HELP PLZZ!!! Coil over noise

hey guys, bringing this back. i am having the same issue with my TEIN street advance. the rear springs are larger in diameter to sit on the coil adjuster sleeve. Hitting my full race exhaust just like the pic above. I am going to loosen the exhaust and try to reposition everything to move it away from the spring. If that doesn't work I think I will just put a slight dent in the axle back piping to make it clear.

I will take some pics and report back this weekend

Reactions: Nix
i think i got mine to where i want it. here is what i did:

1. removed axle back, dented piping where the spring was rubbing
20150719_114252.jpg20150719_114226.jpg
2. loosened mid pip clamp. pushed hanger above v-band out as much as i could. there is just about 1/2" of the hanger coming through the rubber. this moved the whole exhaust in towards the frame
20150719_121304.jpg
3. held exhaust tip in place as best i could while tightening the v- band. tightening the clamp draws the pipe back towards the spring so the gap is much smaller than it looks but it is not rubbing
20150719_121319.jpg

Hell everyone I'm back after a while of owning these coil overs and I'm having another sound issue!!:(( well now it's coming from the front and it started around July but when I'm driving and hitting small bumps or hitting any kind of bump I'm hearing a clicking noise from both front sides. They are the pillow ball D2 coilovers so I was think maybe they need more grease so what I'm hearing is like a rubber sound but it sounds more like a clicking? Anyone else have this problem with these coils?

Hell everyone I'm back after a while of owning these coil overs and I'm having another sound issue!!:(( well now it's coming from the front and it started around July but when I'm driving and hitting small bumps or hitting any kind of bump I'm hearing a clicking noise from both front sides. They are the pillow ball D2 coilovers so I was think maybe they need more grease so what I'm hearing is like a rubber sound but it sounds more like a clicking? Anyone else have this problem with these coils?
@Scornio have you checked the sway bar end links? Has anything come loose maybe?

So guys i haven't got a chance to see what the noise was yet but when I installed the front coils I lubed up the pillow balls but not like a lot at all. So I'm thinking that's what's making the noise cause like I said it's like a squeaking/clicking when I'm hitting bumps or even just any type of strut movement. Do the pillow balls make that kind of noise if not lubed correctly?

So guys i haven't got a chance to see what the noise was yet but when I installed the front coils I lubed up the pillow balls but not like a lot at all. So I'm thinking that's what's making the noise cause like I said it's like a squeaking/clicking when I'm hitting bumps or even just any type of strut movement. Do the pillow balls make that kind of noise if not lubed correctly?
I wouldn't think that the pillow balls would squeak when you hit a bump @Scornio especially since they are new and you did put a little lube on them. They are just like a ball joint. I had some spring bind noises from my front coils but that was from a REALLY tight pillow ball. I had it replaced to correct the noise. It was only making noise when I turned the steering wheel at low speeds.
You should check the end links that tie the sway bar into the front suspension and make sure they are tight and also make sure all of the bolts are tight on the front suspension.
Let us know what you find.

Did you check to make sure the top damper nut is tightened down properly? Our cars are a pain b/c the nut is sunken down in the strut mount. You need a pass through socket so you can hold the strut while tightening the nut.

Did you check to make sure the top damper nut is tightened down properly? Our cars are a pain b/c the nut is sunken down in the strut mount. You need a pass through socket so you can hold the strut while tightening the nut.
Is that the nut I insert the damper things into or is it the top 3 nuts? If it's the first one what should it be torqued at?

I wouldn't think that the pillow balls would squeak when you hit a bump @Scornio especially since they are new and you did put a little lube on them. They are just like a ball joint. I had some spring bind noises from my front coils but that was from a REALLY tight pillow ball. I had it replaced to correct the noise. It was only making noise when I turned the steering wheel at low speeds.
You should check the end links that tie the sway bar into the front suspension and make sure they are tight and also make sure all of the bolts are tight on the front suspension.
Let us know what you find.
Ok will do and do you know if that piece that the sway bar attaches to on the strut does that need to be tighten down to where it won't move left and right? I did tighten it down since I saw on the stock strut it won't move so I assumed that it also should not supposed to move

Is that the nut I insert the damper things into or is it the top 3 nuts? If it's the first one what should it be torqued at?
The three top nuts are for the strut mount. 40 ft-lb. The middle nut is the strut itself. Honda says 32 ft-lb but your coilover may be different. The hard part is hold the strut from spinning while you torque it down.

Ok will do and do you know if that piece that the sway bar attaches to on the strut does that need to be tighten down to where it won't move left and right? I did tighten it down since I saw on the stock strut it won't move so I assumed that it also should not supposed to move
The sway bar links have joints in the ends so they still twist even when the bolt is tight. They also have an allan head on the end of the bolt to hold it so it doesn't turn while you tighten the nut. Sometimes it turns, sometimes it doesn't. That's why people have noise from them. They don't get the nut tightened properly.

The sway bar links have joints in the ends so they still twist even when the bolt is tight. They also have an allan head on the end of the bolt to hold it so it doesn't turn while you tighten the nut. Sometimes it turns, sometimes it doesn't. That's why people have noise from them. They don't get the nut tightened properly.
Just check everything yesterday on the bottom side of things when I was doing an alignment with the new camber arms and everything was good! The springs were loose without any load so I put a little preload on them but other than that everything is good?! Idk what it is the next thing I'm going to do is loosen the top 3 bolts and put em back on again to torque spec and see what that does.

Just check everything yesterday on the bottom side of things when I was doing an alignment with the new camber arms and everything was good! The springs were loose without any load so I put a little preload on them but other than that everything is good?! Idk what it is the next thing I'm going to do is loosen the top 3 bolts and put em back on again to torque spec and see what that does.
There's not much else I can think of that would make a squeak or clicking noise other than maybe the end links are worn out?

There's not much else I can think of that would make a squeak or clicking noise other than maybe the end links are worn out?
Hey bro sry so late iv been gone for quiet a while and back in the game with building my car. So anyways still haven't gotten the problem resolved. The noise IS in fact coming from (where the top 3 bolts are, strut towers?) area. It's such a weird sounds it's so hard to describe. It sounds like the bolts are moving making a clicking sound but only when The strut is being compressed like hitting bumps, lowering back down from the lift etc. Well I retorqued all three bolts and still doing making the noise so it can't be them, but haven't tried what @dpetro1 suggested. I will do it sometime tomorrow maybe and chime in on what happens. I'm sure it has to be that otherwise I have no idea what it could be. ONE more question my rears have sank a little bit every since I installed them last Christmas. It used to be level with the front but now it's like 3/4" lower. Is it because the springs have settled in? And also y'all think since it dropped a little bit in the rear it could be pulling on the front struts causing them to make the mystery noise?

Back