Looking at buying a '12, few questions

Lightningdan

Hey guys and girls,

I am looking into buying a 4dr civic si, my neighbor bought a '12 si, 4 dr, with navi, he gets excellent gas mileage, has enough power to scoot around town, and he loves it, it started to grow on me and I started searching

I found a few '12's in the 23k price range, but I just now found one locally (well Boston lol) with navi and in the color I want for 23,450. I think it has 14miles on it, is that roughly a good price?

The real questions I was curious is there anything to be aware of when purchasing one? Is there any defects? I have been a ford man all my life and u always have to wait a few models before they fix everything

I saw threads on squeaky clutch peddles, but that seems like a easy fix, just wondering if there was engine problems, or tranny issues, I also saw the 3rd gear issues with past models

Any advice is greatly appreciated guys, the car will be pretty much stock, might throw a intake and filter on but if I find out that voids warranty that won't happen, just trying to get a very reliable, high gas mileage car

Thanks for help! Take care

Danny

P.s. I posted this on the 8th civic forum, thinking the '12 is a 8th generation... Wow I got a lot to learn

Yikes @ posting it on 8th civic forum. I bet they gave you an earful :hiding:

It's okay, we'll help you out! I'm sure plenty will have a lot to say in this thread, and I'll let them do that :)

Welcome to the forum!

average price paid in zip 02101/boston was $23,8XX for the SI sedan w/navi.

8th gen had a 3rd gear issue, but that was essentially resolved later in the generation. I've yet to see a single complaint over the trans on the 9th gen. Complaints - a few have had issues with oil use, ...a few have mentioned a click noise depressing the clutch, and rev hang....

there has been a software update for the rev hang - (yet it's not a public update)
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/2012-civic-si-rev-hang-software-update.4857/

oil use - seems to be hit/miss, and it seems like it stops after X amount of miles.
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/does-your-si-burn-oil.4694/

the engine is not new, as it's been in the TSX, so you can also view tsx forums for complaints.

Honestly, I think people are pretty happy with their vehicles as a whole. I'll let others chime in on their feelings.

Hey! Thank you all for the warm welcomes! After I posted this thread I was hanging out in the mechanical section and found that oil consumption thread, holy cow I'm nervous now... :(

I am kinda thinking the way I was when a family member got cancer, you always seem to hear more of the negatives with cancer, and the cancer surivivers and their positive stories are forgotten... I hope there are allot more SI's out there without oil consumption issues...

Is 2012 the first 9th gen? I saw that 09 Si's have seemed to have the oil issues too, I was wondering If there was a special year to get?

This oil issue really has me concerned now, I was going to go tomorrow to Boston and test drive this thing, man oh man...

Have you guys experienced oil issues? Have u noticed it going away after the engine increased in mileage?

Like I said I come from a long line of fords, and if the ford motor doesn't leak there is something wrong with it! Lol I am buying this car for my girlfriend, so I don't have to worry about her going back and forth to work, she needs something reliable, this past month has been a living nightmare with the vehicle she has now... I don't want to buy a brand new car and have to fight with the dealership...

:(

I know I can answer one thing....
The 8th generation civic is 2006-2011
The 9th generation civic started at 2012
:)

I know I can answer one thing....
The 8th generation civic is 2006-2011
The 9th generation civic started at 2012
:)

Ah that sure clears things up! I'm afraid to go back to 8thcivic and see what they are saying about me! LOL

I'm going to ask my neighbor tomorrow if he has experienced any oil loss, I doubt it because he would have told me or brought it up, he swears by it, says its the best car he's ever bought

Haha don't worry, they likely wouldn't be able to help you much anyways :) Nothing says you have to go back there :giggle:

I think a lot of people are happy with theirs...even those that previously had the 8th and then got a 9th.

Haha don't worry, they likely wouldn't be able to help you much anyways :) Nothing says you have to go back there :giggle:

I think a lot of people are happy with theirs...even those that previously had the 8th and then got a 9th.

Yeah, I thought the hunt for a car was over, we were looking at mini coopers, then, Subaru wrx (if I'm paying the STI model lol) Toyota Avalon ( my least favorite) and now the civic si, which we both were sold on, especially after talking to my friend/neighbor...

My problem is I am a paranoid sob, I research absolutely everything, I google absolutely everything... And now with this one little issue, it's going to bother me lol...

Having a pretty good back ground in mechanics ( nothing foreign, and mostly fords) I wonder if the break in process will eliminate the oil burning issues... Replacing the rings should solve the issue from day one though...

I got allot more reading to do! Lol I read about the rev hang, which isn't too scarey for me, my sister had a 04 Saturn which had shifting issues which was solved by a new flash of the EEC, so I'm not too worried about that, and the squeaky clutch doesn't bother me either, simple fix, just this damn oil thread... We will see what happens, I wonder if the dealership would let me put on 1000 miles lol...

While I was at the local dealership hunting for a SI ( found one beat to hell) we looked at the brand new accords... I wonder if they are expeirencing the same issues, and what kind of mileage owners are seeing with them... They just aren't as sporty as the SI

I don't think anyone is going to find a perfect car...one without any possible flaws or issues. At least with this you would know what to look out for and with your experience it should be easy for you to maintain it and keep an eye on things. I'm sure you'd really love it.

I was brought up with fords :hiding:

I don't think anyone is going to find a perfect car...one without any possible flaws or issues. At least with this you would know what to look out for and with your experience it should be easy for you to maintain it and keep an eye on things. I'm sure you'd really love it.

I was brought up with fords :hiding:

Absolutely correct, nothing is perfect or 100% reliable... Well besides apple products ;) but I totally get what ur saying, adding 1/2 of oil every 1000 miles isn't bad... I'll run it by the boss in the morning and see what she thinks, again thanks for the advice and welcome! I'm pretty sure I will be around hunting you with more questions! Lol have a good one!

Awesome! Be sure to let us know how it goes either way :D If you end up getting one make sure to post some pics :)
We're all here to learn and help each other out!

If it makes you feel better, the users in the oil consumption thread were the only users to respond... after over a thousand owners were sent an email notice regarding the issue. The notice was also a notification at the top of the site for a while to see if we could get more feedback. Only 1 person has had work done on his car. Those who were having oil loss initially, seem to have had it resolved after honda checked it out. No one has even posted in that thread for a few weeks, if that makes you feel better.

Just a thought..... But have you considered a Civic ex or exL , they aren't having oil issues or anything else that I've read about.... Burns reg fuel and get's between 30/39 mpg ? Of course I own one !

I know it's like trying to talk a person into getting a regular ford instead of a Mustang.

Good thinking Monk... I have the 2012 EX Coupe also...regular gas...no problems at all, plus I don't have to shift gears.

I love my '12 SI. I have no oil problems. I really do love this car and have no complaints other than the paint chips fairly easy

If it makes you feel better, the users in the oil consumption thread were the only users to respond... after over a thousand owners were sent an email notice regarding the issue. The notice was also a notification at the top of the site for a while to see if we could get more feedback. Only 1 person has had work done on his car. Those who were having oil loss initially, seem to have had it resolved after honda checked it out. No one has even posted in that thread for a few weeks, if that makes you feel better.

I was talking to my dad today about this, and he said the same thing " you know how many of those cars are on the road?! " my neighbor hasn't come home yet, I seriously doubt he's having any issues or he would have told me, we were going to go check that car out tonight but I am far to tired to drive lol watch us loss it because of my lazy day

I'm still keeping my mind clear and still want to check the car out

Back