Hondata Releases 2012 Honda Civic Si ECU Reflash!!

excellent stuff - glad to hear you're enjoying your latest mod!

I want this reflash but I can't go w/o a car for a few days for it..:(

But I guess I could do it while im on my honeymoon at the end of June but I want it NAOW!

If you love yourself and your car you should do this mod.

So, I sent it out next day air earl am delivery on Monday, got it back Wednesday night and hooked up.
Why is always easier taking something out then putting it back in? Lol Anyways...

Throttle response is definitely noticable and there is different tone to the engine, I wouldn't say louder but different for sure.
Rev hang is barely noticable and it seems smoother accelaration throughout the gears, there's not a hesitation on 2nd when gunning it, like I had noticed before. I think the range of the gears increased too because I specifcaly checked this before and after. At 35mph in 3rd I used to be at 4000 rpms, now it's at 3300.
Well those are the changes I have noticed, glad I did it for sure.

I am still on the fence. I would do it in a heartbeat, but there are 2 things holding me back.
  • The car is relatively new and there might be an update from Honda that would overwrite the re-flash
  • Given that Hondata has already come out with a reflash, FlashPro might be out soon (or so I would think, haven't had much experience with Hondata product timelines).
Anyone have any insights for either of those concerns?

Hondata released flashpro for the 8th generation on 05-08-2009. The car was available in the Fall of 2005 as a 2006 vehicle. Some of the first users with the SI had it in Nov/Dec of 2005. The reflash on the 8th was available in June of 2006. So, roughly 3yrs after the reflash was made available, they had the flashpro for sale.

8th car - first SI owners nov/dec 2005
8th hondata reflash - June 2006
8th hondata flashpro - May 2009
-----

thanks for the info on the previous gen civic.

That might have made up my mind. The rev-hang is just silly. Had a buddy in the car and he thought I was messing around so I had him look at my feet and he was quite surprised. Literally my only complaint with the car and this reflash removing that hang makes it quite appealing. Will have to wait until I can be without car a couple days first though.

He was worried Honda would issue a reflash to remove rev hang at some point.

ohhh ok, i doubt honda would do that, never did it to the 8th...still trying to figure how to go without my baby for a few days, after reading some ppl gettting their reflash later than expected...

Yeah, with previous gens of the civic there were ECU flashes (software updates is what the dealers would call them) that they would do when the car was into the dealer for any sort of work and an update was available. I realize that I could send the ECU back to hondata if this happens for $75 plus shipping (or maybe the dealer flash would fix the rev-hang or I could wait for flashpro to come out and just reflash myself). At this point it is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.

I mean I guess I would just specify to the dealer not to update the ECU. I know I will. I'm leasing and I have the extended warranty coverage, so that covers oil changes and a bunch of other crap if i need a tow, car rental, etc.
I'll just tell the service guy don't touch the ecu. I kind of justified it in my mind like this, is it worth $120 a year for the next 3 years for the extra performance. I think it is. I am leasing but I do plan on buying it when it's up.

Yeah, with previous gens of the civic there were ECU flashes (software updates is what the dealers would call them) that they would do when the car was into the dealer for any sort of work and an update was available. I realize that I could send the ECU back to hondata if this happens for $75 plus shipping (or maybe the dealer flash would fix the rev-hang or I could wait for flashpro to come out and just reflash myself). At this point it is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger.
Really?? I know my buddy has owned his 8th for a good while without any ecu updates from honda since he works at one. I know the hybrids get an update. this is new to me

Yeah, a buddy of mine has an 8th gen Si as well and said he has received 3 updates (he religiously brings his into the dealer for oil changes and they check at that time...same dealer I bought my 9th from). Anyone else have any insights/experiences?

ohhh i see, never had any updates from them in my 8th when i had it, but i guess you need to take it to the dealership then, I always did my own oil change. So i guess thats why Ive never gotten one.

Back