R18 Vs/Or K24's, That is the question

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe FG3:ASM
I just finished referring to a post and after responding, thought, this may be an interesting discussion to start a full thread about. So the jest of it is, do ppl that buy/own one type of powered car think that the ones that aren't like theirs are less of a car to want to spend time and money on modifying.

The question(statement) was why bother putting a full money/time tuned exhaust and waste it on a R18(which I own, by the way, just a R18 not the one they were referring too).

This was my answer(copy/paste) brought over to this tread..........
"I can't possibly see why it's too much for an R18, it's making any engine/car preform better than the way it was manufactured, is how we've gone from having a 2 ton engine block under the hood of a car to what we now have with smaller engine blocks, short strokes, etc. How will we ever get more power with less wt. if we don't try to make the smaller engines preform better??????? "

The reason I thought to make this a thread was, I've noticed this trend since I 1st started getting into 4 bangers back when I was about 23 in the year of 1968, I had just arrived to be stationed in England and had a "bunch' of money to buy a car with(coming from a war zone my monthly pay was not being spent, since there was nothing to spend it on), anything from a brand new Morgan, TVR, Lotus Europa, Triumph TR6(or 250), and I could go on, but my choice was a Triumph Spitfire(motivated from when I was a kid and a man that lived up the street took me to VIR(racetrack) in his TR3 which looked a lot like the Spitfire I bought as opposed to the boxy TR6 which could eat me for lunch on the straights and possibly on a not too tight curvy road, but few could come close to winning on a very tight road or circuit. Anyway England for the next 3+ years of my life I'm driving on roads at the speeds that are not legal in the US(except divided straightened out Highways), And I'm on the roads with ppl that not only know how to drive they do it with a good attitude(like playing cat and mouse with someone on these back roads where you'd be lucky to take some of these turns at 30 mph, but the speed limit at that time was 70 unless going though a small Village which was posted 30, so as we play we finally come to a fork in the road to go our separate way, but instead of shooting each other the finger, we'd wave with a smile as to say thanks for the chase.

So back to the point, I've gotten to where I want the smaller, lighter, less powered cars because there are differences between them that having the smaller types is a more personal bond with me than a over powered car that I don't have to plan further ahead to get what I want out of it, with mine I have to use a lot of momentum and pre-thought to get to the point a power engine can get to by just stomping on the gas. Like drag racing vs a road course. I just happen to like the tighter turn type racing which the cars I've chosen to buy were good at being faster in than the bigger block cars can handle. Now days it's gotten to where they make lighter engines/cars that can compete and win against the less powered slightly lighter cars. Even so the thrill of having the less powered engine is still something I actually enjoy. Needless to say I've been listening to this for 45 years and it hasn't fazed me to want to get the bigger engine.

Now there are ppl that get smaller engines for their cars that just want something cheap and will get good gas mileage, but there are also ppl that are into them for different reasons, and it's something that is openly discussed among ppl of the same need. I got into a sports car club while in the UK, and they had TT, autocross, gymconers(spell check isn't fixing this word), get on tracks like Silverstone, Brands Hatch where they release two cars at a time to do 3 laps on a real race track, or we do the cone courses, and road rallies, etc. and when not in our cars we talk about what we like about our cars and how we can out do some other car that has a big block. BUT.... It never crossed my mind that I have best or worst, but the one I wanted.

I think some time ppl tend to not see the other side of the coin with someone that likes a car that's not the same as theirs........ Like ppl that wear their baseball caps with the bill on the front or back.

So if you have anything you'd like to add to this, on how you feel about your choices of selection of your cars, feel free to speak up.

I have an automatic LX because wifey can't drive a Manuel. :(
I still enjoy driving it though.....I probably drive it harder than most guys with SIs.

Last edited:
Well I happen to be a very happy r18 owner also. That said. I seriously looked into doing some performance stuff just for the fun of it. The engine is quite a modern engineering masterpiece. Lots of power, compared to older larger engines, with an incredible efficiency. I get around 40mpg consistently. I bought the car for mileage. So I had no expectation of high speed acceleration or racing. However!.....

The platform is identical to the Si chassis and with some suspension upgrades it handles amazingly well. To the point though, most people bash on the r18 owners who do mods simply because a lot of them customize the car in a way to make it appear to be the Si trim level when it is not or that they are looking for mods that will transform the car into something its not. It is very difficult to extract a large hp out of this particular engine as it was not built for it. Also the vtec on the r18 is completely the opposite of the K series and most honda vtec that people are familiar with.

Guys running 5k worth of turbo gear on their r18 were dyno'ing around 180-200 hp. Stock Si numbers. Certainly people have gone above and beyond that recently proving the performance of this particular platform to be there, albeit much harder and costlier to reach. The Jackson Racing supercharger with intercooler avilable in a race package for manual r18's adds enough power to give a lightly modded Si quite a run. Low to mid 200hp range.

Again, turbo kit for 5k to hit stock Si numbers? If you are looking for that type of performance or want a car hitting 300-400whp, you would be better off trading the DX/LX/EX for an Si.

This car is very popular with a younger crowd and sometimes for them to help talk to each other about the shortcomings or limitations of the different trim levels doesn't come off nicely. "Shoulda bought an Si." Commonly heard and said.

Besides that... I ask you..... what is more fun to drive? A car where 100mph feels like 50? Or one where 50 feels like 100?
How fast does it feel when you drive a go-cart that hits 15mph tops? Feels fast and is wicked fun isnt' it?

(apologies to jrotax101 who drives real carts that are really fast.)

(Monk I changed the title to K24 since I think that's what you meant)

Last edited:
Anyone modding an R18 does so because that's their car and that's what they want to do. Some might say something like "if you're gonna spend that money on an R18, you could've gotten the K24" but that's their opinion and they made their choice, as long as everyone is happy with what they have, which most are.

Not many people with R18s spending big bucks on their engines that I know of. Mine is all show no go.....but still a super fun car to drive.

Last edited:
I went to the K24 because it was quick enough to enjoy. I was looking at more expensive and more powerful cars, but a 30 mpg car with enough power to have fun was what I wanted. I'm not going to sink thousands into the motor like some folks, otherwise I would have gone with the WRX, MS3, or jumped into a V6 or V8 car. But the Si was fun. Why not the R18? I drove a manual and an auto R18 Civic too. But, it wasn't for me. Do I fault people for it? No. My girlfriend was almost into a dyno blue coupe before I bought my Si. It wasn't for me, but suited her well.

Well I happen to be a very happy r18 owner also. That said. I seriously looked into doing some performance stuff just for the fun of it. The engine is quite a modern engineering masterpiece. Lots of power, compared to older larger engines, with an incredible efficiency. I get around 40mpg consistently. I bought the car for mileage. So I had no expectation of high speed acceleration or racing. However!.....

The platform is identical to the Si chassis and with some suspension upgrades it handles amazingly well. To the point though, most people bash on the r18 owners who do mods simply because a lot of them customize the car in a way to make it appear to be the Si trim level when it is not or that they are looking for mods that will transform the car into something its not. It is very difficult to extract a large hp out of this particular engine as it was not built for it. Also the vtec on the r18 is completely the opposite of the K series and most honda vtec that people are familiar with.

Guys running 5k worth of turbo gear on their r18 were dynoing around 180-200 hp. Stock Si numbers. Certainly people have gone above and beyond that recently proving the performance of this particular platform to be there, albeit much harder and costlier to reach. The Jackson Racing supercharger with intercooler available in a race package for manual r18's adds enough power to give a lightly modded Si quite a run. Low to mid 200hp range.

Again, turbo kit for 5k to hit stock Si numbers? If you are looking for that type of performance or want a car hitting 300-400whp, you would be better off trading the DX/LX/EX for an Si.

This car is very popular with a younger crowd and sometimes for them to help talk to each other about the shortcomings or limitations of the different trim levels doesn't come off nicely. "Shoulda bought an Si." Commonly heard and said.

Besides that... I ask you..... what is more fun to drive? A car where 100mph feels like 50? Or one where 50 feels like 100?
How fast does it feel when you drive a go-cart that hits 15mph tops? Feels fast and is wicked fun isn't' it?

(apologies to jrotax101 who drives real carts that are really fast.)

(Monk I changed the title to K24 since I think that's what you meant)
Yeh... thx for changing it..... nice post.
In the mc world I've had HD riders that quoted "the only ppl that ride are pll that ride HD's and ppl that want to ride HD"..... And I asked this guy "why don't they just by a HD then"(leading him in) .... and he said because they don't want/can't afford one.......... So I said well that doesn't explain why I bought a BMW that cast more than a lot of HD's ............ So I made a choice to by something other than a HD and money wasn't an issue....... No answer ....... That's the kind of mentality some ppl have to deal with........ No problem with me and HD's I just like sport bikes. I think peeps need to remember some of the things they bad mouth are about the same cars that members here own.. That's something that takes control.... I've answered some post and re-read them before I post and just delete it, because it could be taken the wrong way, and at 18 to 26,000 dollars some peeps feel hurt.

I went to the K24 because it was quick enough to enjoy. I was looking at more expensive and more powerful cars, but a 30 mpg car with enough power to have fun was what I wanted. I'm not going to sink thousands into the motor like some folks, otherwise I would have gone with the WRX, MS3, or jumped into a V6 or V8 car. But the Si was fun. Why not the R18? I drove a manual and an auto R18 Civic too. But, it wasn't for me. Do I fault people for it? No. My girlfriend was almost into a dyno blue coupe before I bought my Si. It wasn't for me, but suited her well.
I had a 914 Porsche(1.6 or 8) and later a Mustang King Cobra II (5.0), and I liked both but on the back roads of WV the 914 was my fav.

Im sure everyone has their reasons to buy K24 vs R18. I find the most I've come across is

1) K24 doesnt have an auto
- They cant drive manual
- Significant other/family cant drive manual
- Just hate it during rush hour and you know youll go through rush hour alot
- Just being lazy to drive manual and want the luxury to relax while driving

2) R18 is cheaper
- Gain a bit more mileage per gallon saving on gas
- Average $3,000USD cheaper msrp
- Better chance of resale at higher price

3) K24 better chance of performance
- DOHC, which runs well with turbo
- NA at 200+hp
- HFP Package

My reason for getting a R18 is wanting a car that is less than 20k and have the luxury functionality of a luxury car thats 30k+ while looking clean and almost stock. Like most of you know, I started with the reverse camera that luxury cars have, then courtesy lights, projector headlights etc etc. So what ever your reason is, at the end of the day, know that you make yourself happy. As a forum, everyone should share their experiences and except others views as well knowing that we love our Hondas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning: the following post is very opinionated so try not to get offended. Nothing personal to anyone specifically.

Not to hate on the non-Si owners or anything, but I think it is pointless to mod an R18 for performance in almost any way. For the cost of the mods you will do, you could have had the Si and not done any mods at all and still had way more power. It's just common sense. The only reason to buy an R18 Civic over the Si is if you don't want to pay for performance, in which case you should also not want to pay to do performance mods since they are less bang for buck than just getting an Si instead.

If automatic is your reason for getting an R18 instead of the Si, then you shouldn't really care about power, because everyone knows Honda automatics are weak and have a lot more drivetrain power loss. Performance mods on an automatic are also pointless for this reason... the cheapest plans to mod an automatic are to forget about it, learn to drive stick, and decide to buy a manual instead (they are like $600 cheaper anyway).

Now if all you care about is appearance mods (which I can't understand only doing appearance... since most appearance mods make the car look fast... so if it's stock R18 and modded to look fast it's kind of poserish) or leaving it stock as a DD/don't care about power and don't want to pay for it, then the R18 is for you.

If I owned an R18 Civic the only thing I would do is suspension/wheels/tires. The engine is not a good base for performance mods given that the Si would have cost less than R18+mods-that-equal-Si-power

Last edited:
If I owned an R18 Civic the only thing I would do is suspension/wheels/tires. The engine is not a good base for performance mods given that the Si would have cost less than R18+mods-that-equal-Si-power

True. I bought mine for mileage, convenience, and Honda reliability. I have done the wheels/tires/suspension with some appearance mods and lighting.

If I had the manual then the jackson supercharger would be on the menu. 40mpg plus SI range HP.

My boy has an older hatchback and swapped a GSR 1.8l engine in to it and he took second place in his bracket this past honda day at atco raceway. That little engine has some balls all he did was short intake and header/exhaust with drag radials and he's running 14.7 while not catching any traction (he doesn't have launching his car down yet). So I'm not gonna hate on anybody's desire to run the 1.8 and try to mod it.

I however love my k24 and can't wait to do some more work to it!! To each there own!!!

i dont think it would be 40 mpg anymore after the S/C and have to use higher octane gas too

my boy has an r18 sedan and im not gonna lie i was surprised on the power it dished out ...it has some pull and only with a k&n drop in filter .

Last edited:
My boy has an older hatchback and swapped a GSR 1.8l engine in to it and he took second place in his bracket this past honda day at atco raceway. That little engine has some balls all he did was short intake and header/exhaust with drag radials and he's running 14.7 while not catching any traction (he doesn't have launching his car down yet). So I'm not gonna hate on anybody's desire to run the 1.8 and try to mod it.

I however love my k24 and can't wait to do some more work to it!! To each there own!!!
A GSR engine is far different from an R18. R18 is SOHC and make what, 140hp? GSR is like 170HP and has DOHC VTEC.

Comparing apples and oranges. Displacement isn't the defining factor.

Last edited:
This is a pretty good thread. If i could do it again, i would not have bought a new car in the first place. I always wanted to have a car so i could mod it, even if i didn't plan on tracking it. I have a 2012 r18 which is definitely the wrong option for modding, because all of the aftermarket support leans towards the Si, which makes sense. But my parents said my first car would have to be new since they didn't want me to have to deal with expensive issues of a used car. And due to straight cost of splitting a car 50/50 with my parents right after high school, the Si was out of the option. I would trade for an Si in a second if I could but for now ill just wait for aftermarket stuff to come out.

A GSR engine is far different from an R18. R18 is SOHC and make what, 140hp? GSR is like 170HP and has DOHC VTEC.

Comparing apples and oranges. Displacement isn't the defining factor.
yeah i know plenty of people that are running a GSR/B18c1 and blowin the doors off people that are stock turbo with light mods ...lol those engines can rev to the freakin sky and still want more lol

The Si is the better performing car in every way shape or form. With it being so closely priced to the r18, I just can't rationalize spending $5k on an r18 only to match the straight line performance of an Si, while still lacking everything else the Si comes with from the factory, and at the same time greatly diminishing the value of the car.

I would think that most people choose the r18 because of its fuel efficiency and overall cheaper cost than the Si, which makes perfect sense.

Back