Locked key in trunk

Todd

I'm on leave away from my spare up in the forest at a cabin lol any way to get in car?

You can always risk sticking a coat hanger down the weather stripping pulling on the trunk release, unless you have it locked. Or hit the unlock with a hanger. Locksmith would be the way to go.

Last edited:
tripple A, or a locksmith... coat hanger?

tripple A, or a locksmith... coat hanger?
I don't recommend it but for a last resort. I have been in a bind before and had to do this. A locksmith could try to pry the top corner to get a tool in to unlock it.

Last edited:
Locksmiths are very efficient at lock outs, they just use a air bladder and a hand pump (like the ones used to measure your blood pressure) wedge it between the B window pillar and pry it just enough to use their poker to hit the unlock button.

But, yeah.... if you have to- bust a window. The small one may seem like the obvious choice but look pretty tricky to replace. I'm thinking maybe you can spear the windshield and maybe get creative with your insurance company. :P

But AAA sure doesn't hurt.

Where did you stick the hanger(between what?)........... and did anything get damaged ?

If you take the end of the coat hanger and put a loop in the end, you dont hurt the weather strip. Done this on many cars. Got tired of doing this for family and friends and bought a sloim jim set at a truck stop. Best $20 spent on tools. Needed it the next day for a supervisor at work. I would seriously look at getting 1 of those hide a key boxes and mount it on the car. Don't trust the magnet, but maybe use a screw and secure it someplace under the car. Get a copy made just to open the door. Just about any locksmith who is any good that is, should be able to accomplish this for a few bucks.

If you take the end of the coat hanger and put a loop in the end, you dont hurt the weather strip. Done this on many cars. Got tired of doing this for family and friends and bought a sloim jim set at a truck stop. Best $20 spent on tools. Needed it the next day for a supervisor at work. I would seriously look at getting 1 of those hide a key boxes and mount it on the car. Don't trust the magnet, but maybe use a screw and secure it someplace under the car. Get a copy made just to open the door. Just about any locksmith who is any good that is, should be able to accomplish this for a few bucks.
Do you put it between the door and door frame?

Yes between the door, nothing was damaged
Cool, I use to open other peeps cars all the time, but that's been about 20 + years ago before they took the knob off the top of the push/pull lock near the window.

Yep, between the frame and the door. It used to be easier back before they started to use framed door glass. You could just pull back on the glass and almost stick an arm in at times. I have had to reach all the way across the car before to grab the door handle. These newer cars are getting better and better at keeping people from using a slim jim to get in.

If I find I need to set the key down, I'll put it on the top of my tyre.

They make these cool little things that you can put a key in and don't lose them. There called pockets. Very handy. Just came out about 400-500 years ago. They're pretty handy and all. I use mine daily. If you would like a link on where to buy a set, let me know and I'll post it. :giggle:

Back