 3 to 4 times smaller than the diameter of the top part of the rear spring. Every now and then, I have an issue where I can here this sliding, but its rare since my car is used to where it sits on the springs now.
All in all, just go back and re-check everything. I know that it seems that you have checked everything, but trust me, I did the same thing before I found out what the heck it was and I didn't have anyone that had this issue before so I was all alone trying to find what it could be.
So it hit 60deg today and there's is no more noise as far as the noise I heard(the squeaking) goes:) the only noise I hear now in either when I'm going slow on hills or bumps like in driveways or the engine is kinda bogging on like 1st gear take offs, I was making it bog pretty good on purpose to test it and that's when I heard it I also hear it on start up so I think it's my exhaust is hitting the spring on the right side considering it was super close already with the stock spring and I'm sure that's what is making some noise now that the spring is way bigger. Maybe not to sure but the annoying sounds is now gone now I just hear this rubbing kinda sound on the right side? Is this a normal issue with the full-race exhaust setup since it's not really a perfectly fit exhaust to begin with that yall might of heard of?

do you see marks on the exhaust from it hitting the springs?

Hey @webby just crawled under the car and yes there is marks from the spring touching the exhaust it's actually so close to it I can't even get my pinky nail in between it

So I need to do an oil change and while I'm under it ima see if I can somehow move it away some more.

You bend your hangers at all?

Yeah, but that was due to trying to fix an installer error (me)...and then having to bend it back close to where it should have been. Instead of 90º it is probably at 100-105º. The rubber hanger is all stretched and whack looking too. I may fix it one day if I get bored.

Yeah, but that was due to trying to fix an installer error (me)...and then having to bend it back close to where it should have been. Instead of 90º it is probably at 100-105º. The rubber hanger is all stretched and whack looking too. I may fix it one day if I get bored.
Hmm well I might just have to do this to avoid the rattling or I might just attach a 3m soft pad thing or something that can handle the heat to reduce the sound and the banging. Idk to me that just seems to close.

Back