bootyluvr

Supporting Member
VIP Member
Toys For Tots
Baltimore, MD
Vehicle Model
2015 Honda Accord EX-L V6
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to make a thread for people on here to give reviews/opinions on current and/or previous cell phones they own or owned.

Multiple votes are allowed for those that have a separate work phone or with family members that have different types.

Thanks

-Jeff

This is NOT a thread for an Android/Apple debate!!! :mad:

The reason why I made this thread is because I currently have a Motorola Droid (OG aKa Droid 1) and I have owned it since late 2009 (didn't get it when it first came out but I bought it from a buddy out of contract since I was stuck with a Blackberry *dumb decision* for 2 yrs starting May 2009) and I was looking at the Droid Bionic.

I went to the Verizon Wireless store and messed with it but it was slow/laggy in my opinion. I know it's a demo phone and everyone and their brother has messed with it but I wasn't impressed. I know I can't just have that one experience with it and be done with it but I wanted to see if others have it on here. (You can say what other phones you have if you don't have the Bionic).

My current Droid OG is rooted with Cynaogen ROM and it hasn't given me problems (here and there small ones but nothing major)

HTC Hero (Sprint)

It's blah...but it does what I need - tethering (PDAnet) and after rooting it does wireless tether for the ipad

it's pretty laggy though and unpredictable at times. Sometimes when I try to txt it doesn't type... very frustrating...

iPhone 3G (AT&T): great. No complaints about the phone other than I couldn't replace the battery on the fly. Couldn't stand AT&T's spotty service.

Motorola Droid 1 (Verizon) great phone. No complaints except the buttons are too small on teh slide out keyboard.

Motorola DroidX (Verizon) the first 6 months were great then after Gingerbread, all hell broke loose. I went through 3 phones in 3 weeks and 2 of those were replacements. This phone has camera issues and tends to hang up on apps.

HTC Thunderbolt (Verizon) awarded to me from Verizon after 2 replacement DroidX's stopped working in a week. The phone was a stand up performer the problem was power cycling. I had it one month before I threatened to end my contract with Verizon.

Samsung Charge (Verizon) what can I say. It works and has only power cycled 2 times on me. I occasionally have to restart it to clean out the temp files. The screen is great. Overall the phone feels cheap and the app presentation is horrible. It is not user friendly and just trying to make a phone call makes me want to blow the thing up because there are too many steps involved. But hey this phone actually works.

Overall, if the Thunderbolt doesn't have power cycle issues anymore, I wish I could have one back. It was faster than the Samsung and the camera was awesome.

Samsung Gravity TXT (T-Mibile, not a smart phone)
Samsung%20Gravity%20TXT%20T379.jpg

Since my school has wi-fi in the entire campus and I'm mostly there every day of the work week, I don't need a data plan so I chose this phone. I use my ipod touch for internet to check email and stuff. The Gravity TXT is a great slider phone for text-happy individuals with unlimited texting plans, especially for teenagers. I love the feel on the QWERTY keypad. The phone also has a 2-megapixel camera with a panoramic shot which is pretty fun to use. The only downside is that the d-pad is hard to get used to.

This is my phone. Seriously. UTStarcom 8905. It's awesome. It makes calls, has text, no camera so no pics, alarm clock, calendar, and best feature of all.... when no one else has service I can use my extendable antenna!!!! Also battery lasts like 2 weeks. No lag or app issues here. Paid $120 cash, didn't have to extend my contract and I have Verizon service. Im on an old plan that if I use my "upgrade" for a free new phone, of any sort, I have to re-sign for 2 years and bump onto a new more $$ plan.

UTStarcom_CDM_8905.jpg

The Motorola Droid 1 (current phone) was/is my 1st and only smartphone. I bought it used from a buddy out in California (he is an Android tester). Like I said above, I haven't had any major issues with it. I love the slide-out keyboard that I am so use to now it's going to suck using a touchscreen-only phone..

Before the Droid I had a Blackberry Tour 9650 (sucked) and a Blackberry Curve 8330 (before the Tour and it sucked even worse).
Then before the Crapberry's I had a LG ENV which I liked alot. It was great. No issues. Before the ENV was some basic phones that I don't even remember.

All of the above phones have been with Verizon. Before Verizon I was with Sprint... for the "Direct-Connect" back in the day when that was VERY popular.. :rotfl: It was probably 10 years ago that I left Sprint and went to Verizon and haven't looked back! :dance:

With the way the smartphones are coming out I don't know how long one should wait.. It's like every few months a new one is coming out... :confused:

This is my phone. Seriously. UTStarcom 8905. It's awesome. It makes calls, has text, no camera so no pics, alarm clock, calendar, and best feature of all.... when no one else has service I can use my extendable antenna!!!! Also battery lasts like 2 weeks. No lag or app issues here. Paid $120 cash, didn't have to extend my contract and I have Verizon service. Im on an old plan that if I use my "upgrade" for a free new phone, of any sort, I have to re-sign for 2 years and bump onto a new more $$ plan.

I think that's the phone my dad use to have until he upgraded to a new(er) one. He gets whatever "free" phone they have after 2 years or something like that.

Droid Bionic for about a week now. Loving it so far.

Once you get it setup(still need to change/add things) it is really easy to do stuff. Only issue I have is once it pops up out of the sleep mode it takes a second or so to "wake up" and some of the stupid bloatware that can't be removed unless you root it. Well, atleast thats what I know from the little research I have done.

I have mine to where I slide one screen to the left and I have my contacts there, you click on one of them and it gives you options to call, text, email, fecebook....all depends on what info you have in the contacts. So it is really easy to do the normal stuff.

Battery life is good now with a task killer and batt app. I usually charge it over night and unplug it at 7:00 am. I text here and there during the day, play games during my lunch hour and browse the net throughout the day. Few short phone calls and maybe some more games at night. By 11-12pm the batt is down to 20%. If I don't play games the batt will be at 60% at 11-12 pm.

The stock browser works good and pretty quick. The 9thcivic front page loads in a second or two. Only issue is I am not sure how to close the window that I was on when I closed the browser. Prob is a me issue since this is my first smart phone. My room mate, who has the OG Droid 1, mentioned that the browser is faster than his. Guess that is because of the 4g and the dual core?

I currently have the LG EnV Touch w/ Verizon, but I plan to drop Verizon when my 2yr plan is up on 12/5/11. Thinking about going with Virgin Mobile b/c we will save $40-$60 per month.

Looking at one of these:
- Motorola Triumph
- LG Optimus V
- Samsung Intercept

Droid Bionic for about a week now. Loving it so far.

Once you get it setup(still need to change/add things) it is really easy to do stuff. Only issue I have is once it pops up out of the sleep mode it takes a second or so to "wake up" and some of the stupid bloatware that can't be removed unless you root it. Well, atleast thats what I know from the little research I have done.

I have mine to where I slide one screen to the left and I have my contacts there, you click on one of them and it gives you options to call, text, email, fecebook....all depends on what info you have in the contacts. So it is really easy to do the normal stuff.

Battery life is good now with a task killer and batt app. I usually charge it over night and unplug it at 7:00 am. I text here and there during the day, play games during my lunch hour and browse the net throughout the day. Few short phone calls and maybe some more games at night. By 11-12pm the batt is down to 20%. If I don't play games the batt will be at 60% at 11-12 pm.

The stock browser works good and pretty quick. The 9thcivic front page loads in a second or two. Only issue is I am not sure how to close the window that I was on when I closed the browser. Prob is a me issue since this is my first smart phone. My room mate, who has the OG Droid 1, mentioned that the browser is faster than his. Guess that is because of the 4g and the dual core?

Thanks for the review/comments about it.

The battery life you said is GREAT IMO compared to my OG Droid 1.. I unplugged it around 6:30am/7am and I haven't used it to make call but some texting, facebook, email and it was down to about 40%/50% as of 2pm when I just plugged it in to the charger here at work. I'm sure it could last throughout most of the day without me charging it but after work I go to the gym and listen to Pandora while working out and I don't want it to die on me there. I do have a car charger that I could use if it did die on my way home.. But I'd rather be safe than sorry since I have the charger here at work. (I have a home charger, work charger, car charger and charger at my fiancee's house)

I need to find someone who has the Bionic or go to a different Verizon store to test it out.. The one I went to left a bad taste in my mouth since it was slow/laggy... I know it's a demo and others use it but when I press a button on the screen to go to an app it needs to go to it RIGHT away or pretty damn close.. Shouldn't take me 3 or 4 times to click it for it to open... :shrug:

My biggest concern of the Bionic (for me coming from the Droid OG) was the battery life and ALL touchscreen since my current Droid OG has the physical keyboard that I have become so dependent on.. :hiding:

I would most definitely root the Bionic once I got it since I'm not dealing with the bloatware that ALL phone manufacturers put on there now. My Droid OG has been rooted since I got it and I <3 it.

I can't justify spending $269.99 ($30 off for renewing my contract - whoopy freakin do) :unamused:

Some apps take a little longer than others but maybe 3 sec wait tops and that it is probably cause it is updating the info since I have most everything killed so it doesn't drain the battery. The weather bug app take the 3 secs or so since it finds my location, updates and feeds the info on the screen once I start the app. I am used to the touch screen typing so it is no biggie for me. It is nicer having larger keys and a bit of space between the keys.

If I get bored enough I can make a vid for ya, lol.

I got a $50 instant rebate for my two year upgrade thing and got a $100 gift card(is in the mail/processing) since I upgraded to a smartphone. So the cost was down some. :woot:

Being that I went from a basic phone: LG Cosmos Touch, I'd say any phone that is a smartphone overall is an improvement. The touchscreen sucked, the layout was funky, the keyboard is pretty useless with the shift and fn keys in an odd location. With my iPhone 4, I like how it is relatively easy to use and that the App store is large but I am getting tired of having to plug it in when it is not in use. You already know about all of that on my Facebook of course. I'm actually tired of hearing all the hype of the new iPhone 5. I also dislike how it doesn't automatically switch my cell data on or off when in use instead of having to go into settings then network then turning it off or on when I'm away from my Preferred WiFi locations. Maybe it's just me not used to a smartphone though. Since I'm new to this, I'll most likely continue this review more in depth later. I've got to find knowledgeable people who aren't complete Apple or Droid fanatics to help me figure things out.

P.S. I think all Droids have that 50 dollar rebate thing. I got shafted when I got my iPhone. No rebate except my exchanging the basic phone to smartphone like Santiago did. :giggle: I wonder if our phones are in the same location... right next to each other.

^ go into settings, wifi - and on "ask to join networks" - make that say "no", if you don't want wifi notifications coming up. If you have a wifi network setup in your thing, it'll connect to that when you're near that wifi. It won't try to connect to other locations unless you add them in. (I think that's what you're saying you want?) - for no popups asking to connect to another wifi?

Just have a basic Pantech phone with ATT, but since I get a 15% discount with ATT thru work I am seeing a Iphone in my future, been needing the internet more when I am not near my home

Just have a VERY VERY VERY basic Pantech phone with ATT, but since I get a 15% discount with ATT thru work I am seeing a Iphone in my future, been needing the internet more when I am not near my home

fix0red ;) :giggle: I'm messing with ya :bighug:

My Bionic has decided to turn into a brick this morning.

Plugged it in last night when going to bed. Unplugged it this morning, put it in my pocket and drove to work. Got to work and clicked the button to bring it up and it only showed 60% on the battery, weather bug had an issue updating and the icon showing it is plugged in was still on the screen. Phone felt a bit warm. I could do anything on the screen so I powered it down and now it won't turn on. I plugged it in for 30 mins and still nothing.

Going to the Verizon store right after work and going to try not to punch anyone, lol.

Back