R18 Vs/Or K24's, That is the question

^yeah, im seriously considering supercharging, as soon as the proper hardware/FlashPro is available. Ive read that article before and even though i think its about the 8th gen R18, it just proves how good of an engine the R18 is!

If all the supporting mods were available right now I'd do it and not care what others think.

i don't believe magnaflow cat for r18 is a true high flow cat, it's 49 state replacement cat... just for california civic, it's a less restricted cat

^you know it!!!

Regardless of R18 or K24, everyone's looking to improve their car with their own likes or taste. And whether its for performance or aesthetics or whatever, i think that if you enjoy your car better afterwards, then its a worthwhile mod

you can use 8th gen civic ecu and 8th gen fp... then you can turbo it or supercharge it...

but i think you will lose your imid function

I think that I want to wait for an actual 9th FP to come out, even if it takes a while. I like the iMid so i dont think I would want to get rid of it. Also, Im very curious as to how they would handle the Econ mode with an ECU tune. The roads around me are really hilly and I dont use Econ mode at all, but I know that its a great feature for many R18 owners.

r18, you can do intake, exhaust, header with high flow cat (RV6 is looking into it), underdrive pulley kit, coil-pack upgrade, tbs, aluminum intake manifold, 2.0 stroker kit, 6 speed manual transmission swap, port & polish, knife edge crank shaft, short block balance, and you can reduce the total curb weight down to 2600lbs (lx sedan) or 2500lbs (lx coupe)

compare to 3000lbs si sedan & 2900 lbs si coupe

So that makes the Si 10% heavier but with an engine 25% bigger still bigger potential if you mod both the same way :) ( 300 / 2900 and .6 / 2.4 used for calculation )

Last edited:
So that makes the Si 10% heavier but with an engine 25% bigger still bigger potential if you mod both the same way :) ( 300 / 2900 and .6 / 2.4 used for calculation )

as for power to weight ratio, r18 need to be 2650lbs with flywheel hp of 170 (i dunno the whp) to beat stock si....

Copying and pasting directly from Honda's website....

LX Coupe 2716/2789 (AT/MT)
Si Coupe 2943/2966 (w/ nav)

Regardless, marginal weight difference.

Copying and pasting directly from Honda's website....

LX Coupe 2716/2789 (AT/MT)
Si Coupe 2943/2966 (w/ nav)

Regardless, marginal weight difference.

actually that is reversed AT is heavier than MT so that makes the Coupe Si 177 pounds heavier. Using half tank and no spare tire will bring that even closer. 40 some for the tire 40 some for the half gas tank that brings the diff to 100 pounds.

http://www.honda.ca/civic_coupe/specs Canadian info in kilos but same thing 104 kilos diff. 111 kilos for sedan.

That being said there's nothing wrong with a super modded LX I would like to see what one can do.

E90 M3 CRT

The M3 CRT (Carbon Racing Technology) was announced in June 2011 as a 2012 model.[40] It's powered by the same engine as the GTS, but in opposite to the GTS coupe with roll cage and 4-point harnesses, the CRT is a saloon with navigation, high-end sound system etc. as standard equipment. Despite these luxury extras, the car still weighs 100 pounds less than a regular M3 saloon. Compared to a saloon with the same luxury equipment, it weighs 155 pounds less. The production will be limited to 67 cars, all numbered with a plaque on the dashboard. And it is claimed that it can accelerate from 0 to 62 mph (100 km/h) in just 3.7 seconds.

if you can shave off 200lbs off your car, it's not marginal

Last edited:
civic weight
2013 si sedan 2967 lbs (manual)
2012 si sedan 2954 lbs (manual)
2013 si coupe 2943 lbs (manual)
2012 si coupe 2877 lbs (manual)
2013 ex sedan 2855 lbs (auto)
2013 ex coupe 2837 lbs (auto)
2013 lx sedan 2815 lbs (auto)
2013 lx coupe 2789 lbs (auto)
2013 ex coupe 2771 lbs (manual)
2012 ex sedan 2765 lbs (auto)
2012 ex coupe 2745 lbs (auto)
2013 lx sedan 2740 lbs (manual)
2013 lx coupe 2716 lbs (manual)
2012 lx sedan 2705 lbs (auto)
2012 ex coupe 2681 lbs (manual)
2012 lx coupe 2678 lbs (auto)
2012 dx sedan 2672 lbs (auto)
2012 dx coupe 2657 lbs (auto)
2012 lx sedan 2641 lbs (manual)
2013 dx sedan 2624 lbs (manual) canada
2012 lx coupe 2615 lbs (manual)
2012 dx sedan 2608 lbs (manual)
2012 dx coupe 2594 lbs (manual)

E90 M3 CRT

The M3 CRT (Carbon Racing Technology) was announced in June 2011 as a 2012 model.[40] It's powered by the same engine as the GTS, but in opposite to the GTS coupe with roll cage and 4-point harnesses, the CRT is a saloon with navigation, high-end sound system etc. as standard equipment. Despite these luxury extras, the car still weighs 100 pounds less than a regular M3 saloon. Compared to a saloon with the same luxury equipment, it weighs 155 pounds less. The production will be limited to 67 cars, all numbered with a plaque on the dashboard. And it is claimed that it can accelerate from 0 to 62 mph (100 km/h) in just 3.7 seconds.

if you can shave off 200lbs off your car, it's not marginal

What does that little exert prove? How much faster is the CRT around a track than a normal M3? Besides, the CRT is a lame attempt at making a lightweight m3 and is simply a marketing ploy by BMW to sell a limited amount of overpriced cars. Only 100lbs lighter, uses the heavier DCT gearbox, while still including a lot of pointless amenities that should not be included for a track inspired car.

200lbs is not marginal when you're talking about tracking a vehicle. But given that in this scenario, all of the added weight in the Si are things that make it perform better (engine, lsd, brakes), I would say that this is a pretty irrelevant matter.

What does that little exert prove? How much faster is the CRT around a track than a normal M3? Besides, the CRT is a lame attempt at making a lightweight m3 and is simply a marketing ploy by BMW to sell a limited amount of overpriced cars. Only 100lbs lighter, uses the heavier DCT gearbox, while still including a lot of pointless amenities that should not be included for a track inspired car.

200lbs is not marginal when you're talking about tracking a vehicle. But given that in this scenario, all of the added weight in the Si are things that make it perform better (engine, lsd, brakes), I would say that this is a pretty irrelevant matter.

A GTR or a WRX STI or a 370z is heavier than an Si, they're also way faster than LX or Si. Performance wise weight is not everything thought too much of it can spoil the fun a bit.

A GTR or a WRX STI or a 370z is heavier than an Si, they're also way faster than LX or Si. Performance wise weight is not everything thought too much of it can spoil the fun a bit.

Those cars are vastly overpowered to the Si. At the end of the day power to weight ratio is what's important.

Back