Official Computer Talk Thread

Nvidia announced the launch of its latest super high-end graphics card, introducing the new Nvidia Titan Xp.

The Titan Xp, which Nvidia calls the world's post powerful graphics card, features 12GB of GDDR5X memory running at 11.4 Gb/s, 3,840 CUDA cores running at 1.6GHz, and 12 TFLOPS of processing power.

1zbfk4X.jpg

Priced at $1,200, this year's Titan card is unique because for the first time, Nvidia is making it available to Mac users with new Pascal beta drivers (also available for the entire 10-series lineup) that are set to be released during the month of April.

I only have two seagates currently (I believe). Maxtor back in the day was the one brand I had endless failures and warranty replacements fail in like 1-3yrs. I think I have 3 WD drives still going ok.

I have surprisingly never had a hard drive crap out on me. I'm still using the seagate from my first pc build from over 10 years ago.

You just caused yourself a drive by saying that! I bet I've had over 8 die between ide, scsi, and sata drives. No experiences with ssd failure. Yet

Well, after a few discussions on my current situation with computer, it seems I'm just going to embark on a new build. Motherboard has a few ports giving up the ghost, the case power button is flaky, RAM is going out, etc.

Needs:
* Motherboard
* RAM
* Case
* Monitor(s)

Let's start the specification process and then acquisition. Good thing I have some extra money coming my way in May...
* Motherboard
* CPU
* Case
* RAM
* Montior(s)
* Block water cooler (because I broke the clip on my H100i)

What's coming over from the last build:
* Blu-Ray burner
* Card reader
* 850 W power supply
* GeForce 1080 FTW video card
* 240 + 500 GB SSD
* 2x1 TB 7200 rpm HDD
* 3x120 mm ball bearing case fans

Decisions:

Micro ATX form factor.
Corsair Carbide SPEC-M2 case (once it's available again). Lots of fan configuration options on both and retain 1-5.25 inch optical drive.
Internal 5.25" multimedia card bay being retired. Just get a $15 external option and plug into a USB slot.
Z270 chipset.

Kaby Lake (7xxx) and Skylake (6xxx) are comparable in price - go with the newer generation. i5 is cheaper but loses the multi-thread capability of i7, which I probably never used on my home PC. i5-7600k and i5-7600 are same price, $120 cheaper than i7-7700k. Looks like LEAN i5-7600k.

^ That actually would be quite the budget build. $700. Biggie is no power supply and no video card. The video card is the most expensive thing these days.

^ That actually would be quite the budget build. $700. Biggie is no power supply and no video card. The video card is the most expensive thing these days.
Yeah but you also havent mentioned ram or monitors yet. That will drive you price up depending on your choices.

Decisions:

Micro ATX form factor.
Corsair Carbide SPEC-M2 case (once it's available again). Lots of fan configuration options on both and retain 1-5.25 inch optical drive.
Internal 5.25" multimedia card bay being retired. Just get a $15 external option and plug into a USB slot.
Z270 chipset.

Kaby Lake (7xxx) and Skylake (6xxx) are comparable in price - go with the newer generation. i5 is cheaper but loses the multi-thread capability of i7, which I probably never used on my home PC. i5-7600k and i5-7600 are same price, $120 cheaper than i7-7700k. Looks like LEAN i5-7600k.

I just looked up the Corsair Carbide SPEC-M2 case and it looks good. Nothing too fancy. :thumbsup:

Personally I could care less about an optical drive. I have one in my current build (installed Win7 from a DVD) but in my next build I won't have one. I seriously have NOT used the optical drive since I installed Win7 over a year ago on the machine... :eek:

+1 to external USB card reader. Probably less than $15 now.

I'd go with the newer i5's personally.

Yeah but you also havent mentioned ram or monitors yet. That will drive you price up depending on your choices.

I'll state it's a $700 upgrade. Still an expensive build if you consider stuff that's carrying over. Probably $2000 worth of carryover items.

New
-------
Intel i5-7600k CPU - $230
Corsair SPEC-M2 case - $55
mATX Mobo (ASRock Pro4) - $115
RAM (DDR4-2400 @ 16 GB) - $150
Corsair H100i V2 - $120
--------------
Total $670 + tax

Carryover
------------
2x - 2.5" SSD (240 and 500 GB)
2x - 3.5" HDD (WD Black Caviar 1 TB each)
850 Watt ATX Power Supply
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Optical Drive
3x - 120mm case fans
2x - 24" monitors
Mechanical keyboard with brown Cherry MX switches
Mouse

I just looked up the Corsair Carbide SPEC-M2 case and it looks good. Nothing too fancy. :thumbsup:

Personally I could care less about an optical drive. I have one in my current build (installed Win7 from a DVD) but in my next build I won't have one. I seriously have NOT used the optical drive since I installed Win7 over a year ago on the machine... :eek:

+1 to external USB card reader. Probably less than $15 now.

I'd go with the newer i5's personally.

I do like some of the cube cases too, like what @Br3TT grabbed. I do occasionally use the optical drive but it's a rarity. Maybe just pick up an external USB one.

Back