Subaru FT-86 Concept named Subaru BRZ

clevrname

http://www.insideline.com/subaru/brz/2013/2013-subaru-brz-debuts-next-spring.html

• Subaru has named its companion to the Toyota FT-86.
  • The Japanese automaker says the initials stand for "boxer engine," "rear-wheel drive" and "zenith."
  • Production will start in spring 2012.
TOKYO — First came the WRX. Then the STI. Now meet the 2013 Subaru BRZ, the automaker's long-awaited rear-wheel-drive boxer sports car.

Subaru's companion to the Toyota FT-86 (to be marketed in the U.S. as the Scion FR-S has been christened with an all-letter label that is a bit less unwieldy than that of its initial prototype, the clumsily named Boxer Sports Car Architecture Concept (which, in turn, succeeded the equally clunky Subaru Rear-Wheel Drive Sports Car Technology Concept).

Subaru says the initials BRZ actually stand for something — "boxer engine," "rear-wheel drive" and "zenith." That last word is defined by Webster's as "the highest point."

The BRZ was unveiled in concept form earlier this year at the 2011 Geneva Auto Show. A so-called "technology concept" will be shown in September at the 2011 Frankfurt Auto Show, with the full production version of the car slated to appear in December at the 2011 Tokyo Auto Show.

But the company just couldn't leave well enough alone. The Frankfurt car has been saddled with the unwieldy moniker "Subaru BRZ Prologue - Boxer Sports Car Architecture II." Check out a pre-show teaserhere.
Inside Line says: Toyobaru just sounds so much easier to say.

2013_subaru_brz_f34_ns_82311_717.jpg

I'm still confused with the whole thing. Are they going to be two totally different cars with some similar parts?

They're going to change the looks but it's going to share the same engine/drivetrain/frame/suspension components.

So is this the concept for the Subaru side?

attachment.php

I recall seeing the red concept car for toyota

Now hat Subaru says they will make one, I will own it. Subaru> Yota. Sorry Josh.

I've seen some pics, and it's very close to that. I wasn't allowed to take them from work or take pictures of them. But it's VERY close, just a few sharp edges.

And Dawn all is good :bighug: The only reason I will own the Toyota is Subaru=AWD Performance, Toyota=RWD performance. Both companies have proven they can make it amazingly in that category and with cars like the Supra, I just like the Toyota heritage a little more. Plus word on the skeet is the Subaru is gonna be about 2k more sticker wise than the Scion.

wait, you're saying it's going to have fewer sharp edges than the photos above...or just a few, or?

Yeah, let me see if I can find the pic.

FOUND IT! This is the latest rendition to the production model. The big spoiler is going to be an option :facepalm: Subaru is offering it so therefore I guess Toyota thought they should too...

scion-fr-s-002_gallery_image_large.jpg

very cool
have they given legit pricing to either model? I can see the awd system causing a price increase... but do you have an honest idea of what real pricing may be?

It's not going to be offered in AWD by Subaru or Toyota. Strictly RWD. They lowered the Boxer motor and pushed it back 6in compared to the WRX for a better center of gravity. My manger told me he has heard from our Scion rep that it's supposed to start around $21,995.

oh I thought your previous post about subaru and awd... and $2k extra was a reference to that. My bad. Are there benefits to the subaru, being that it's ~$2k more expensive? Just personal choice of what you like more?

I honestly don't know. I have no clue about the Subaru. It's all speculation and just what i've heard as far as what I'm telling you about it. I think Subaru has the ability to charge a little bit more because they're more of a performance line? Scion is all based on "pure price" so none of them are negotiable. You pay sticker, or you don't get it lol.

Back