Official Computer Talk Thread

@webby

XMP setting was disabled. Enabled it with "Profile 1"... So we shall see. Maybe due to it being disabled the RAM wasn't getting enough voltage? :confused:

Like running memtest disabled it, or you've never had it enabled to begin with? With it disabled, it says it'll default to the manufacturers specs. Enabling it is essentially like overclocking the ram.

I guess I never enabled it. I personally do not have any experience with XMP. My other setup never had it/never used it...

meh. I have a USB controller on the fritz on my desktop. Unfortunately, it's the USB 3.0 controller.

@Michal006

Is your MOBO up to date? Could be your video card. I remember having random blue screen with my old AMD card.

It is not up to date. Currently has version 2501 (2801 is the latest). I am planning on updating it.

Video card was working fine in my old setup... EVGA 4GB GTX 970 FTW - Never had any BSOD with it.. :/

@bootyluvr Got my CPU back mid-day yesterday. Hard drive was the issue.

Still dealing with issues of having a new hard drive and trying to get all my system setting back in order to efficiently do my job.

BTW.....this is what im working on....

upload_2016-1-8_14-29-59.png

I'm thinking about building a gaming pc with my tax return. I just wondered if anyone on here could point me in the right direction to get started as i have never built one. Thanks in advance for any help.

@bootyluvr I'm looking at the Logitech g633 headphones. Any opinions?
I believe that is a new model since I'm not familiar with it. I I've my g35 so if it's the g35 replacement? then go for it but I have not heard any review yet tho. Sorry
I'm thinking about building a gaming pc with my tax return. I just wondered if anyone on here could point me in the right direction to get started as i have never built one. Thanks in advance for any help.
PCPartPicker.

What games? What is the budget? Need monitor? Size monitor?

Lots of variables to consider.

If you want decent PC you need to have $2k budget minimum to play recent games on high settings. Best time to buy pc parts is during labor day, 4th July and Thanksgiving/Christmas season.

I don't really need any peripherals i am only looking to build a tower. I'm planning on hooking it up to 55" in my living room. I kinda wanted to stay around $1000for now and upgrade later.

I don't really need any peripherals i am only looking to build a tower. I'm planning on hooking it up to 55" in my living room. I kinda wanted to stay around $1000for now and upgrade later.
The video card and processor price will basically determine your build. There are gaming video cards can push your budget alone.

What games you play will somewhat dictate what specs you need for the build.

I know others here may not agree but if you want to stay at or below 1k look into AMD processors. Not quite as good as Intel but half the price. My pc that I built was just shy of 1k and I used and AMD black series processor. Also I suggest water cooling. By far the best 60 bucks I've spent on my pc build.

I want to try water cooling, but this will probably happen in the next PC build

I want to try water cooling, but this will probably happen in the next PC build
It's really not hard. The corsair kits come pre assembled and filled. All you have to do is attach it to the cpu and hook up the fan. They basically bolt right in. 30min tops for install.

I found this website
http://pcbuildsonabudget.com/best-gaming-pc-build-for-under-1000-dollars
I just not sure if that setup will work for what i want. Right now i have a xbox 360. Mostly i play racing games and rpgs like Fallout and Skyrim (not real big into the mmorpgs). the way i figure it, if i build a gaming pc now for $1000, upgrade it in a couple years, it will be comparable with whatever system is out then, and i will have spent less plus be able to use the internet and stream movies without needing to pay for an xboxlive membership.

Not sure how everyone else feels about seagate hard drives, but I've personally had 2 tank on me and a few from various friends I know.

Back