Love my civic cvt

My honda was the first car i ever bought that had 23 miles on it. I was like 23??!?!?!? They had to drive it from another dealer. I thought about it and didn't mind. The way i see it, it was't someone racing or beating up the car, its miles put on to get it to my destination. You will like the honda. Yes Mazda looks good. I looked at that car as well. Keeping the car will cost less on a honda, and the reliability is there. I enjoy my car EVERY day. Just washed my car yesterday, DANG it looks good! LOVE it!

All right guys! Thanks for everyone's reply. Basically I test drove the mazda 3. The salesman was talking lot of bad things about Honda and everything he said was BS. Even the Mazda3 is more fun to drive, I just can't accept the RPM gauge is so tiny, the wheel is very ugly and the iGT model doesn't come with fog light. Anyways, I finally purchased the 2014 civic EX-L without navigation. yeah the car came with 160 miles on it, but I really like the look and bought it. Matsweeper is right! This car is more like a small luxury civic with good backup camera, bluetooth and leather seat. Speaking about the leather seat, I have to say that the seat really give me a back pain seriously. After driving the car back home from the dealership with 70 miles, my back was in pain. Is it the leather is just too hard like a rock? Well, the car has been bought, so I have to find a way to like it. Now, I need tinting the windows and waiting to purchase the mug guard and the side mounting. MPG is about 37 freeway with econ mode all the way. City MPG will probably drop down to 30, but I hope after break-in will improve.

I will be taking this car for a road trip to Los Angeles (finally i can keep my phone fully charge for a long trip). We will see how it goes! Thanks again for you all sharing so valuable feedback! I really can't believe i am going with a CVT or an auto transmission than a stick. Better MPG and reliability are a must in nowadays. I think the Si is nice, but I would have to pay more (dealership doesn't sell them below invoice) and longer time to wait. Also, the EX-L looks much more mature too!

Congrats on your purchase!!!!

As for the seats, funny you mention that, my back was a little stressed when i first purchased the car as well. Then again it felt like that when i purchased my coupe as well. I adjusted the seat a bit and now i feel NO back pain at all. Seating the seat in a comfortable position really did the trick for me while still maintaing safety position.

As for the mpg, my mpg DEF got better once I broke the car in. Litteraly i started noticing around 6,000 miles. Same driving habits and I used to get 7 full days of gas, now I get 8-9 days of gas. I guess I should me sure it by miles but that's how i measure it.

Congrats again, and looking forward to seeing some pics.

I concur on the seats. I used to own an 8th gen LX and a 9th gen EX, and the seats in both of those cars weren't bolstered for my body-type lol. I also own(ed) two 9th gen Si's. I don't have the same problem with the Si seats...Odd

The Si seat is cloth whereas EX-L is leather - both seats have different material, so they can't compare between them. I am still feeling back pain with the seat, not sure what I can do about it or might just need to get used to it.

Are you sitting with your butt against the rear back rest, or are you slouched? I don't see how it could hurt if you're seating up straight(even with the back rest tilted back).
Does it hurt the centre(back bone) of your back, or up and down the outside edges of your back? If it's the out side edges, then your backs to wide for the seat.

The Si seat is cloth whereas EX-L is leather - both seats have different material, so they can't compare between them. I am still feeling back pain with the seat, not sure what I can do about it or might just need to get used to it.

I'm not, I'm comparing the Si to the EX. That also has cloth seats. They're different between the two, though. They're bolstered differently or something. I test drove an EX-L, and it was very similar to the EX in the way it was bolstered. Just really difficult to get a comfortable position. I'm 5'8", 145 lbs.

Also, I couldn't get used to it! I had an 8th gen LX that I put about 30K on in 6 months for a prior job. I had pain from mile 1 to 36K when I traded it in.

After two weeks of ownership, the seat doesn't seem to give me back pain anymore. That is strange.

CVT - I am getting used to it anyways since I am driving slow and babying the car.

Got my 1st scratch by a rock on my hood in freeway with 600 miles now. I am debating if I should spend $600-700 on clear bra.

I will post pictures once I get some time.

I took them off. Only my painted splash guards have them. The only problem with Paint Defender (if applied perfectly) is that it gives a bad reaction to certain car soaps. So it will permanently stay opaque and faded after a car wash. I had to remove mine bc I went to a 'Cars And Coffee' car meet and didn't want my car not looking shiny.

Did you ever try applying a spray wax or polish to it?

The texture was too rough for waxing or polishing. It was weird.

Just purchased a 2014 Civic EX-L Navi, White Orchid Pearl. I traded in my 2012 Accord EX-L V6, same color. My wife had had three wrecks in the Accord, two not her fault, one carelessness. I had had a 2006 Civic EX which I traded in for the Accord. The Accord was really nice but I just missed my Civic. Especially the fuel economy. also, after having small cars for so long, the Accord felt HUGE. Anyway, have 5 days in the Civic and it is great. About everything I wished my 8th gen had is in this car!. Other than Homelink, power pass. seat and memory drvr seat, I have everything the Accord had. I was dubious about CVT but have had no issues with it. I doubt I will try The Tail of the Dragon in this car though. Actually, I got on that road unknowingly last month in the Accord. when I realized what I had gotten into, The kid in me took hold. I was pushing my sedan as hard as I dare, trying to keep up with SI's and a couple S2000's. My wife almost threw up! Of course, I pulled over often so as not to get in the way of those behind me. I got a laugh and a thumbs up from one photographer who hollered "way to go grandpa!" ( I'm 65 but young at heart.)
I will probably be conservative in my mods, I've put on the rear bumper film and the door film,(the dealer couldn't do it, ruined one so I told him just get me the kits and i'll install myself, I've done it before. Also, It may not be kosher but I am going to put on the red " R-Type" emblems front and back just because I think the red would look good on the white pearl. After all, I'm an old goat and I can always attribute my lack of "cool" to senility... :) I hope this first post was not too boring.

@Matsweeper Glad you like the car! How has the no volume knob factor been working out for ya?
At first it was a bit annoying because I wanted to be able to drop the volume fast when I want. Now, i'm glad because i really never need to silence the sound in a rush, or at least nothing the wheel button can't handle.

When there is time that I need silence though, the power button is well within reach and I press that. All in all, i would have to say i have gotten used to it. I don't miss it, however when i'm in my wifes 2013 civic, it's like a added feature that my car doesn't have.

Glad to hear you have got used to it. I'm thinking of purchasing an EX and am stuck between the Modern Steel Metallic like you have or the Pearl Black. Both are sharp. Do you ever see a hint of light purple in the sun with your color? I've read some stuff about that.

@Matsweeper

Last edited:
Glad to hear you have got used to it. I'm thinking of purchasing an EX and am stuck between the Modern Steel Metallic like you have or the Pearl Black. Both are sharp. Do you ever see a hint of light purple in the sun with your color? I've read some stuff about that.

I have a '14 EX and MSM. I don't see any purple after a complete detail (Wash + Clay +Wax). But when its dirty from tree pollen or dust it looks more brown.

Hope this helps.

Back